Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Wiring?

Options
  • 15-01-2007 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Need a little advice

My Immersion heater timer has stopped working so I've bought a new digital timer (greenbrook) and am having problems wiring it up

I've opened up the my old timer and I'm looking at 3 sets of 3 wires.
    One set (Live,Neutral,Earth) going to the element at the top of the tank and the other set going to the element at the bottom of the tank. The final set are going into the wall - I assume back to the fuse box and mains.

My problem is the new digital timer I have bought has room for the power coming in from the mains (L,N,E) and only one output (L,N,E) as such. How do I go about wiring this up or am I making any sense!

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Route this LNE from the timer through to the input side a standard immersion switch, i.e. the one with Bath - sink and Off - on and you should be ok. Surface mount this if necessary. (I take it you dont have this as it stands.) You can use your timer to bring on your power supply at a particular time and then use the switch to select which element to power on. Just make sure that you have the on - off switch set to "on".

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Manic...

Avns1s wrote:
    Route this LNE from the timer through to the input side of your standard immersion switch, i.e. the one with Bath - sink and Off - on and you should be ok.

I dont have a standard immersion switch just a timer.

Found a diagram of it (attached) if thats any help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Manic... wrote:
    I dont have a standard immersion switch just a timer.

Found a diagram of it (attached) if thats any help

I gathered that point so you have two options. Either go with the suggestion that I gave before, or get a timer that can accommodate both elements in your immersion.

As it is (or should I say, as I understand it) there is only one output from your timer. Without the switch as I suggested, you will only be able to power one of the elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Manic...

Avns1s wrote:
    As it is (or should I say, as I understand it) there is only one output from your timer. Without the switch as I suggested, you will only be able to power one of the elements.

Looks like this is what I'll do

Question - which element do I use the boost or night saver? I want to program the timer to turn on for a hour every morning so I assume I use the night saver element? Does this mean I cannot overide this during the day and switch on for an hour or so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

you bring the power into the timer(rated for immersion load) first and then onto the immersion switch, you can switch then between sink/bath

• Advertisement
Advertisement