Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best way to guarantee a PS3 on launch day?

• 15-01-2007 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭

Ok,
    I have been waiting for an eternity for this launch and at last the waiting is almost over.

I called into my local xtravision today and they are taking pre-orders if you pay a €100 booking deposit.

I asked the manager how many pre-orders have they received so far and she said 8 so far and this is in Tullamore.

I asked her is there a chance of stopping pre-orders if they are over booked and she said yes. She also does not know how many consoles her shopp will be allocated as all shops pre-orders are computerised from one central location and then dispersed accordingly.

Can anyone out there give me some good solid advice on the easiest way to be sure to get an Irish PS3 on launch day? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

best advice is to try to have someone else(more the better) at another shop and have as many of these very helpful friends of yours be as far up the line as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

pre-booking is the only way if you've no friends working in a store. always ask how many pre-orders there are first. if it's in double figures it's best to leave it. a lot of stores should only expect allocation of 5 or 6 machines, unless they're a major store in a major place (game on henry st, for example)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Having friends in "high places" is always one way as people have mentioned.
    But what I found works for me, if you have the money that is, just book it in as many places as you can.Keep in mind to ask if all your deposits are refundable, or if you have a friend lined up to take any deposit that's not to your suiting.

I have the Playstation 3 booked in 3 places now.Two of them since August last year, so I'm pretty sure I'm getting one as I am Number 1, 5 and 16 on the lists.

I have the Playstation 3 booked in 3 places now.Two of them since August last year, so I'm pretty sure I'm getting one as I am Number 1, 5 and 16 on the lists.

that's all well and good, but did that not cost you €300? i know it's refundable, but i'd rather book in one place, get the machine guarinteed (i.e. be high on the list) and keep putting money into my prebook so i have to pay less when it arrives.

It cost me €200, the two other places only took €50 deposits.
    But it was no problem really, I don't need that money right now, and I will get it back in the end so it's not a problem.And it also means that if any of my mates are stuck and don't get the console I'll have a booking to sell them.
    That's what happened with the Wii, and weren't they happy I booked it more than once.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

What about normal people that are happy with one booking. They have people like you filling up booking space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Xtravision isnt a good choice imho. They took prebookings for Wii and never got any in...yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

:eek:

i thought unless the amouts of ps3 are not enough(less than 8 per shop averagely),you still can walk in and buy after the launh day!:eek:

anyway,if you really worry about it,book it at those bigger shops,the chances are bigger,they might have more stock?

Skyuser,

I'm not taking any extra PS3's..
    Any of my friends who want a PS3 will get my other bookings, how have I done anything wrong?And if my friends don't want my bookings I'll check here.
    And if nobody here wants one I'll get my money back, and anyone else on that stores list who wants one will get a phone call....
    Also even if the above wasn't the case...I don't really care, if it helps me get one then that's all that matters.

Kanney wrote:
    Xtravision isnt a good choice imho. They took prebookings for Wii and never got any in...yet.

true enough, but xv deal very closely with sony. during the psp launch xv got more units then anyone else, and xv have got a deal with sony to guarintee pre-book units at the very least (because xv's history involves a high attach rate of games with hardware)

• Advertisement

I got two Wii's on launch day, one in GAME on Henry street and the other in my local Xtra Vision, so they didn't let me down in the slightest.
    I hope it's the same with the PS3 though, it saves me a trip into the City Centre if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

...I don't really care, if it helps me get one then that's all that matters.
    I really really hope you don't get one. Or better still, you get one and it falls and smashes into bits.

Ha ha! I found it funny how you neglected to quote the rest of my post, and then made an incredibly childish comment.Unfortunately for you, I'm one of the very few who will get a console on launch day, and it will be thanks to me not just putting all my eggs in one basket.

I don't take risks when it comes to consoles on launch, this is how I have been getting them up until now so why should I change?
    Oh because some guy on a forum holds a grudge against me for insuring myself a console, and helping my friends and fellow boarders get one.

Anyway...real mature response, well done.

Advertisement