Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I pay UK VAT, would I still be liable for Irish tax?

Options
  • 16-01-2007 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I am buying something from a UK distributor to be delivered to Ireland. They say they will charge VAT at 17.5% (the UK rate). Would I have to pay any Irish tax on the goods?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

On a similiar question - do UK customers at Amazon.co.uk get charged VAT at payment time the way Irish customers do? It can't be inbuilt surely as otherwise we're paying 21% on top of their 17.5%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

fluppet wrote:
    I am buying something from a UK distributor to be delivered to Ireland. They say they will charge VAT at 17.5% (the UK rate). Would I have to pay any Irish tax on the goods?

Thanks
    No. Once you've paid the VAT within the EU there is no more liability to you. A company that is shipping more than some specific amount to another country is required to pay the VAT at the receiving countries rate. Hence Amazon charging different VAT rates to Ireland and UK.

As for ixoy's question, that's a good one. Don't know the answer there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

ixoy wrote:
    On a similiar question - do UK customers at Amazon.co.uk get charged VAT at payment time the way Irish customers do? It can't be inbuilt surely as otherwise we're paying 21% on top of their 17.5%?

The price displayed on product pages at amazon is the price inclusive of UK VAT.
    When you go to checkout the pre-vat price is displayed plus postage and the VAT appropriate to the destination country.

Add a UK address to your delivery address in your account details and you can switch between them to see the difference that UK VAT (and free shipping :mad: ) makes.

Advertisement