Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ditching raid on xp to ease pain installing linux

• 16-01-2007 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭

Howdy,

I have a raid set up on a machine I got recently. It has 2x250 SATA drives. While trying to install ubuntu recently I made a meal of my partitions.

After googling it looks to be possible but difficult to set up XP and ubuntu on a raid configuration. I'm a bit of a newb here so want to ease the pain of getting a successful dual boot. I'm not to bothered about raid anyhow. So if I reinstall xp with out setting up any raid options will everything be cushty. I imagine I just need to change the bios setting from "raid on" to "on" for both drives. Also when reinstalling XP do I just delete all old partitions and start again. I've heard stories of people destroying there drives so am a bit anxious about the procedure. As it stands I can't boot into XP or ubuntu.:( Help me pls.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Well, it sounds like your resigned to a reinstall anyway.
    So boot off the XP cd, reformat the drives.
    When doing this you could leave a chunk of unformatted space on one of them so Ubuntu sees it and uses it.
    That's my guess.
    I installed Ubuntu in a dual boot configuration but i had to use Partition Magic to resize my primary partition.
    But since you're starting from scratch you may as well do it during formatting the drives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

I guess I had decided to format any how and just did. All is well in XP but ubuntu is causing hassle, hangs on pnp: no ps/2 controller during install?? My mouse and keyboard are USB. Well thats another days work unless someone knows anything about this. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Why not just run windows in vmware in ubuntu?

or vice versa

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ubuntu should pick up USB, but check if the BIOS has a legacy setting too.

I've not got colinux in windows to work :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

I've enabled and disabled ps/2 in bios but still no joy, different error mind you, but pnp is still at the heart of the problem it seems

• Advertisement
Advertisement