Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good army surplus shop in Dublin?

• 15-01-2007 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭

Apart from some place off capel street I couldn't find anywhere else in Dublin that does army surplus, which is a pity because I'd like to get a few things.
    s there anywhere around Dublin that does cheap army surplus?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭aido_2006

they are all up around capel st... liffey st uve got outdoor adventure store, mary st has millets n then just up frm that army bargains and on grafton st uve got the great outdoors... they aint cheap, more rip off merchants especially army bargains, dont go near him!! i use this website to get all my equipment www.irishcombataccessories.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 thatstheway

lads there is a army surplus in drogheda called gi.s surplus....this place is the real deal no cheap stuff from china....i got ducth camo there excellent and a fair price..he has the shop full of stuff...well worth a trip down..only 25 mins on the motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

only 25 mins on the motorway.

UP the motorway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

there is eureka army surplus in cork who generally have everything and will post, an protac in the curraugh camp (they also have a website protac.ie), i dont think eureka have a website but if you ring them they can usually sort somthing out for you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Where abouts in drogheda is this place???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Abbey centre,Back of the Cop shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Apart from some place off capel street I couldn't find anywhere else in Dublin that does army surplus, which is a pity because I'd like to get a few things.
    s there anywhere around Dublin that does cheap army surplus?

this kind of thing is dying out. it was big in the eighties.
    i buy from the interet. depends on what you want.
    i am going to the curragh this week as there is some time of army shop there.

aido_2006 wrote: »
    they are all up around capel st... liffey st uve got outdoor adventure store, mary st has millets n then just up frm that army bargains and on grafton st uve got the great outdoors... they aint cheap, more rip off merchants especially army bargains, dont go near him!! i use this website to get all my equipment www.irishcombataccessories.com

army bargains on caple street is not too pricey. they have always given me a discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Army Bargains, is very over-priced. The majority of their stuff is good quality. But they will try sell you everything under the sun. Their "discount" is a sales ploy given to nearly everyone to make them feel special.

Try Millets up the road, they dont have a military specific section anymore but you can still get the likes of para chord tent pegs etc. but if you still have to go to Army "bargains" for camo cream etc etc

Ebay is your friend though! You can anything and anything military related for next to nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bassEjon

lads there is a army surplus in drogheda called gi.s surplus....this place is the real deal no cheap stuff from china....i got ducth camo there excellent and a fair price..he has the shop full of stuff...well worth a trip down..only 25 mins on the motorway.
    if you want the good stuff army surplus dublin is your best bet. Army Bargins off Capel street, there practically everywhere. i have been to this surplus store in drogheda, do not trust this guy. he is full of !%*@. word of mouth brought me there and the same will make me never go back. rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

try protac in the curragh
    http://www.protac.ie/store/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Army Bargains have in past times tried to sell people plastic mess tins.

Take from that what you will.

I do all my shopping either online or in the Great Outdoors. Everywhere else is ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 markarman

I would like to buy an M56 Regiment jacket and although i can find them easily enough online. the postage charges are excessive !!

can anyone point me in the direction of a shop in Dublin? or somone online in the Republic with realistic postage costs?

Thanks in advance

Mark ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I just want some knee-high stompy boots with the hooks for looping laces around but so far, I've yet to find anything in my size.
    Also- anyone know a good place for officer hats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Fuinseog wrote: »
    army bargains on caple street is not too pricey. they have always given me a discount.

I agree, army bargains is the cheapest in Dublin. Millets and the great outdoors are rip off's in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Great Outdoors may be more expensive than Army Bargains but the difference in the standard of kit being sold is ridiculous.

The most I'll ever buy from Army Bargains are trouser ties. For anything else, I go to Great Outdoors and the Internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 woodsman101

Don't know about Dublin, heard there's a new Army Surplus shop in Boyle, Co. Roscommon. Supposed to be quite good, anyone know anything about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

On a visit to Belfast City recently..found a surplus store in the Markets area..just behind Primark Store (Pennys).
    Ex. Army and navy gear including laced up boots etc. Russian Polish German .

A cheap return trip to Belfast Central Station with a shuttle bus to the City Centre is do/able.

Mabye worth a trip.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sig53

As a customer, I have never ever experienced a more grumpy, impatient and rude man as the owner of this shop. I went to Army Bargains to looking for a good quality reasonably priced bag. Like all the other outdoor shops I had visited, I took my time and asked about quality and price. As a student, most of his bags were way over my budget. When he showed me a cheap quality bag I shook my head. He then turned to me and said "Look I prefer if you go somewhere else and buy a bag and don't waste my time." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I have never know a shop assistant to be so rude to a customer. When I went around the corner to Caple Camping and Clothing, the shop assistant there couldn't have been more helpful and knowledgeable. He couldn't do enough for me. When I told him of my experience in the Army Bargains, he said he wasn't surprised. "People come to him all the time and tell him of the rudeness of the owner of Army Bargains. He's made his money and he can afford to be rude to people. He doesn't care about people". Needless to say, I'm really happy with my new Ridge 53 bag from Caple Camping & Clothing for €40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

zombie thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

sig53 wrote: »
    As a customer, I have never ever experienced a more grumpy, impatient and rude man as the owner of this shop. I went to Army Bargains to looking for a good quality reasonably priced bag. Like all the other outdoor shops I had visited, I took my time and asked about quality and price. As a student, most of his bags were way over my budget. When he showed me a cheap quality bag I shook my head. He then turned to me and said "Look I prefer if you go somewhere else and buy a bag and don't waste my time." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I have never know a shop assistant to be so rude to a customer. When I went around the corner to Caple Camping and Clothing, the shop assistant there couldn't have been more helpful and knowledgeable. He couldn't do enough for me. When I told him of my experience in the Army Bargains, he said he wasn't surprised. "People come to him all the time and tell him of the rudeness of the owner of Army Bargains. He's made his money and he can afford to be rude to people. He doesn't care about people". Needless to say, I'm really happy with my new Ridge 53 bag from Caple Camping & Clothing for €40.

You must not have been in many shops.
    Ever hear the phrase "no timewasters?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

There's an Army Surplus place in Midleton, very near near the out-of-town cinema complex. Sells a lot of varied stuff, especially French stuff but also sells a lot of end-of-run workshop equipment, a lot of which is not of any military origin.
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

sig53 wrote: »
    I took my time and asked about quality and price. As a student, most of his bags were way over my budget. When he showed me a cheap quality bag I shook my head. He then turned to me and said "Look I prefer if you go somewhere else and buy a bag and don't waste my time." I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
    So, you went into a shop, asked about quality, couldn't afford it, didn't want the cheap one, and was then asked to leave for wasting the shop keepers time? Sounds reasonable.

Have bought a good deal of stuff there, most of which I try before I buy (ensure boots fit me, ensure I can fit into tents, etc), and find the shop keep to the point (and without the "I own this" or "this is what the SAS use" bullsh|t I have gotten elsewhere).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

mockler007 wrote: »

crazy money- it seems most of the stuff on this site originates here www.troph-e-shop.com/en have got plenty off them over the years, very reasonable.

the outlet in Killarney has a big army shop.
    avoid Protac in the Curragh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/

Good prices, good quality and very good people. Have yet to hear a bad thing about them. Best advice to ring and speak to them in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pilastr

Can you elaborate for a visiting yank? Where in Killarney? Sounds like exactly what I seek.
    Fuinseog wrote: »
    the outlet in Killarney has a big army shop.
    avoid Protac in the Curragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I was there last year, it's the Outlet Centre in Fairhill. It's an easy walk from the Killarney Town Centre. Quite easy to find. The army surplus shop is on the first floor, or in American terms second floor. Seemed to have a lot of British desert stuff and the inevitable German surplus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

The Outlet centre is beside the Bus and Train station. But don't forget that compared to American Army Surplus shops I've been in, any of the ones I've been in, in Ireland, are a pale imitation

Thanks for the help. Specifically I hope to find warm sleeping bags for late Oct camping. Only need them for two weeks, then hope to sell or more likely abandon.

Will Army Surplus stores carry bags under 40EUR? Does anyone rent camping gear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

pilastr wrote: »
    Thanks for the help. Specifically I hope to find warm sleeping bags for late Oct camping. Only need them for two weeks, then hope to sell or more likely abandon.

Will Army Surplus stores carry bags under 40EUR? Does anyone rent camping gear?

You'll be better off buying cheap online than going with army surplus. Surplus is not cheap here, and surplus army bags will be decades behind commercial stuff. Will you be camping in a site, festival or out in the wild?

Donny5 wrote: »
    You'll be better off buying cheap online than going with army surplus. Surplus is not cheap here, and surplus army bags will be decades behind commercial stuff. Will you be camping in a site, festival or out in the wild?

Sorry for the slow reply.
    We'll be car camping at sites. Seeing B&B prices knocked us for a loop so we picked up a tent!
    I think Argos has a double bag, 400gsm, for €75. Hopefully that's warm enuf for late October.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 2 widzew10

im looking winter parka jacket anyone knows good store in dublin or co.kildare regards

widzew10 wrote: »
    im looking winter parka jacket anyone knows good store in dublin or co.kildare regards

maybe a fleece would be better?

• Advertisement
Advertisement