Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Translation please

• 15-01-2007 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭

Just want to say "You haven't lived until...you've experienced the culture of another country". I know how to say the rest, but how do I say "You haven't lived"? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 natrisioga

I dont have the translation for what you are looking for but would this sentence fit in with what you are trying to say.

"People live in each other's shadows." "Is fearr an tsláinte ná na táinte." ...

Apparently it means:You can't understand what you haven't experienced ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Um, that means 'Health is better than wealth'. I can't remember the saying for 'people live in each other's shadows', it's something like 'Maireann na daoine i scáth le chéile'.

This is a terrible essay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 natrisioga

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Irish_proverbs- according to them it means what I posted, not doubting you, just trying to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

Just want to say "You haven't lived until...you've experienced the culture of another country". I know how to say the rest, but how do I say "You haven't lived"? Thanks.

You could use "ní maireann tú" which literally translates into English as "you do not live" but in Irish there this tense is normally constructed using the verb "to be" + the verbal noun (sorry for complicating it) but to try that in this case would make for a dreadful mouthful.

I suggest the tidiest way to say this is - "ní maireann tú go dtí go bhfuil taithí agat ar chultúr tíre eile".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

Rosita wrote:
    You could use "ní maireann tú" which literally translates into English as "you do not live" but in Irish there this tense is normally constructed using the verb "to be" + the verbal noun (sorry for complicating it) but to try that in this case would make for a dreadful mouthful.

I suggest the tidiest way to say this is - "ní maireann tú go dtí go bhfuil taithí agat ar chultúr tíre eile".

"Is fearr an tsláinte ná na táinte" does indeed mean "health is better than wealth". Táin is an old word for wealth deriving from the times when wealth was measured in the amount of livestock one owned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Rosita wrote:
    That should be "ní mhaireann tú..." since ní lenites the verb that follows it; however, "You haven't lived until..." is an English idiom that doesn't translate into Irish. You are not literally saying that you will be dead until you've gone abroad, you're saying that experiencing a foreign culture is an extremely exciting/enjoyable/thrilling/whatever experience, that it's incomparable with anything else etc.Try rephrasing the sentence along these lines - how about, "Níl gair ná gaobhar ag rud ar bith ar eolas a chur ar chultúr iasachta."

Advertisement