Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

removing the battery

Options
  • 16-01-2007 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,
    I would like to remove the battery from my car to charge it - completely
    dead at the moment ... can this be done by a complete novice with no
    car mechanic skills ?

it is a ford fiesta

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

rushbrook wrote:
    Hi,
    car mechanic skills ?

it is a ford fiesta

thanks
    If it's completely dead then removing it should make no difference. How old is the car? Does it have a coded radio?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Or just get it push/jump started and take it for a spin, preferably during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Turn off the alarm (if applicable).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Get a trickle charger and leave it connected while not in use.
    Keeps the battery in shape.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

rushbrook wrote:
    Hi,
    car mechanic skills ?

it is a ford fiesta

thanks

Yeah rushbook its easy to do. First find out if your radio is coded (like anon said) , because removing the batery will mean you will need to enter the code on your radio when you reconect it. If you know the original dealer of the car they will have the code. Next turn your alarm off (if it has one) and unlock the doors, to be on the safe side leave a door open. Then go to the battery, the leads will be connected to the poles with a small nut or bolt on each one, probably 10 mil or there about. Losen the one on the negative (black cable) first and remove the cable and push it clear of the pole. Then do the same with the positive (red cable). Then look around the battery and see what is securing the battery in position, prabably a metal braket held with a bolt, undo the bolt and lift the battery clear. The put it back do the reverse, connecting the positive lead before the negative ect.

While you have your battery there it would be worth checking the cell levels. They are the six holes on top of the battery. Unscrew, or pop out, the caps covering them as appropriate and if they aren't filled (almost) to the top, fill them up with water. To the top or to the marker inside the cell. (Some batteries are sealed units and will not have accesible cells, but most are not).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

slipss wrote:
    While you have your battery there it would be worth checking the cell levels. They are the six holes on top of the battery. Unscrew, or pop out, the caps covering them as appropriate and if they aren't filled (almost) to the top, fill them up with water.

Use only distilled water. Do not put tap water into your battery.

Advertisement