Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Singals/Gays Adopting

Options
  • 16-01-2007 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I heard that 2 year ago they changed the law so that singals could adopting. Which ment that gay couples could adopt.

Whilist, I too young at the moement I would some day like to have children. I beleave it takes time too apply and get accepted. Has any one got experance of adopting children?

How easy is it to adopt children from abroad?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

They did change the law to allow some people who previously were not able to adopt in Ireland to lawfully adopt in Ireland, a few years ago. The original intention of this was to allow a single person to lawfully adopt children of a relative (there were two specific cases cited at the time).

Vis adopting from abroad- the rules are identical to those adopting nationally, with the exception that in many cases there may be additional rules imposed by the country from which the adoption is proposed. Ireland is subject to the Hague Convention (at long last) and abides by its constraints concerning intercountry adoptions.

While the letter of the law may not rule out adoption by a single person (irrespective of their sexual persuasion), it is improbable that a single person would be given preference in placement of a child, over and above a married couple.

Some countries which have traditionally been very popular for intercountry adoptions from abroad have recently imposed a lot of restrictions. For example if someone wished to propose adopting a child from China (normally a baby girl) from the 1st of May 2007 new rules apply barring single, obese, older than 50 or those who fail to meet certain benchmarks in financial, physical or psychological health from adopting Chinese children. An adopting family is to be composed of a man and woman between 30 and 50 years of age who have been married at least two years (or five years if it is a second marriage). They cannot be obese or have a net worth less than $80,000. And anyone on an antidepressant or other psychiatric medication is out.

It is thought that these rules would mean that between 40 and 45% of applicants in the US and Canada who successfully adopted children in 2005 would no longer meet the eligibility rules.

Other countries look likely to follow suit.....

Re: Adopting from Ireland- the last statistics published by the (then) Adoption Board, showed that 23 Irish children were adopted in 2002, of whom 19 were adopted by members of their immediate family.

While the law may imply that single people in Ireland can now adopt children, practice on the ground will, in the vast majority of cases, determine otherwise.

Shane
    keynesian wrote:
    I heard that 2 year ago they changed the law so that singals could adopting. Which ment that gay couples could adopt.

Whilist, I too young at the moement I would some day like to have children. I beleave it takes time too apply and get accepted. Has any one got experance of adopting children?

How easy is it to adopt children from abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

smccarrick wrote:
    They did change the law to allow some people who previously were not able to adopt in Ireland to lawfully adopt in Ireland, a few years ago. The original intention of this was to allow a single person to lawfully adopt children of a relative (there were two specific cases cited at the time).

Vis adopting from abroad- the rules are identical to those adopting nationally, with the exception that in many cases there may be additional rules imposed by the country from which the adoption is proposed. Ireland is subject to the Hague Convention (at long last) and abides by its constraints concerning intercountry adoptions.

While the letter of the law may not rule out adoption by a single person (irrespective of their sexual persuasion), it is improbable that a single person would be given preference in placement of a child, over and above a married couple.

Some countries which have traditionally been very popular for intercountry adoptions from abroad have recently imposed a lot of restrictions. For example if someone wished to propose adopting a child from China (normally a baby girl) from the 1st of May 2007 new rules apply barring single, obese, older than 50 or those who fail to meet certain benchmarks in financial, physical or psychological health from adopting Chinese children. An adopting family is to be composed of a man and woman between 30 and 50 years of age who have been married at least two years (or five years if it is a second marriage). They cannot be obese or have a net worth less than $80,000. And anyone on an antidepressant or other psychiatric medication is out.

It is thought that these rules would mean that between 40 and 45% of applicants in the US and Canada who successfully adopted children in 2005 would no longer meet the eligibility rules.

Other countries look likely to follow suit.....

Re: Adopting from Ireland- the last statistics published by the (then) Adoption Board, showed that 23 Irish children were adopted in 2002, of whom 19 were adopted by members of their immediate family.

While the law may imply that single people in Ireland can now adopt children, practice on the ground will, in the vast majority of cases, determine otherwise.

Shane

That's a very well researched reply smccarrick!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭keynesian

So atifical insemination it is then.

Advertisement