Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Trial of Tony Blair

Options
  • 16-01-2007 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Anyone see the Trial of Tony Blair on More4 last night?

I thought it was quite interesting. The prospect of a Western leader facing trial over the Iraq War.....

Certainly, it's put the idea out there in a way I haven't seen before.

Do you think this might change people's preconceptions?

Comments

I didn't see the show. Just curious to know what he was being tried for? Were every other member of the "coalition of the willing" also tried for equal particaption?

Frankly, I'd be more interested in seeing a Trial of GW than Blair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think its repeated on C4 tonight at 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I think its repeated on C4 tonight at 10pm

Nice one, thanking you. Too busy to look at scheduling! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I didn't see the show. Just curious to know what he was being tried for? Were every other member of the "coalition of the willing" also tried for equal particaption?

Frankly, I'd be more interested in seeing a Trial of GW than Blair.

As the Americans don't recognise the ICC, George is off the hook (being found comatose at his ranch and once more in rehab). However, President Hilary Clinton is more than happy to let Blair be nailed as the requisite sacrificial lamb.

Someone needs to pay after the mess that is Iraq, the botch job attacks on Iranian nuclear sites etc.

Brown has had enough of Blair as well and doesn't stop the Hague extraditing him. Blair is charged with War Crimes and presiding over the illegal military attack on a sovereign nation.

It's quite a good show. Insightful in places, whimsical in others. It doesn't quite hit the satirical heights it aims for but it is a timely piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

quad_red wrote:

It's quite a good show. Insightful in places, whimsical in others. It doesn't quite hit the satirical heights it aims for but it is a timely piece.

I would more or less agree with this, very whimsical indeed, i would love to have seen Tony Blairs reaction to how he was portrayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Would have loved to see the hague bit. Ended too quick. Gordon browns character didnt pull it off to well!

Although some moments were good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

quad_red wrote:
    As the Americans don't recognise the ICC

He isn't off the hook with respect to the Geneva Convention, Nuremburg Charter , The UN Charter and US law though.
    According to US law he's actually in line to follow where he has sent so many as Texas Governor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

That show highlighted why the US opposes the ICC. Politically motivated show trials. There is zero difference legally between the Iraq war and the Kosovo war. Both were waged without UN approval, and thus equally were "illegal wars of aggression" etc etc. Outside of Serbia and various sympathisers theres little talk of putting Clinton on trial for war crimes.

That said, some of it was pretty good - Blair was portrayed as a vain, self important twit which was amusing in parts. The bitchiness between him and Brown raised a few smiles as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think I'll catch this tonight on More 4 at 9 pm (if anyone needs to know!).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The best bits were about him writing his memoirs in which he uses the phrase "the hand of history on my shoulder" 29 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

My only complaint is that it wasn't real.

I know I'm probably naive, and maybe there is some kind of justification for Britain allying itself to the USA as international law enforcement, but I've not heard a good argument for it yet.

I've yet to be convinced that the war in Iraq is justifiable - yes, there were things happening there which shouldn't have been happening in this day and age, and we had every right to be concerned. But there are Saddams all over the world and we don't seem to be bothered by them, which indicates that the war in Iraq was either for personal reasons (on behalf of Dubya) or oil - or both.

I'd like to see a British Government that doesn't set itself up as judge and jury and either helps in a positive, more neutral, non-violent way, or keeps out of the affairs of other nations. But that would be asking it to change the habit of the country's life time.

But like I said, I'm probably naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 philbhoy

quad_red wrote:
    As the Americans don't recognise the ICC, George is off the hook (being found comatose at his ranch and once more in rehab). However, President Hilary Clinton is more than happy to let Blair be nailed as the requisite sacrificial lamb.

Someone needs to pay after the mess that is Iraq, the botch job attacks on Iranian nuclear sites etc.

Brown has had enough of Blair as well and doesn't stop the Hague extraditing him. Blair is charged with War Crimes and presiding over the illegal military attack on a sovereign nation.

You mention Dubya being back in rehab.

Do you have a source for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

philbhoy wrote:

It's a TV show:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

philbhoy wrote: