Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange one!

• 16-01-2007 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Not so much a question as just an odd experience. My Girlfriend bought a 512mb Kingston MMC card for her N70 - it was not sealed but was 'new'. She's had it no problems prior to this.

She has Symantec AV on her phone, as do I, but in all honesty I've never had mine detect anything nor has she. We put in the memory card - almost immediately - "CommWarrior infection detected!"

Phone is now totally borked, sending messages to other people and randomly powering off.

Again, its not a question, we know what CW is and how to get rid of it, but to think it came from a new card? Did some asshole deliberating use it, and return it for fun? We brought it back to where we got it and they were really helpful and rather embarrassed, took the phone in to reflash it.

Just thought it was a tad strange...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

You really can't say for certain, unless maybe you put the card into another phone and see if the same thing happens.

Generally, shops wouldn't sell 'second' items, but maybe this got through the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

what would i do in this situation :rolleyes:

See if i can put a sim which has no credit on it and then go in the system and take that software out

Normally you should always format card before using it.

Having antivirus in the phone :) i dont buy that idea

Phones are not like computers
    you can get infected because of your own mistakes
    if you would have scanned that card using ur pc and then would have formated it i dont think u had any risk there

its my opinion !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

what would i do in this situation :rolleyes:

See if i can put a sim which has no credit on it and then go in the system and take that software out

Normally you should always format card before using it.

Having antivirus in the phone :) i dont buy that idea

Phones are not like computers
    you can get infected because of your own mistakes
    if you would have scanned that card using ur pc and then would have formated it i dont think u had any risk there

its my opinion !

In fairness most people, when they buy a new card, do not think they need to re-format it. Maybe you do, but its hardly 'our own mistake' for simply putting what was supposed to be a brand new card into the phone. And what's wrong with Anti Virus on a phone? Just phone a Symbian phone isn't 'like a computer' doesn't take away from the fact that people write viruses for the Symbian OS as well.

And you can't just casually browse the phones system folders and remove CommWarrior. You need to flash the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

She has Symantec AV on her phone.....

so whats the point of having antivirus if it dosent protect you ?

I worked for the company in question

The truth is that Your Antivirus is as good as its virus definetions and with mobile phones this is not possible to update them 2 times everyday.
    So that defeats the purpose

Yes there are viruses everywhere but they infect u with reason and logic
    its all methamatics.for every occourance there has to be a reason.

in your case u inserted the card without formating believing it to be safe !

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2005-030721-2716-99

here is the antivirus product addressing that issue but i delieve it didnt have the update to deal with that issue so it went un noticed.

Discovered: March 7, 2005
    Updated: April 10, 2006 11:25:32 AM ZE9
    Also Known As: Commwarrior.A [F-Secure], SymbOS/Commwarrior.a [McAfee], SYMBOS_COMWAR.A [Trend Micro]
    Type: Worm
    Systems Affected: EPOC

Removal using the Symantec Mobile Threats Removal Tool
    Symantec Security Response has developed a removal tool to clean the infections of SymbOS.Commwarrior.A. Use this removal tool first, as it is the easiest way to remove this threat.

Manual Removal:
    To remove SymbOS.Commwarrior.A:

Install a file manager program on the phone.
    Enable the option to view the files in the system directory.
    Search the drives, A through Y, for the \system\apps\commwarrior directory.
    Delete the files commwarrior.exe and commrec.mdl.
    Go to the \system\updates\commwarrior directory.
    Delete the files commwarrior.exe, commrec.mdl, and commw.sis.
    Go to the \system\recogs directory.
    Delete the file commrec.mdl.

Its a year old virus so u definately havent updated ur virus definetions

having virus protection and not updating is like having no protection at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I also have the N70. That AV was awful -- updating virus definitions would rob you on GPRS!

I uninstall the AV and reformatted my memory card. Should even improve performance. Failing that, she could back up contacts, messages, media, etc. and reflash the phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement