Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

gettin full license in USA

Options
  • 16-01-2007 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hi guys hopw are we
    im going to boston for 6 months on work placement
    i currently have my first provisional, but i wish to get my full license as soon as i can
    is it possible for me to do the full driving license in the US, and to use this as my full license back in ireland or wherever i may be?
    the reason i ask, is because i've heard the test is a lot easier
    i am v interested to learn more abou this
    thanks
    ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

hi guys hopw are we
    im going to boston for 6 months on work placement
    i currently have my first provisional, but i wish to get my full license as soon as i can
    is it possible for me to do the full driving license in the US, and to use this as my full license back in ireland or wherever i may be?

The answer is no. American licenses generally cannot be exchanged for Irish ones: you have to sit the test here to get an Irish license if all you have is an American one.

If, however, you are thinking of getting a Massachusetts license and driving on it here indefinitely, I'd think twice. Are you planning to own a car? How are you going to explain to the guard that pulls you over that you've got an American license? And is your insurance company going to accept it (short answer: they won't if you're resident in Ireland).

I had had a full Massachusetts license for 27 years when I moved here. Had to go through all the hell of the test, etc. And I'm still insured as though I've only been driving a few years since none of my US experience is recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

A bit off toppic, but i had a similar experience to the last poster... was driving in ireland for 3 years, had 3 years NCD, then was living in canada for 3 years, done my driving test there within a month of moving, and drove for another 3 years there, no claims....

When i came back to ireland i was told that none of my NCD's counted and i would have to start from scratch again. They had some made up rule that if your irish insurace lapses for more than 2 years you loose your irish NCB.. My Insurance was more in 2003 than it was in 1997, yet i had 6 years no claims, a full irish licence and a full canadian licence... I even had one company that i used to be insured with not quote me, cause i had no NCB!!!

It was just sick, but very irish... i have found it like many things in this country, not very well thought out, don't make any sense, designed so people get screwed... In contrast, when i was in canada i got a letter from my car insurance company, saying that they had miss quoted me, and my insurance would actually be less!!! and would it be ok if they lowered my payments for the rest of the year!!! Ummm would an irish insurance company ever tell you that you paid too much??

Rant over...

Advertisement