Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.177 Air pistol Question...

Options
  • 16-01-2007 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

Hey All,
    Just have a quick question, hope I'm in the right section!!

Question about the Weihrauch HW40PCA .177 Air pistol
    http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=47

Its quoted as having a Max Velocity of 410 ft/s however I cannot find out what this is in joules and whether it is over the max allowance of 1 joule.

Over in the airsoft forum there are a number of graphs that show the ft/s and size bb in a jouleage graph so you can work out whether or not a gun is over or under however these are bb's and not lead pellets.

Could find anything in the Firearms act sticky or couldn't find the jouleage on Google.

Anyone able to help me??.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm in a similar situation, I bought a Walter CP99 over Christmas and I don't know how to license it. Its currently in Germany and I need to know what to do with it to bring it over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The HW40PCA will be well over 1 Joule - the mass of the lead pellets and the speed they're moving at pretty much guarantess that, someone with more time than me and an intimate knowledge of .177 pellets (Sparks? :)) will work out the muzzle energy for you, I'm sure.

I'd say the CP99 will be over 1J too, so it'll be the same process as for a 9mm or any other firearm, seems like a lot of work for what's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

civdef wrote:

Cheers civdef, By that page's calculations its between 3 and 5 joules :eek: depending on the pellet weight!!!!

Think I'll have to move to Germany so :D !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

please tell me you don't intend on using that in a skirmish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

2.8 ft-lbs according to this http://www.airgunbuyer.com/Showproducts.asp?cat=Pistols&SubCat=Recoilless%20Pistols

That'd be about 3.8 Joules, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Vegeta wrote:
    please tell me you don't intend on using that in a skirmish

I sincerly hope he doesn't, a friend of mine had some trouble distinguishing between an airsoft rifle and an air rifle before. I nearly choked when he showed me a picture of the gun he wanted to bring to a skirmish. He even showed me a picture of the ammo he wanted to use a lump of lead with a big point on the end.

So just for the record an airsoft gun fires a (usually) 6mm BB using a spring, air or compressed gas and to be legal under current Irish Law must shoot a .20g BB at under 328fps or the owner must obtain a firearms license (pretty sure I got that right). I doubt slayerking wanted this for airsoft but hey better safe then sorry. Anyway since airsoft discussions don't really belong here I'll just retreat to my own quiet corner of boards thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

N.O.I.P. wrote:
    I sincerly hope he doesn't, a friend of mine had some trouble distinguishing between an airsoft rifle and an air rifle before. I nearly choked when he showed me a picture of the gun he wanted to bring to a skirmish. He even showed me a picture of the ammo he wanted to use a lump of lead with a big point on the end.

So just for the record an airsoft gun fires a (usually) 6mm BB using a spring, air or compressed gas and to be legal under current Irish Law must shoot a .20g BB at under 328fps or the owner must obtain a firearms license (pretty sure I got that right). I doubt slayerking wanted this for airsoft but hey better safe then sorry. Anyway since airsoft discussions don't really belong here I'll just retreat to my own quiet corner of boards thanks.

Skirmishes :eek: , God No. If you shot someone with the Weihrauch HW40, You'd really hurt them, Prob break skin anyway.
    Its for Plinking, target shooting etc and maybe the odd vermin (mouse, rat) if they get im my way!!! That'd be the height of it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Phew after all the money I've spent on AEGs I can't really afford body armour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

'K lads I think this would be better off in Airsoft so I'll shunt it over there now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,961 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Gonna throw this back over to shooting if you don't mind Sparks. Best to keep talk of air pistols out of the airsoft forum. Don't want someone turning up a skirmish with one and shooting holes in people :eek:

You can slap N.O.I.P on the wrist for mentioning AEG's in shooting ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Harekin

Thats a good idea. Dont want airguns and airsoft guns related in any way.

Advertisement