Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will anyone actually switch stations because of strawberry alarm clock?

• 16-01-2007 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

So with the Strawberry alarm clock lads off to 2FM will anyone here actually switch stations in the morning or stick it out with 104?

Will you switch? 36 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 36 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

I've listened to the Strawberry for years (since it was Joan, Justin & Colm).
    I'll switch but if the format changes or the show gets less funny I'll have to look elsewhere, though where I don't know - I'm not keen on any of the alternatives at the moment.

It will not however, as 2FM intended, hold me to listen to Ryan. The only time I listen to him is when I'm subjected to the best of show on Saturday's in the hairdressers *shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Yeah id be the same id listen to the Strawberrys but as soon as Ryan came on the Radio would go off or over to Ray on Today FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

having had to listened to fm104 this morning I will definitely be switching to 2fm for breakfast - but I wont be hanging around for Gerry Ryan, cant imagine many strawberry listeners will!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

I will deffo switch to 2fm. I think colm hayes and jim jim should do a breakfast show on the telly. It would be good to eat my brekkie and watch the ALARM CLOCK then listen to it on the radio on the way to work. Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

I am switching too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Smiley101

Why is it called the 'SRAWBERRY' Alarm clock anyway????
    What have strawberries got to do with morning time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Wow this is wierd. I didnt think anyone actually listened to that pack of tw*ts. They are about as funny as George Hook and just as irritating.

I was hoping this thread was about them being axed or something. I cant believe they actually have a following. That is truly bizzare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Foolitz

Maccattack wrote:
    Wow this is wierd. I didnt think anyone actually listened to that pack of tw*ts.
    I was hoping this thread was about them being axed or something. I cant believe they actually have a following. That is truly bizzare.

HA ha ha! A following??? Check out their Bebo, they have a huuuuge following.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Foolitz wrote:
    HA ha ha! A following??? Check out their Bebo, they have a huuuuge following.

So did the Nazis -> Godwins law invoked -> Close the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i will switch, but i'm not switching "stations" per se. strawberry's is one of the best things on Irish radio these days (imo), and i hope 2fm gives them the freedom they deserve. they're the only show i'd genuinely re-tune a radio for.

so for the mornings it's 2fm now, and phantom the rest of the day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I wasn't able to listen to them on 104 since I moved away from Dublin, so am looking forward to being able to hear Colm and Jim-Jim on the radio again... so it's a Yes from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Bard wrote:
    I wasn't able to listen to them on 104 since I moved away from Dublin...

Yea same here but unsure if i'll tune to 2FM now just for them... time will tell I gues

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

I never really listende to the radio other than FM104 in the mornings. Strawberry Alarm clock was very funny - Mat Molloy and Gavin used to crack me up. 2fm i hope let them do what they do best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

I'll certainly be listening, cant wait to see what the fuss is all about. I've heard a lot over the years from cousins & other people livin in dublin ravin on about them!

Its about time RTE got somethin decent/fun/interestin (i could go on!) to listen to in the mornin since The Full Irish (betcha it'll be debatable)
    As he was hard to listen for first couple of weeks, b4 becomin a cult!
    But enuff of him @ moment, Its the Strawberry's moment & roll on March 5!

PS. there should be a poll on John Clarke's (2fm boss) show on Sunday's as its only a taster for Jim o Neill's show, which is a lot better!

Sorry for goin off topic there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Maybe you should add a third option to the poll?

One that says "I'll be changing to another station"

The muppets they have on the strawberry now are truly awful and I dont think the lads are going to make it work on 2fm, they certainly arent worth chasing across the airwaves imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Sizzler wrote:
    they certainly arent worth chasing across the airwaves imo.

Yeah, as it's really difficult to push another button isn't it. I can't understand this thread in the first place. I listen to them too in the morning and just because they've moved to another station, which seems to be trendy to dislike, isn't going to stop me listening to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Jip wrote:
    Yeah, as it's really difficult to push another button isn't it. I can't understand this thread in the first place. I listen to them too in the morning and just because they've moved to another station, which seems to be trendy to dislike, isn't going to stop me listening to them.

What is not to understand. RTE have obviously invested alot of money to get the alarm clock guys over so as to combat their declining listenership. I was just interested to see if people would actually switch over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I cant believe anyone actually listens to this moronic tripe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

CiaranC wrote:
    I cant believe anyone actually listens to this moronic tripe.

i was wondering when someone from the elite would join the conversation. go on, tell us to switch to newstalk's absolutely horrendous morning programming. go on, do it. you know you want to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Jip wrote:
    Yeah, as it's really difficult to push another button isn't it.

You missed the point :o

I made that statement as they arent any good so why would I bother me arse listening to them on 2fm when I never listened to them in the first place :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Sizzler wrote:
    You missed the point :o

I made that statement as they arent any good so why would I bother me arse listening to them on 2fm when I never listened to them in the first place :confused:

Let me stick in my tuppence worth. I'm with Sizzler on this. I should add that I am probably older than the upper end of the target group for the Strawberries and, presumably 2FM by extension.

I never could take more than 5 or 10 minutes of that kind of radio in the morning. Incidentally, Colm Hayes used to be great doing his 2-hander thing with Bob Gallicoe on Radio Nova in the 80s. Maybe you have to be of a particular age to appreciate this kind of radio.

Anyway, for me these days it is a mixture of DCAL's Live-Drive, Sinister Pete on Phantom FM, a bit of Newstalk with Ger and Clare and very occasionally a bit of Ian Dempsey on Today FM... oh, and the odd cd track! Its a wonder, with all that knob-turning, that I don't contribute to the traffic chaos reported on Live-Drive!

My point is that Strawberry Alarm Clock is unlikely to sway a no. of people in their listening habits, including many Dublin listeners, who, as you can see, have more variety in licensed stations than ever these days.

BTW, I think it was a clever move by 2FM and they could indeed get a lot of people to switch from FM104. Ok, I might tune in March out of curiosity, if I remember!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm with Sizzler....the poll options are very restricted. Considering that the show is now going to a national station, the "stick with 104" is far from comprehensive.

My "no" vote simply meant that I wouldn't be tuning in to RTE 2fm to see what all the fuss was about, but it'll look like I'm "sticking with 104", which is kindof impossible.
    Jip wrote:
    Yeah, as it's really difficult to push another button isn't it.
    You're assuming that everyone has RTE 2fm on a preset......I certainly don't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Liam Byrne wrote:
    You're assuming that everyone has RTE 2fm on a preset......I certainly don't!

No, but I assume you have a tune up/down button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I'm switching... along with most of the people visiting Jim Jim's BEBO since last Friday. 77k hits on any BEBO page ain't that bad even if it is "Tripe" to some posters. I think the fear of most loyal listeners to the former presenters is will the show be the same? I believe it can only be the same. Take JK and Joel on BBC R1. Doing the excat same thing as they were on Local radio.

Roll on March 5. Can't wait. The nation's 15-34's finally get a national breakfast show they can call their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I'll be changing if the format remains the same..
    The last few mornings I've tried listening to the other options, but each time resorted to throwing on my mp3 player instead..
    I have to say I preferred Colm, Justin & Joan over the current format and usually tended to turn off when Colm wasn't on it recently as Jim Jim is boring on his own, but its definitely the best morning show around! Can't believe we've to wait that long though - a month & a half of tripe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Probably listen to them, but like Declan A Walsh above I don't mind switching stations on the drive to work if a song/bit comes on I don't like. Certainly can't listen to the people doing FM104's morning show this week.

Only ever listen ot radio in the car (bar the odd Newstalk sportshow at home) so won't be sticking around for Ryan (wouldn't anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 humphty

The rest of the country that don't get fm104, won't know whats hit them.
    Anything will beat listenin to over the hill men talkin about potholes (or is that just my local radio station?!)
    Anyway I think Spin have the best breakfast show, lads are gas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'll switch off 2FM in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yes I'll switch, but only to see if the format that made the show so popular has survived.. if yes, then I'll stick with it but only until 9. I won't be tuning in for the rest of 2FM's dire programming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

If I'm not able to get Chris Moyles tuned in, then I'll be listening to these two; always enjoyed their presence and humour on mornings I'd be down in the big smoke.
    Heads and shoulders above the rest of the crap on local or national radio waves at that hour of the day.

As for staying for Gerry? RTÉ would have to refund my license fee as a bribe for me to even consider it. T*sser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Wertz wrote:
    If I'm not able to get Chris Moyles tuned in, then I'll be listening to these two; always enjoyed their presence and humour on mornings I'd be down in the big smoke.
    Heads and shoulders above the rest of the crap on local or national radio waves at that hour of the day.

As for staying for Gerry? RTÉ would have to refund my license fee as a bribe for me to even consider it. T*sser.

Maybe Colm and Jim are the closest thing we have to Moyles' show on R1. He's top drawer. The funny thing is this poll does not show how many people under 35 have voted. I'm sure the majority of "no" voters here are gone beyond that style of radio show and prefer a Wogan style breakfast programme. I think there's plenty of room at RTE for a third station. Its the wages that are kiling them from changing things.

RTE 1 should be a BBC R4
    RTE 2 should be a BBC R1
    RTE 3 should be a BBC R2

but that's in an ideal world.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

I listened to these guys a few weeks ago (before the switch) & found them to be extremely annoying. This was between 6.30 & 7am. From listening to them for a few days the jist of their show is:

Colm: can't believe today is thursday
    Jim JIm: Thursday?? I thought it was Wednesdat
    Colm: no im nearly sure today is thursday
    Jim JIm: Listeners txt us in on 53104 is it wed or thurs

I just found they had stupid conversations in which they contradict each other & it always ends up "listeners please txt us over who's right"
    I presume theres a charge for this txts?? scam for the radio station to get more money me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Keith C wrote:
    I listened to these guys a few weeks ago (before the switch) & found them to be extremely annoying. This was between 6.30 & 7am. From listening to them for a few days the jist of their show is:

Colm: can't believe today is thursday
    Jim JIm: Thursday?? I thought it was Wednesdat
    Colm: no im nearly sure today is thursday
    Jim JIm: Listeners txt us in on 53104 is it wed or thurs

I just found they had stupid conversations in which they contradict each other & it always ends up "listeners please txt us over who's right"
    I presume theres a charge for this txts?? scam for the radio station to get more money me thinks
    Ah see where you went wrong is you were listenin too early. Most of their audience aren't up yet so they didn't really start the show "properly" till after 7.. in fact you probably heard this nice mellow music in the background while the two lads chatted :p Similarly after 9 they dialled it back a bit and there was more music as most people are in work/school/college at that stage.

Between 7 and 9 though you got the sketches and the craic that made them (imo) the only thing worth listening to in the morning.

Advertisement