Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

It doesn't help when...

Options
  • 16-01-2007 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

...AA Roadwatch refer the the overtaking lane on the M1 Motorway as the "Fast Lane" on their traffic report at 8am on Radio 1 this morning. They should be trying to educate drivers on how to use motorways correctly but they don't seem to know the rules themselves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

the AA just provide and sponsor the info. the readers who choose what info to read out are usually just ditzy blondes (have you ever listened to yer one on 98FM????)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,786 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

In fairness, the RA (RAA? i dunno) call it the fast lane too, seen it on the RTE news a good few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tauren wrote:
    the RA (RAA? i dunno)
    NRA?

I've seen those electronic solar signs with "FAST LANE CLOSED 1KM AHEAD". :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Avayia

Well here we have a prime example of the "Quality" of the irish driving education! It is well said that the Rep is the only country in the world where you can fail your driving test and still get in the car and drive away.

Now before you all start coming at me! I am not going to paint you all with the same brush. Of course that lane is used for over-taking but at the end of the day it is there for the Driver who can and will drive at the speed limit ie 75miles/hour or 120 km/h (whatever floats your boat)

It really bugs me when i'm driving home on a friday night to the north and knowing that i have to drive through an obsticle course of Irish drivers thinking that when they over-take that they can do so at 55 miles/ hour! Cracks me up!

I'm sure that there are alot of people out there that will agree with me! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Avayia wrote:
    I'm sure that there are alot of people out there that will agree with me! :cool:
    I certainly will....some guy even had the cheek to blast me out of it with his full head-lights this morning as I observed correct lane procedure on the M50 and he hogged the overtaking lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Avayia wrote:
    It really bugs me when i'm driving home on a friday night to the north and knowing that i have to drive through an obsticle course of Irish drivers thinking that when they over-take that they can do so at 55 miles/ hour! Cracks me up!

Well if there's a car doing 45 on the inside lane and I want to do 55 then of course I will overtake them. That's what the overtaking lane is for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭DrChoda

What always surprises me is just how slow some of the drivers on the motorway are!
    I think there should be a minimum speed limit on the motorways, no less than 70km/h in a 100km/h. Anything 30 below the speed limit and you shouldn't even be on the motorway. Some might argue but I think its really dangerous, especially at night. We shouldn't be seeing so many brake lights on a motorway at any time other than rush hour. I also think that these drivers in the passing lane that shouldn't be there can also thank themselves for causing much more congestion than there needs to be.
    Do they provide any type of motorway testing during a full license exam?

Personally, what grinds my gears is merging onto the motor way. There is always some idiot trying to drive in your blind spot, won't give you room to merge and usually has the passing lane clear to pull out into so cars can merge safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DrChoda wrote:
    Anything 30 below the speed limit and you shouldn't even be on the motorway
    :rolleyes: That would be a little awkward for those of us who drive vehicles that have a restricted maximum speed limit regardless of the road limit. (Trucks and buses are not legally permitted to travel at more that 80kph). Motorways are not just for cars!

...AA Roadwatch refer the the overtaking lane on the M1 Motorway as the "Fast Lane" on their traffic report at 8am on Radio 1 this morning. They should be trying to educate drivers on how to use motorways correctly but they don't seem to know the rules themselves.

... I'm at a loss for words.

Is this really the type of thing that annoys you on a daily basis?

Seriously..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭DrChoda

:rolleyes: That would be a little awkward for those of us who drive vehicles that have a restricted maximum speed limit regardless of the road limit. (Trucks and buses are not legally permitted to travel at more that 80kph). Motorways are not just for cars!

With the exception of buses, trucks that will have a maximum speed. Just to clarify, I'm talking about road vehicles that have no problems doing the speed limit, just problems with the drivers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement