Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bannings - Suggestion/Query

Options
  • 16-01-2007 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of people here seem to open threads with the question "Have I been banned from [insert forum name]?"

Is it possible that when a user is banned from a forum, he/she is either sent an automatic and generically worded PM to notify them? This would mean that mods don't have to waste time PM'ing users and solve the problem where some mods notify users and others don't.

Another alternative would be that the first time a banned user attempts to post in a forum they have been banned from, they are redirected to a screen specifically telling them they are banned (rather than a screen similar to a private forum saying they do not have "access".

Just a thought.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

How about you stop doing things that get you banned? Should solve a lot of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

krazy_8s wrote:
    How about you stop doing things that get you banned? Should solve a lot of problems.

1. I've never been banned from any forum (yet)
    2. How about you add something other than a 'postcount +1' style comment to the thread? :p

Let me clarify: I opened the thread because a lot of users seem to be too dumb to realise they've been banned and then give out in feedback because they didn't receive a PM notifying them of the ban. This would solve the problem fairly rapidly!

Edit: In other words, I'm providing real feedback and suggestions rather than moaning/whining/bitchin' about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The problem is most users do not know they are banned. The screen doesn't say as much. They also don't know you can log out to view the forum. This means they don't know why they were banned or who the mods are so they can PM them.

Perhaps the 'no access' screen should suggest they log out to see if they can find out why they've no longer have access?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It would be very little work for each mod to have a ready made template for notification of bans via PM. All you'd need is text like, "[username], you have been banned from the [insert forum here] forum for the following post [link to post]. Please read the charter before posting again. Your ban will expire on the [date]. Regards, [mod's name]." It would require very little work and the majority of the typing is already done.

Alternatively, there's auto-text like Thaed's warning message on PI, which requires even less effort.

I suppose some mods think that's still too much effort, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

r3nu4l wrote:
    1. I've never been banned from any forum (yet)

Congrats, thats one gold star for you.

r3nu4l wrote:
    2. How about you add something other than a 'postcount +1' style comment to the thread? :p

I did. I believe in being pro-active rather then re-active. Stop the banning's from happening rather then trying to fix the problems that arise after.

r3nu4l wrote:
    Let me clarify: I opened the thread because a lot of users seem to be too dumb to realise they've been banned and then give out in feedback because they didn't receive a PM notifying them of the ban. This would solve the problem fairly rapidly!

I'm of the belief that if we remove the safety labels off of things, the problem sorts itself out. Might not solve the problem immediately but give it a year or two.
    r3nu4l wrote:
    Edit: In other words, I'm providing real feedback and suggestions rather than moaning/whining/bitchin' about something.

And this doesn't seem odd to you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Faith wrote:
    I suppose some mods think that's still too much effort, though.
    I think that's way too much effort in some cases and far from enough in others.

Someone who comes in posts "bummers" in every thread on the first page I definitely wouldn't bother to PM.

Someone who's been a regularly good poster and is getting abusive because they are taking some comments personally and getting quite upset I would warn on thread but might also PM asking them to try to relax a bit more and/or rely upon the reporting mechanisms if they think a post is abusive or otherwise problematic rather than escalating the flamage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

When some starts a thread like Have I been banned from 'x'? what they actually mean is How could I possibly have been banned from 'x'! This is ridiculas! Mods are SCUM! I demand to be unbanned! The customer is always write! Freedom of speech!

If someone cant get into a forum, i'm pretty sure they would presume they are banned. All the have to do is this:

Step 1: Log Out
    Step 2: Get the name of a mod from the forum in question
    Step 3: Log back in
    Step 4: PM mod

Its easy.

I'm not arguing that it's not easy to logout, check forum, login and PM a mod but most users don't do this (:rolleyes:) so
    I think the auto-PM idea is a good one because

a) the mod doesn't have to bother sending one
    b) the user can't come back whining they weren't PM'ed.
    c) the user doesn't have the excuse of 'not knowing' they were banned before posting in feedback.
    d) the user can then PM the mod in question without having to resort to feedback.

It seems to me that many banned users whine about a lack of PM, an automatic feature across boards.ie would at least put a stop to that, without any extra effort on the mods behalf.

@Krazy_8s...erm...yeah...sure...
    /backs away slowly and points at krazy person :D

EDIT:
    Talliesin wrote:
    Someone who comes in posts "bummers" in every thread on the first page I definitely wouldn't bother to PM
    Can anyone say 'polmki'? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

This has been brought up a great deal of times in the past. It would be a great feature but I would imagine that one would need to write a hack for VB to do this, I don't think it exists at the moment. I could be wrong though.

If anyone wants to have a crack at making the hack I'm sure the Admins will take it into consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm guessing that 80% of mods PM they ban 80% of the time.

The 20% they don't PM are usually the pillow-biting fuckwits that stroll into a forum post alot of insulting, abusive crap because they think causing trouble is fun.

These people don't deserve the 2 clicks it takes to ban them, never mind the time it takes to PM.

These people are also, statistically, the most likely to post big whiney threads on feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Gordon wrote:
    This has been brought up a great deal of times in the past. It would be a great feature but I would imagine that one would need to write a hack for VB to do this, I don't think it exists at the moment. I could be wrong though.

If anyone wants to have a crack at making the hack I'm sure the Admins will take it into consideration.
    There could be something made like Talliesin's automatic post thing.
    It posts an automatic reply to a thread that can be quite handy for mods.
    I doubt it would take much for it to be changed to a pm and then bookmarked?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

"Welcome to bansville, population you."

...go on, you know you want to. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

krazy_8s wrote:
    I did. I believe in being pro-active rather then re-active. Stop the banning's from happening rather then trying to fix the problems that arise after.
    I think that's called being un-realistic.

I'm not a troll. But I've gotten angry before, or not realised the implication in what I said, or whatever it might have been, and have been banned.

It would be a great feature. The problem, as Gordon pointed out, is that it would require someone to write this code.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Ban everyone from Roscommon........

"Welcome to bansville, population you."

...go on, you know you want to. :D

:D

/Completely and utterly off-topic
    Australia? Permanent-like? Will you miss LDN?

Advertisement