Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Project and Question hopes

Options
  • 16-01-2007 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

I have 3 sources for my project but two are internet sources the other is a book, is this fine or are 2 books required?

Secondy what questions would you like and think will come up,
    I have no idea what questions might come up but god if the Eastern question, Weimar Republic, rise of the nazis came up i would be delighted.

I am worried about Irish History

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

As far as I know, I think your sources are okay. You could always get another book to be on the safe side, and just take a line from it or something, but to be honest, I don't think it matters. My teacher always recommends that one is from a general history book, but any book at all should be grand. What're you doing your project on anyways?
    About questions that'll come up, I've no ideas!!! I'm praying that Sinn Fein and the 1918 election will come up, that's fairly easy, and also something about Hitler!
    I'm worried about both equally, though slightly (very slightly) more confident about Irish. The thing is, there's just so much to learn!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I cant stand Irish History, I didnt listen when we were doing it so im really far behind, I cant match events up better go now and get to work.
    Im doing my project on the game of death, Dynamo Kiev vs Nazis

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

From what my teacher says, its better to have 2 book sources and only 1 internet. It shows you've gone out, got a book and read it ie. done more work. I have 4 sources, 2 books, 1 internet, and 1 kinda book thing, more a monthly publication.

As for questions, warfare technology, Allied victory against Nazis in WWII, FF/CnG economic policies 1922-1939, Wilhelms navy policy would be nice. That covers each book anyway, obviously apart from Documents. Hope the GAA comes up for documents, despite doing better in the Lockout one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Two books for higher level.

Irish- Strike and Lockout 1913 would be nice, 1885-86 elections came up last year. Hoping for a Rising question.

American- Moon Landing would be cool, or counter-culture.

Europe- the usual consolidation of pwer questions, but preferably just Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

um hey can sumone help us with the project i was thinking the nanjing massacre(yea leave it to me to do one ppl havent heard of:P) but umm i cant find 3 sources lol i have one site n one book but cant find anything else on it emm any advice for me or any ideas for a rele easy topic are appreated too lol:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Did you type that into wikipedia? They usually have external sources for whatever you're looking for.

I'm hoping for Hitler's foreign policy, the GAA as the case study, Bismarck's Realpolitik and I've only really started the 1914 onwards Irish book...

Did you type that into wikipedia? They usually have external sources for whatever you're looking for.
    wud all the External links down near the bottom count as sources if yes theres like 10 sources there:D wud wikipedia itself count as a source? n can 2 sources be sites?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Remember if you are near Dublin that there are vast resources (original documents) in the National Archives and the Gilbert Library. The staff are very helpful and if contacted beforehand they will have pertinent documents and sources for you when you arrive.

Now 'that' would be using different sources.

unfortunitly i prolly wont be near dublin anytime soon ive considered changing cuz the library here in waterford has like nothing on the subject lol

I used wikipedia as a source. I'm sure it's fine, still a website after all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'd try and get another book as a source if I were you.

As for questions, I'm not too confident about the Irish History yet, it's been a while since we've done it and are only starting to revise it this week. Hopefully The 1918 General Election will come up though.

I'd try and get another book as a source if I were you.

As for questions, I'm not too confident about the Irish History yet, it's been a while since we've done it and are only starting to revise it this week. Hopefully The 1918 General Election will come up though.
    If they've got the quote linked with the book it came from, I see no reason why not to use that quote and say the source was that book.

If they've got the quote linked with the book it came from, I see no reason why not to use that quote and say the source was that book.
    lol i like the way u think:D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

I'm doing the Nanking Massacre as well but focusing on the foreign nationals in the city. What are you going to focus on or will you just do the whole thing?

I used 3 sources
    The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang
    The Good German of Nanking by John Rabe
    Eyewitnesses to Massacre by Zhang Kaiyuan

Hope I helped

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

mr.noobie wrote:
    wud all the External links down near the bottom count as sources if yes theres like 10 sources there:D wud wikipedia itself count as a source? n can 2 sources be sites?

Wikipedia can be biased, because anybody can edit it, and because of that- hard to pinpoint an author, which you'd need. try it's external sources, and search amazon for book titles- then order them into chapters. Chapters will order in any book from anywhere in the world, as long as it's in print.

sophya wrote:
    I'm doing the Nanking Massacre as well but focusing on the foreign nationals in the city. What are you going to focus on or will you just do the whole thing?

I used 3 sources
    The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang
    The Good German of Nanking by John Rabe
    Eyewitnesses to Massacre by Zhang Kaiyuan

Hope I helped
    i was planing to focus on the crimes committed by the japanese army but i spose 2 of those books u mentioned cud be used for that aswell so ye u helped:p
    Wikipedia can be biased, because anybody can edit it, and because of that- hard to pinpoint an author, which you'd need. try it's external sources, and search amazon for book titles- then order them into chapters. Chapters will order in any book from anywhere in the world, as long as it's in print.
    heh found out from my history teacher yesterday that the library we have in skool will actually track down the books for us so its all good there thankfully lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Just to let you know, the books you use as sources do not have to be solely about your topic, as long as it provides some information about it, it can be used.

To give an example, I did mine on the flight of Rudolf Hess in 1941, and used a book called Myths and Legend of the Second World War, which had a chapter relating to my subject matter.

So you could try and find some books on Chinese or Japanese history in the 20th century, scan through them and see if they have anything relevant to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

would love if bismark came up in any shape or form, eastern question, mussolini. u just cant beat cumann na ngaedhael or fianna fail in irish history. its practically a guaranteed question. hope the gaa comes up in documents. as for all of u ppl talking bout ur project, i havent evn got a title yet. anyone kno wats cumin up 4 d mocks? i kno theyrs like 2 different papers but any hints at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I wouldnt use wikipedia as a source
    looks to lazy tbh
    use one of the sources like someone else said at the bottom of the article

1huge1 wrote:
    I wouldnt use wikipedia as a source
    looks to lazy tbh
    use one of the sources like someone else said at the bottom of the article
    The sources at the bottom of the articles are usually books. What sort of a website would be deemed specific enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

try google book search, that like highlights every line in the book that has the phrase your looking for or whatever, i only have one book and like a crapload of internet sources but my teacher said thats ok! also try the bbc and stuff for like news and programmes and stuff!

Advertisement