Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl/upc still as bad as ever

Options
  • 16-01-2007 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

Here is a question for all you ntl users out there. Are you finding the service as bad as ever?

I myself am still having the same problems as a few months ago if not more... My pings to the majority of sites are alot higher than what they use to be. Alot of pages now load up blank first and I have to press refresh or they don't load up for an extremely long time.

I am on the 3 meg package but my top download speed is around 200kb/sec. Back a few months ago is always use to be in the high 300's. I haven't bothered to call up the technical support yet after hearing how nobody gets anywhere and it seems to be a general problem. My patience has now completely worn off. Are people having any better experiences or is it finally time to call and tell them what I think.

Where should I be looking to move to if it comes to a move? Are Magnet any good?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 freefall20

UPC put the peering through amsterdam, before ntl was sold BB used to peer through INEX in uk. The plans by UPC were to redirect peering from amsterdam to INEX again and this was supposed to happen last Oct. Your best bet is to keep on ringing them about it and hasseling them to get the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My NTL connection is spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Carroll

Can't complain about my connection either, except a recent issue connecting to certain websites (just last night). I'll have to wait until I get home to see if it's the same today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MiloFoxburr

My Net in generally is a bit slower than usual not enough to bother me though. So long as my Usenet connection continues to max out at 730-750kb/sec I'll be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Same here. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

They swapped from the UK just after they disassociated from the UK brand, not as a result of the takeover from UPC. Since that they have had to merge networks and also set up a new network monitoring system.
    Theoretically the cable broadband complete with a large number of fibre-optic lines should be capable of much faster than your standard broadband, I'd say if you stick it out and keep on moaning it will get much faster. If I could get cable broadband I probably would, but not for a few months yet as teething problems result in high SNR, noise on the line, lost packets, too many bandwidth hogs, high contention etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

too many bandwidth hogs, high contention etc.

Amen brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Same here. Had some trouble before X-mas but that was 2 days of slowness but nothing since.

Advertisement