Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reinstalling XP Pro - Stuck in a restarting cycle

• 16-01-2007 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

My PC was acting up the other week so I decided to reinstall XP Pro SP1. When it was nearly there the PC restarted and the screen read:
    "setup is now restarting........"
    then the screen went black and the PC restarted shortly after.

Now it just keeps retarting at the same point, over and over.

I've unplugged all devices like printers etc and I've tried changing the boot BIOS to CDROM but this has made no difference.

I'm all out of ideas, any help? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Try changing the Boot order to CD first then Hard Drive...if not already done.

after the Bios Splash Screen you should get "Press any key to boot from CD....." ignore it.

Let it boot to the hard drive and See if setup Continues... If not try again with the CD removed from the CD drive.

If that doesn't work, boot from the CD, run setup repair... (It should recongnise XP as already installed)

If it Still won't boot into windows, Run Setup from the beginning (including Partition setup and formatting) and Start all over again...You're not going to lose anything and it will take 40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Bruce Fan

I have already tried changing the boot order to CD Rom 1st then HD. It won't boot up. I get the "Press any key to continue...." but when I do it just gives me some kind of "boot not found on the CD Rom" message.

How do I run setup up repair or run setup from the beginning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Gotta be able to boot off the CD for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Bruce Fan

Thats the thing. I found this guide:
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=138
    which would suit me fine it the bloody cd would just boot but it just won't recognise it for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

It sounds like your CD-ROM drive is detected, otherwise it wouldn't appear in the boot order menu.
    So, that leaves the CD.
    Is it a burned one or is it scratched.

• Advertisement
Advertisement