Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History

Options
  • 15-01-2007 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

Can anyone suggest a way to study LC History? I mean, there's billions of essays that could come up on any one topic... Should I just learn the stuff and hope that I can write an essay about it, or can anyone offer any better advice??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Well, this is awful advice really, but if you have the past papers, just do essays from sample papers. I feel i will do good in european history and my project, but i hate irish history with a passion. Give me Leon Trotsky over Collins anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just learn the essays well enough and you should be fine. If an exact essay title doesnt come up, just take bits out of various essays and it should come together.

Really hope CnG/FF economic policies come up, or propagandas part in Nazi rise to power or warfare technology improvements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Selphie wrote:
    Should I just learn the stuff and hope that I can write an essay about it

That's kind of the thinking behind most LC courses. The marks are for how you construct an argument and make a point. It's quite a useful skill.

Use past papers as a guide to the type of essay that comes up, but don't bank on any 'dead cert' questions. There are at most two or three people out there (not necessarily currently teaching) who are involved in the setting of the papers and they won't be talking. Any tales of 'teachers in my school' always knowing what's coming up are just spoofs.

Make sure to maximise any marks you can in project work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

According to our history teacher, the marks are now done for the amount of paragraphs you do, and the substance of each paragraph. What I'm going to do is get 6 or 7 good points on the potential questions that could come up.

For the mocks, I'm just going to go out on and do about 2 or 3 things pretty good for each topic, eg. Hitler's Foreign Policy for Democracy and Dictatorship. From what I hear though, the mocks paper's a bitch...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yeah the problem with the past papers is you can only really rely on last years. Sample papers don't count, there's no pattern...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Here's the marking scheme guide - it's a .pdf.
    http://www.examinations.ie/exam/LCHistoryMarkingIndicators.pdf

The course may have changed somewhat but the overall aims and objectives of the syllabus have not. I doubt the setters have changed either. There will be a certain amount of value in looking at older papers from the old course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Thanks - sounds like good help. I talked to my teacher today, she said pretty much the same thing. I'd love if Stalin's policies regarding the economic development of Russia and all that came up but that came up last year, so it's pretty doubtful :mad: I like Irish History though, it's fairly straightforward.

Advertisement