Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing to BT

Options
  • 15-01-2007 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I am thinking of changing from Eircom to BT. Are there any hidden problems with this, such as, do I need to change router. If so, does this involve a long down time as the switch over takes place. What about e-mail addresses, ours is currently with eircom.net. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I know people who have changed any used their old eircom router. I used a crowd called www.switch4.ie and it only took 2 weeks to go from dial up to BT 1 Mbp. Sometimes BT can take a lot longer. Some people say BT customer service is terrible-I haven't had to use them much. Bt seems good value if you have friends in the UK you want to ring for free! Sorry don't know about E-mail situation- I'd be surprised if you couldn't keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

You dont need to change router, if you know how to configure the username/password in router configuration settings then there is 0 downtime as the dsl is never de-activated, all that has to be done is to put the new username and password into your netopia router.

You will only be able to access the incoming mail part of your eircom.net address as i believe eircom block access to the smtp server when your accessing it from a non-eircom network..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You'll still be able to send/receive using your eircom account if you use webmail.eircom.net

Advertisement