Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speeds - getting slower

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Praetor wrote:
    Well you are close to disconnection rates. You SNR Margin is 8.5 when your Netopia reaches 6 it will "adapt" you speed to avoid disconnection but I think you are paying for a service you are not getting.

Base on those readings I can tell u that your line will hold speeds between 0.8 - 1.4 mbps no much more.

Wow I didn't think it was that bad. My speed is mostly constant and it was never too bad except over Christmas even my latest speed test this evening done on www.irishisptest.com is:

Date Download Speed Upload Speed Qos RTT Maxpause
    14/02/2007 21:02 1754 kbps (215 KB/s) 103 kbps (13 KB/s) 99 % 40 ms 118 ms

The thing is I need as much of the bandwidth as possible as I regularly work from home and VPN into the network in work, where I then often remote desktop onto PC's and servers to sort out problems.

I think I will move my modem directly to the eircom socket on the wall and see if that gives a better result.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Furp wrote:
    Wow I didn't think it was that bad. My speed is mostly constant and it was never too bad except over Christmas even my latest speed test this evening done on www.irishisptest.com is:

Date Download Speed Upload Speed Qos RTT Maxpause
    14/02/2007 21:02 1754 kbps (215 KB/s) 103 kbps (13 KB/s) 99 % 40 ms 118 ms

The thing is I need as much of the bandwidth as possible as I regularly work from home and VPN into the network in work, where I then often remote desktop onto PC's and servers to sort out problems.

I think I will move my modem directly to the eircom socket on the wall and see if that gives a better result.

Then try that :) You are lucky you have a netopia the Zyxel will probably disconnect every time your margin decreases below 6 dB.

You dont worry is not "that" bad, I have might sounded a bit too negative sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Esat TS and Eircom TS tonight (friend of mine having probs with his Eircom 3MB) have told us that DTT test here in Dundalk can affect BB and that was probably a factor in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

How could it affect BB?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

my mistakes another post mentioned 700mhz which is the DTT frequency but it should have been 700khz

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Furp wrote:
    Sponge Bob just got my latest bill from BT and I was genuinely shocked that they had in fact credited me for over 6 months of overcharging for the 3Mbit service.

fair dos both furp and BT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Praetor wrote:
    Then try that :) You are lucky you have a netopia the Zyxel will probably disconnect every time your margin decreases below 6 dB.

This probably explains why when I did have the Zyxel that it did regularly disconnect. Sometimes every few days, some days multiple times.

How could it affect BB?
    Interference is what I was told, so I sent off an email to my local TD & Comreg about it. Got a reply back today and it's now been referred to Eircom and to the Department of Communications for investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Anyone know if BT DNs servers are down ? Seems to be a regular occurence - having to resort to Dial up! BB was ok until 8pm or so. Couldn't get internet explore connected even with opendns settings and router status showing connected PPOE, LLC ,8,35 etc .Any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Yep BT DNS down again. Im using Eircom DNS server 192.111.39.1 & .4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Phester

http://btireland.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btireland.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=12&p_created=1084353014&p_sid=q_l92Jui&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9ODMmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPTIyNCwyMjcsMjQyJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9My4yNDImcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Encapsulation: PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet)

Multiplexing: LLC-based

VPI: 8

VCI: 35
    MTU: use default setting

DNS: auto assigned

If required please use the following

Preferred DNS: 192.111.39.1

Alternate DNS: 192.111.39.4

strange that they recommend you to use a dns belong to eircom
    I think that these belong to esat because A tracert brings up esat as the destination

Esat DNS list
    192.111.39.1 NS1
    192.111.39.4 NS2
    192.111.39.100 NS3
    194.125.2.240 NS4
    194.125.2.241 NS5

Anybody got eircoms DNS list? or any irish equivelent that appears to be fast ping times?

Big thumbs up to DOC & local TD Dermot Ahern and to the engineers that came out this morning :D . DTT not affecting the line so back up to 3MB for a while today.
    My line is fine externally and internally, was getting the right download speed off Eircom FTP & http test. That got me baffled so i suggested that they try download the speedtest file from EsatBT as that was what my speed was been based on throughout the problems i was having, my speed then dropped :confused: , so God knows.

Then back to this while still at 3MB :
    Welcome to the eircom broadband Test your Speed Site

Result: 93.49 KBps
    Home Starter PackageOn this package you should expect download Speeds of between 256kb and 1024kb (kilobits) or between 25KB and 100KB (Kilobytes)
    Home Plus PackageOn this package you should expect download Speeds of between 256kb and 2024kb (kilobits) or between 25KB and 200KB (Kilobytes)

Now back to 2MB
    Welcome to the eircom broadband Test your Speed Site

Result: 186.03 KBps

Business Plus
    On this package you should expect download Speeds of between 1024kb/1MB and 2MB (megabytes) or 100KB and 200KB (Kilobytes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 omcintyre

Same here in Donegal. broadband has been getting slower since December. even Letterkenny IT's internet has slowed drastically, some times dial-up is faster. My current download speed is on average is 70kbps and upload is 206kbps. There has being no explanation for these slowdown and outages other than the ratio of users on each connection must have gone up with a Christmas run on broadband. Lets hope that all the broadband upgrade works that is going on throughout the country will improve on these ratios, and give us our speeds back. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

Mine appears to have gone back to normal.
    BT agreed (for Eircom) to perform a DSL test last week. I'm not sure if they found and resolved a fault but I'm back to what I was before Christmas.
    Hopefully it stays this way.

90579571.png

omcintyre wrote:
    Same here in Donegal. broadband has been getting slower since December. even Letterkenny IT's internet has slowed drastically, some times dial-up is faster. My current download speed is on average is 70kbps and upload is 206kbps. There has being no explanation for these slowdown and outages other than the ratio of users on each connection must have gone up with a Christmas run on broadband. Lets hope that all the broadband upgrade works that is going on throughout the country will improve on these ratios, and give us our speeds back. :mad:
    I didn't get an answer as to why mine is knackered and when I ask about upgrade work I was told there was none.
    Conar wrote:
    Mine appears to have gone back to normal.
    Either it's been fixed or there's not many online today with the rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Now that is strange... Your broadband connection was working fine until you used the BT speedtest? Do they have you set on the 2 Mb package now? At least that ****e about the DTT trial has been conclusively ruled out.

Did they mention anything about any other kind of interference or any other possible cause even?

Now that is strange... Your broadband connection was working fine until you used the BT speedtest? Do they have you set on the 2 Mb package now? At least that ****e about the DTT trial has been conclusively ruled out.

Did they mention anything about any other kind of interference or any other possible cause even?
    Yeah I'm back on 2MB and better off for it, leasts it's stable. DTT ruled out, funny though at how quick people came out when that was mentioned.
    No other interference, line is fine and as for cause I'm still waiting for an answer.

This was at 3MB yesterday (then it got worse) :

90168716.png

Was switched back then to 2MB at around 4 or 5pm yesterday and this is the speed I've been getting since :

90603656.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Anyone having problem Dublin northside - portmarnock area ? Speed for last few days down to 242kb/s . Saw BT have block of new IP addresses 78.XX.etc . Don't seem to be routing properly. Using Open Dns not increasing speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

I have been getting those 78.xx.xx addresses all day and the connection has been woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

paul@computa ~ $ ping www.esat.net
    PING www.esat.com (193.95.153.20) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 193.95.153.20: icmp_seq=1 ttl=122 time=11.9 ms
    64 bytes from 193.95.153.20: icmp_seq=2 ttl=122 time=11.6 ms
    64 bytes from 193.95.153.20: icmp_seq=8 ttl=122 time=11.4 ms
    64 bytes from 193.95.153.20: icmp_seq=12 ttl=122 time=11.2 ms

--- www.esat.com ping statistics ---
    13 packets transmitted, 4 received, 69% packet loss, time 12073ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 11.231/11.569/11.990/0.295 ms

Absolute shambles tbh. :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement