Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for 1850 number?

Options
  • 16-01-2007 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I can't find any info anywhere about this, so hopefully somebody can shed some light:)

I'm interested in getting an 1850 number and have it connect to my mobile phone. It will be for business purposes so I wont have to be using my mobile number on business cards etc. Does anyone know how much such a service costs and what's the story with the cost to ring it? I'm sure my mobile provider wouldn't be happy with people ringing me off their own phone for only 15c per call instead of what could be about €6 for a 10 minute call.

So how does all that work does anyone know?

Any feedback would be appreciated:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

There are a number of providers.

BT isn't too costly. They call it their telenumbers service.

Your mobile company won't be annoyed at all - the caller pays 1850 rates, but you pay the difference. If you are routing it to a mobile phone that could be quite hefty.

That is assuming you can actually forward the 1850 number on to a mobile - I have only ever done it to a landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Damn, I was really hoping it wouldn't be a case of me paying the difference:D

I know carcheck.ie have an 1850 number that direct to the guys mobile, so I think it's definitely possible. I rang o2 and I'm expecting a call back from their business dept about it.

What was the set-up with BT for it like? What charges did you have to pay and what other companies offer it and who's the best to go with has anyone any idea?

:)

Been having a google... and shockingly enough, it seems Eircom are the cheapest:eek:

They charge E65+12.50 per month for an 1850/1890 number.

Another company, who I haven't heard of until today, Kendlebell.ie, offer it for E50 set up plust E15 per month.

So Kendlebell will only work out cheaper if I use it for less than 6 months so.

I find it hard to believe Eircom offer the best price for this, I've tried BT and I'm yet to hear back from o2, but I can't find anyone else who offers it, if anyone has any recommendations, please share:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Did you try BT? They do 1890 for a fiver a month (ex VAT, and not sure of setup charge).

Set up charge with BT is 250 I think:eek:

After looking into the pricing more, kendlebell.ie offer much more than Eircom for that extra 2.50 per month so I'll be using them I think. For example, Eircom charge E60 to change the number it's directed to, with kendlebell, you can just login to their site and change it yourself free of charge in 20 seconds. They also redirect if busy/no answer for free, Eircom charge an additional E6 per month for this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

my telenumbers line with BT does not cost me anything. I just pay for the call usage. There was no set-up fee either. Maybe this has changed. It was a while ago.

The other thing is I have landlines with them so perhaps this affects things.

What are the first four digits of your number? If it's a 0818 number, then they don't cost anything I think. The reason I don't want to pick that is because I don't think people will recognise that as a cheap number:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

cormie wrote:
    What are the first four digits of your number? If it's a 0818 number, then they don't cost anything I think. The reason I don't want to pick that is because I don't think people will recognise that as a cheap number:confused:

0818 is not a cheap number anyway, I noticed on my last bill that I had almost €6 of calls to 0818 mostly due to Sky's f*cked up service. I must have spent a good hour or two listening to the same stupid music before eventually getting through. I personally boycott 0818 unless I have absolutely no choice ala Sky.

Really? Ok, I think I'll choose 1890 then so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

0818 numbers are billed at the national rate, for example 5 cents per minute from an Eircom landline. So it's neither an expensive nor a really cheap number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Yup, although they do tend to be excluded from bundles, lower rates, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Good point cgarvey. I failed to mention that. Like you said, the end result is that if you have inclusive minutes, or you bought an "unlimited calling" package, calls to 0818 will not be included, and will continue to be billed at the "standard" national rate. The same goes for 1890 numbers, as these are normally also excluded.

"Network operators shall not charge originating callers to 0818 numbers more than the retail charge for making the call if calculated at the standard national tariff rate of the network operator from which the call is made."

Note: 'Standard' in this case means not taking account of weekend offers or other special prices

I got this sorted anyway.

I went with an 1890 number, cheaper for me but still has the cheap element for my callers too and is recognised in Ireland as a cheap number.

It will cost:
    To confirm:

1. We charge a once-off €50 setup fee.

2. We charge a monthly rental of €15 for the 1890 number.

3. We charge 4c per minute from a landline and 14c per minute from a mobile.

4. We charge 25c per minute to terminate the call on a Ireland mobile.

If anyone else is interested. The 25c charge means, if I pick it up on a mobile, they charge that, on top of the 4c/14c. I'm going to choose to route it to my voip 01 landline number and the 1890 providers can set it so if it's not picked up after X amount of rings, it will then go to my mobile. So if I get it on the VOIP, it'll be 25c less!

Advertisement