Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speeds - getting slower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I was onto BT tech support yesterday for near an hour, started off with the guy wanting me to check my router connection speed in its settings, so I said whats the point as it always says 3MB, what reply do I get, it seems fine then and you've no problem :rolleyes:
    So I go to him that I've been running various speed tests and tried downloading the BT test file and was only getting download speeds of between 50 - 70KB/s. Ended up having to do that all again, then onto connecting up another router, to my surprise I get the same result :rolleyes: .
    Then he comes up with an answer to the problem, "we'll downgrade you to 1MB as your line doesn't seem to support 3MB very well and that will solve the problem". I'm like how does this solve it, I have and pay for a 3MB service and expect to get what you advertise and I pay for, besides even if I opt to downgrade I'm still not even going to get 1MB as my speeds are below that. Then he goes to me "well what do you want me to do", I replied "fix the problem, what else" :mad: . Conversation ends up with the usual, we'll ask for a test to be carried out on the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if your modem syncs at 3mb with adequate SNR Margin ( above 10db ) and attenuation ( <50db ) then 'your line doesnt support it well = bull****. since whether its supported is obvious from the SNR/Attenuation figures combined with any CRC error detections

If the line here doesn't support 3MB "very well" then why has it been working fine up until a few weeks ago. I'm beginning to think no one has a clue at BT support, he didn't even know that you could get into a settings screen on my router, hence the reason why I had to connect up another one. Maybe I should apply for a job there, then again maybe not, I'd just tell people to go to another provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

My BT line seems to have been working ok.

My parents UTV line has been terrible since the New Year though and dropped offline for a day last week.
    Maybe its Eircom doing the messing with the exchanges/lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I've been experiencing slowness recently on BT as well the past few days. Just reset my connection and it seems OK again, however irishisptest.com is only reporting about 1Mb/s download speeds (I'm connected at 2Mb/s).

• Advertisement

anyones speed get back to normal ? mine has got worse, been getting an average download speed of 7 - 30KB/s over the past few days now, I'd be better off using dialup :mad:

check speed here : http://www.btyahoo.com/speedtest

My BT speed has gone to crap too.
    I thought that your link to test the speed may not have been a great indication so I tried downloading XP SP2 (used this in the past and always got full speed) but I'm only getting 30-40KB/s there too.
    I tried calling BT support today but managed to cut myself off after holding for 50 minutes :mad:
    I'll try again tomorrow and see what they say.

Got a call back from BT TS just before 9pm and was told that there is a fault with the exchange here and that the status of the repair with Eircom is still pending and should be fixed in the next day or so.

Esat TS gave me a call the other day to say that Eircom had fixed the problem and asked me to download their test file, speeds were still just as slow, so he went to log the fault again with Eircom. Now today I got a call from an Eircom engineer saying that there was no fault and that he would come round with his own modem and if it came up saying it was connected at 3MB then there was no problem with the line, oh yeah, and he'd charged me €57 to do this. I went onto say that no way I'd pay him and that it was a complete waste of time doing this as it will say and always says it's connected at 3MB anyway and that is not the way to check download speeds. What reply did I get, that I knew nothing ! :mad: So looks like I'll be cancelling my BB then and staying well away from any provider that uses "Eircons" line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

@hellboy99: There's no way in hell I'd let them away with that. While you're a customer of theirs you should let them know you are still paying them.

I presume your modem shows you connected at 3072/384? What is the attenuation and signal to noise ratio like? That data will rule out a lot of possible issues.

If, as I suspect, the line stats are reasonable, then I'd point the finger at contention. Assuming your location is right, I'd say it's contention as Drogheda is having pretty bad problems with speeds/contention and Dundalk is suffering from "evening contention" from what I've heard. The smaller towns are not having contention issues though.

Find out from anyone living in the same town or area with phoneline broadband and see what company they are with. That might show if it's an eircom or BT issue.

There are a lot of complaint mechanisms. Don't let a snotty engineer dictate to you when he doesn't even know his own job properly. Hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement

Thanks To_be_confirmed, I'm in Dundalk and I know a few mates of mine that are both with Esat and Eircom that are having the same problems and all started round the same time, a few weeks before Christmas. I guess I'm just gonna have to get back on to Esat, more than likely before the end of the week if I'm still having problems I'll just cancel service and go elsewhere.
    It's a joke :mad:

Got another call from Esat TS earlier, "we'll send you another router (that will be the third one I'll have from them now :rolleyes:, four including my own, so I don't think it's a router problem ), if that doesn't work then we'll take it to the next level". What part of it's not my router do they not understand :mad:

Hey Hellboy.
    Just so you know, Enfield is just as bad.
    It didn't start till after Christmas but its getting worse and worse.

82281675.png

Thats my 3Mb BT line this evening, and thats actually quite high compared to some tests lately.

Another call back from Esat TS today (fair dues to them for keeping tabs on it and me informed), Eircon again have said they've fixed the line (this is the third time now in 2 weeks :rolleyes: ). I'm asked to download the BT test file and what speed do I get, 9.89KB/s :mad: ,at this stage I'd be better off getting a carrier pigeon. Not only am I fed up at this stage but by the sounds of the TS guy he is too.

And Eircom want to put line rental up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

BT - 9pm last night ASDL dropped out for the night (Portmarnock) .Anyone else have the same problem. Anyone know if eircom are working on lines in this area ? Really annoying!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dropping DSL out for the night , or for an hour or two usually at night after 9pm , is an eircom specialty :(

they are constantly twiddling with firmwares on their DSL kit in the exchanges and rumour has it that they rejumper to create 'special' bundles of cable of mixed distances.

all very hush hush but long term its better for us that they learn and adapt rather than their usual customer service total crap of prentending your line works perfectly while you are looking at the cable lying in the middle of the road .

Got another callback from Esat TS and I'm being downgraded to 2MB to see if that works any better, "Thanks Eircon !!" :mad:
    It's about time something was done with the monopoly that is Eircom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

thats OK, it means that you will pay less and maybe get a more stable connection, stable 2mb better than unstable 3mb anyday.

thumbs up to BT TS for being on the ball.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    thats OK, it means that you will pay less and maybe get a more stable connection, stable 2mb better than unstable 3mb anyday.

thumbs up to BT TS for being on the ball.
    Hopefully that does the trick, have to give the BT TS guys credit for keeping me informed and trying to get the problem fixed :)

Hopefully it will work out fine. If your attenuation was below 50 dB then I would be querying BT's idea but if above then it was probably the best thing to do.

SB, what is this rejumpering thing about? Do they join pairs together in the exchange/cabinet?

• Advertisement

If your attenuation was below 50 dB then I would be querying BT's idea
    It was up on 50.5dB

Yikes, that's a close call. Though I understood that if a line could not manage 3072 kbps, then eircom DSL, being rate adaptive, would simply retrain to a lower speed which would have no problems. 9 KBps would be near to the minimum DSL sync speed. Have you noticed the improvement?

Have you noticed the improvement?
    Haven't been downgraded yet still 3MB but here's what I'm getting tonight :

84546953.png

BT test file downloading at 315KB/s too.

Now I'm baffled :confused: , it's going faster than it ever did before, would this be because there may not be many people on the line tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I'm with BT in Cork city (Douglas) & the speeds have gone to pot, I'm on a 1Mb line, Tech Support told me it would pass for a 4Mb connection.
    It seems to have started around Christms time. It's fine right now but painfully slow ther times, especially for streaming videos etc.
    PC is virus & spyware free, in fact I've tried three different laptops & a PC.
    Wish they would do something to solve it.
    Was onto BT CS about similar issue a while back but it fixed itself, haven't the patience to ring them again!!

Sounds like the attenuation is not the only issue. If you can get 315 KB at one time of the day and 9 KB at another time then it's 99.9% likely that the line is perfect. If contention is the problem, then the peak times in the evening (4.30 to 10 pm perhaps) will be the slowest. 3AM is the quietest time to use the internet in Ireland.

To be honest, I still don't buy that Esat TS answer of an unsuitable line. But the best way to tell is use the internet in the evening or early night and see if you notice a difference before or after they downgrade your speed.

rebel.ranter, file a complaint with BT as you have asked for the problem to be fixed but you are still waiting. If that doesn't work, email ComReg and explain how your official complaint with BT has not been appropriately resolved. Oh and get in touch with www.irelandoffline.org. They may be able to help you out.

I don't know what to make of it, looks like it could be to do with other people using the line at the same time, here's what I'm getting at the minute :

84785454.png

Back to dialup I think :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Hi everyone

Hellboy99, to diagnose your problem I will need several things. First your modem manufacturer, then I need you to check your Downstream Noise Margin during different times.

You attenuation is a bit high, your distance to the exchange seems over 2.2 km though its hard to tell, this doesnt mean your connection should be slow though. Anyway, please post your Noise margins here and I will be able to help you further. Also if you can post your HEC errors, Super Frames, DMT Frames and if possible paste your BIN/SNR table that will be perfect.

If you dont know how to get them let me know, just tell me your router's manufacturer.

About the line test its a bit difficult to explain, BT has his hands tight. I will explain.

When BT books a broadband fault it can book it obviously for several reasons, no service (No or flashing DSL light), in sync but not connecting (solid DSL Light but cant connect to ATM network), failed install or intermittent connection.

BT sends this fault to EIRCOM where they will run a line check, then they will accept or reject the fault depending on the outcome of the test. For example, if you are complaining of no sync and they detect that the service is in sync then they will automatically reject that fault. Another example will be that they might see that your PSTN line is faulty, so instead of them booking a PSTN line fault they will reject the fault waiting for your ISP, in this case BT, to book it for you (if you are with them, otherwise they will call you back so you'll do it).

Once that's done they will send an engineer to check this at the Exchange, if the engineer sees that the circuit in fine there then he will not proceed any further as, legaly stated on EIRCOMs SLA, they dont have to. They are basically saying that Broadband is working fine. Now this doesnt mean that there isnt a problem but that Broadband itself is there, if there is a problem it must be between the MDF and the customers ATU-R (router).

Now you will all be saying, but isnt EIRCOm suppose to fix it up to the NTU/NTP localted at customers premises?

Well yes and no. Unfortunately there are no Broadband regulations, comreg cannot do anything about this, and unfortunately neither can ISPs.

The only possible solution is that you get a PSTN line booked (only if your line tests red) and get an engineer out, he, if you are lucky, will maximum change your NTU or main point socket. He will make sure that the telephone is working and, thats about it.

Now, to be honest its very very difficult that a problem might ocurr between the DSLAM and the CPE, with this I mean the Exchange and your house, well, more than your house your Eircom Box or NTU, depending on your line setup.

Most of the time the problem is internal wiring, interferences or contention issues, if your have a strong signal of course.

There is a lot more than you can possibly imagine, anyway i'm writing too much...

just paste here your logs please I need a bit more information.

Thanks!!!

Here you go Praetor & thanks :)

Modem : ZyXel Prestige 630-11 USB
    ADSL PERFORMANCE PARAMETER LOG

NT side operational data
    actualBitrateFarInt= 384 kbit/s
    actualBitrateFarFast= 0 kbit/s
    actualBitrateNearInt= 3072 kbit/s
    actualBitrateNearFast= 0 kbit/s
    relCapacityOccupationUpstr= 47 %
    relCapacityOccupationDnstr= 51 %
    noiseMarginUpstr= 13.0 dB
    noiseMarginDnstr= 10.0 dB
    outputPowerDnstr= 12.0 dBm
    outputPowerUpstr= 0.5 dBm
    attenuationUpstr= 31.0 dB
    attenuationDnstr= 50.0 dB
    NT: no attainable bitrate
    Carrier Load Upstream
    Tone 0: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 1: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 2: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 3: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 4: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 5: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 6: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 7: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 8: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 9: 3 bits/symbol
    Tone 10: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 11: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 12: 6 bits/symbol
    Tone 13: 6 bits/symbol
    Tone 14: 6 bits/symbol
    Tone 15: 6 bits/symbol
    Tone 16: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 17: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 18: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 19: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 20: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 21: 6 bits/symbol
    Tone 22: 6 bits/symbol
    Tone 23: 6 bits/symbol
    Tone 24: 6 bits/symbol
    Tone 25: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 26: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 27: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 28: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 29: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 30: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 31: 0 bits/symbol
    Carrier Load Downstream
    Tone 32: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 33: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 34: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 35: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 36: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 37: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 38: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 39: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 40: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 41: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 42: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 43: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 44: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 45: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 46: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 47: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 48: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 49: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 50: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 51: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 52: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 53: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 54: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 55: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 56: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 57: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 58: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 59: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 60: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 61: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 62: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 63: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 64: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 65: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 66: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 67: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 68: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 69: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 70: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 71: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 72: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 73: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 74: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 75: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 76: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 77: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 78: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 79: 9 bits/symbol
    Tone 80: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 81: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 82: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 83: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 84: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 85: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 86: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 87: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 88: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 89: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 90: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 91: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 92: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 93: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 94: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 95: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 96: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 97: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 98: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 99: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 100: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 101: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 102: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 103: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 104: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 105: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 106: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 107: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 108: 8 bits/symbol
    Tone 109: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 110: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 111: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 112: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 113: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 114: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 115: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 116: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 117: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 118: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 119: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 120: 6 bits/symbol
    Tone 121: 7 bits/symbol
    Tone 122: 6 bits/symbol
    Tone 123: 6 bits/symbol
    Tone 124: 6 bits/symbol
    Tone 125: 6 bits/symbol
    Tone 126: 6 bits/symbol
    Tone 127: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 128: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 129: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 130: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 131: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 132: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 133: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 134: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 135: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 136: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 137: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 138: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 139: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 140: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 141: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 142: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 143: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 144: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 145: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 146: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 147: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 148: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 149: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 150: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 151: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 152: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 153: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 154: 5 bits/symbol
    Tone 155: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 156: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 157: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 158: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 159: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 160: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 161: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 162: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 163: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 164: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 165: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 166: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 167: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 168: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 169: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 170: 4 bits/symbol
    Tone 171: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 172: 3 bits/symbol
    Tone 173: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 174: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 175: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 176: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 177: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 178: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 179: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 180: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 181: 3 bits/symbol
    Tone 182: 3 bits/symbol
    Tone 183: 3 bits/symbol
    Tone 184: 3 bits/symbol
    Tone 185: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 186: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 187: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 188: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 189: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 190: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 191: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 192: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 193: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 194: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 195: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 196: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 197: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 198: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 199: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 200: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 201: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 202: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 203: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 204: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 205: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 206: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 207: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 208: 2 bits/symbol
    Tone 209: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 210: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 211: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 212: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 213: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 214: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 215: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 216: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 217: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 218: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 219: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 220: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 221: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 222: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 223: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 224: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 225: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 226: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 227: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 228: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 229: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 230: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 231: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 232: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 233: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 234: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 235: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 236: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 237: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 238: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 239: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 240: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 241: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 242: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 243: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 244: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 245: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 246: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 247: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 248: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 249: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 250: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 251: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 252: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 253: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 254: 0 bits/symbol
    Tone 255: 0 bits/symbol

Performance Counters
    Near End FecNotInterleaved= 0
    Near End FecInterleaved= 0
    Near End CrcNotInterleaved= 0
    Near End CrcInterleaved= 141
    Near End HecNotInterleaved= 0
    Near End HecInterleaved= 75
    Far End FecNotInterleaved= 0
    Far End FecInterleaved= 0
    Far End CrcNotInterleaved= 0
    Far End CrcInterleaved= 1
    Far End HecNotInterleaved= 0
    Far End HecInterleaved= 0

Defects Bitmaps
    Near End Status= 0x00
    Near End Change= 0x00
    Far End Status= 0x00
    Far End Change= 0x00

All day Thursday the Downstream attenuation was between 50 - 60dB and the Downstream Noise margin between 7.5 - 10dB.
    Last night my Downstream attenuation was at 50.5dB and the Downstream Noise margin was 14.5dB.

I've tried other various routers; wireless, ether and usb and still the same results and I've tried them all on a laptop so it's not my PC. As for internal phone wiring it's all new and the main socket is only 6ft away from my PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

noiseMarginUpstr= 13.0 dB
    outputPowerDnstr= 12.0 dBm
    outputPowerUpstr= 0.5 dBm
    attenuationUpstr= 31.0 dB

The figures you must pay attention to are the following

You have some problems with the line as it can be seeing on the BIN/SNR table.

From tone 159 you start loosing bits rapidly.

Very low or nonexistent bits per tone in the high frequency band indicate the presence of a long loop, probably a bridge tap or wet section on the span.

You see high frequencies are more likely to be affected by attenuation.

Anything over 63 its normally consider "long line" and then is when you hear the famous words... you are too far from the exchange....

This is not necessarely always true but it is on 99% of the cases.

Then your noise margin is 10 which is low. A line with a Noise Margin of 10 its very likely to experience problems.

You will probably get disconnected if your noise margin drops below 6 dB.

Under normal circunstances a "normal" reading should be

DS Noise Margin: 16-24 dB
    Attenuation: <25 dB

Mine for example is, right now, 31 for Noise Margin and 10 for Atten.

In theory my line should allow speeds up to 8 mbps (ADSL).

Unfortunately there is not much you can do regarding the attenuation but you could try improving your noise margin by connecting from the main socket or even installing a faceplate, but thats just my opinion and it might not make much difference.

Some other routers are known to work better with low noise margin such as Netgear or DLink but again it could perfectly be a waste of money.

Your problem is with the span, you will need to wait until EIRCOM fixes it.

Obviously this is just a basic analysis as you need a ADSL Tester to get accurate readings.

Hope it helps

• Advertisement

Thanks Praetor, is it right to say then even when I am downgraded this won't solve anything.
    (According to Eircom there is nothing wrong with the line and it's cleared for 3MB)

Advertisement