Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband question

Options
  • 16-01-2007 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Have IBB doing a check to see if I can get the 3meg breeze package.

What is the feeling on the quality of the service IBB now provide ? The sales guy admitted they were a bit rough over a year ago but are up to speed now.

Also - they provide a modem which the coax from the ariel goes into and. I want to be able to connect upstairs wirelessly. So would I be looking for a wireless router with a wan port ? I assume I run cat5 from the ethernet port on the IBB modem to the Wan connection on the router, and any pc's then connect to the router (over ethernet or wirlessly) which pulls the ip off the web via the modem. Any recommendations on what router to go for ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes that router set up will work, the ibb modem has a cat 5 socket which you plug into.

As for if thier service is relible it depends on where you are, ask about your locality.
    If you are in d15 I would advise against it unless you consider being with out a service for 5 days due to network issues every 4 months or so with no explianation,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

IBB seems to be fine most of the time.

I know a lot of people who have it in D 15 with no or very few problems.

There is a boardster from D 15 who seems to have awful problems but his case seems to be very very special, I'm starting to think someone in IBB is actually out to annoy him or he's very very unlucky ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rwallirl

I have IBB installed in an area not formally covered by them, but the service is fine. Not up to the official speed, but since the installation is out of normal contracted areas my parents are happy enough. Never had any full outages, although there are times the quality of the signal drops quite alarmingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I have it upstairs facing aerial,look at coverage map on ibb website.How far are you from the transmitter.I,m on the edge of the coverage area ,i get 200k,per sec 5bars signal out of a possible 10 ,thats for ripwave service .Sometimes i cannot connect to websites,i go to dos ,type ipconfig /renew ,that fixs it.I use smart broadband 3meg service,no cap , its about same price as breeze much faster,eg download 600meg game demo in 12minutes.Breeze is worth getting if you dont wanna pay line rental or line fails the eircom test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

For me i think IBB is fine about half of the time. Im a week with now with no connection, I sent them an email yesterday and heard nothing from them yet. When I have problems of witch ive had a lot it takes weeks for them to sort it out. Id say about 8 weeks has been the average for them to sort me out, and im with them over 2 years now so their rough patch of a year ago does not appaly to me.

When it works it is good.

IBB dont give you a modem as you dont need it. You get a Cat5 cable of yer ariel and it goes straight into youre PC. Or in my case i put that into my wireless router`s wan port and I have wireless LAN with a BB connection from that. Ya can pick up a wireless router for about 60 yoyos these days IBB will sell ya one but it costs more than that. Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

I initially had major problems with my breeze connection. It turned out that my network card wasnt fully compatable with the Breeeze radio so I replaced it. Then I seemed to suffer huge packet loss which was solved by setting my mtu to 1460. Since then (roughly a year ago) ive had a fantastic service and will download at 352k (roughly 2.91 megs) 99% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Thanks for all the info.

They said I was in coverage and they would run some more tests and ring me back. They needed an account no. though so I gave them my credit card no. Even though they said they would charge nothing to it (even if I decide not to go ahead), they still charged 1€. Probably just a verification. Anyway, are these guys trustworthy ? In the event I do not go ahead, I hope they don't decide to start charging up my card ?

Well watch that. Onece i gave them my bank info they came out for a LOS test and I thought that if i passed I had the option to take it or leave it. But onece I passed my LOS it was installed and chargen from that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Well watch that. Onece i gave them my bank info they came out for a LOS test and I thought that if i passed I had the option to take it or leave it. But onece I passed my LOS it was installed and chargen from that day.

So you ordered broadband from them, LOS depending. They installed you and gave you service and then they started charging you from the day that you got service, thats terrible!!!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I've had IBB Breeze in both Leixlip and Drogheda with no problems whatsoever.

• Advertisement

So you ordered broadband from them, LOS depending. They installed you and gave you service and then they started charging you from the day that you got service, thats terrible!!!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

what im saying was I didnet know that my BB would be installed right after the LOS test. I thought they did that then rang ya up and said ya passed so do you want it now? That was how I thought it worked. I had no idea the day the did the LOS test that I would be installed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

what im saying was I didnet know that my BB would be installed right after the LOS test. I thought they did that then rang ya up and said ya passed so do you want it now? That was how I thought it worked. I had no idea the day the did the LOS test that I would be installed also.

I see what you mean, but look at it their way, it costs €€ to send installers to check LOS, then costs €€ again if you ask to get it installed, so they do the job in one fell swoop. Less profit for IBB if they do it the two step way + they'd only get half the work done or else have to hire more installers.

I think the sales dude should have made it more clear that if you passed LOS test, you were getting an install. Maybe he figured you really wanted it since you ordered it.

Don't think there is an easier way to do this & still make reasonable €€.
    I'm not making excuses for IBB, I think they all do this.

Advertisement