Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Creche

Options
  • 16-01-2007 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, just wondering if it's standard that a creche will ask parents to pay the insurance for each child annually, or is it covered in the weekly/monthly payments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I never heard of a separate charge for insurance, always assumed it was included in the price quoted (I was shopping around for creches last year).

Either way, you will end up paying the same I'd imagine.

Or do they mean for you to pay the insurance company directly yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

No they just have a notice up saying that X amount is now due immediately for insurance cost for each child. It was the same last year. I've never heard of any other creche charging a separate amount like that every year, then again I suppose parents just don't mention it or question it.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

And if you dont pay, is your child not insured? I'm no expert but surely it is mandatory for the creche to have insurance in place for every child in the creche not just those who have paid in time.

It seems a very strange way of doing things as ultimately you end up paying for the insurance anyway. May be they do it to "massage" the weekly price and make it look better than other local creches. A bit underhand if you ask me.

It is possible that it started after 9/11 when insurance prices went through the roof and the creche decided to charge separately as they had no control over what the insurance would cost from year to year. That shouldn't really apply now as insurance cost have settled down.

I'm assuming here that you were informed of this extra payment up front, if not then it's totally out of order.

Not much help, I'm sorry, as I assume you have no choice but to pay up or move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

I have a daughter in a creche and have a number of friends and work colleagues with kids in different creches and no one has ever heard of insurance being charged seperately. I would be surprised if insurance was not mandatory for the creche and would think that it is the responsibility of the creche.

Thanks for the replies. I'll query it with them now that I know it's not the usual thing in creches.

It started last year, parents were told before Christmas that the insurance would need paying in January. This year the notice stating the amount and that it was due was just put up in the creche (this week). Incidentally, the cost always rises every new year too. I don't know if they're charging it separately to massage the figures or not but there are nearly ten creches in the town and this one is by no means the cheapest. Actually it's towards the top end of the prices. Mind you it pays both the owner and her husband as well as the girls who actually work there. Looks like that's the business to be in!

A bit off topic but when we booked her in there as a baby we were told the cost would decrease by 90-100 per month once the child was able to spoon-feed herself (about 1 year old or less). This never happened. I did ask about it since but was told that she still needs help occassionally. I've no problem with the staff, facilities or the quality of care but I think it might be time to check out the other creches in town again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

dame wrote:
    A bit off topic but when we booked her in there as a baby we were told the cost would decrease by 90-100 per month once the child was able to spoon-feed herself (about 1 year old or less). This never happened. I did ask about it since but was told that she still needs help occassionally. I've no problem with the staff, facilities or the quality of care but I think it might be time to check out the other creches in town again!

LOL - spoon feeding herself as criteria for reducing cost!!! That's an unusual one, especially seeing as she would still need supervision and its probably slower and messier than them feeding her.

The creche my daughter is in reduces the costs once they reach a certain age, the reason for that is the children to one minder ratio increases as the children get older and this reduces the cost to the creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Eh, so long as they declare both the weekly/monthly charge plus the insurance charge then it shouldn't be an issue. If they didn't mention the extra charge for insurance until 'later on' then it's a completely different story.

It could be just a method for appearing cheaper but tbh just add the two together work out the 'true' weekly/monthly cost and then use that when comparing with other creches.

Obviously, and more importantly compare facilities, staff, food on offer, etc...

Advertisement