Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I dont get it - buying up North

Options
  • 16-01-2007 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Anytime I find a car I like, convert it to euro from sterling, then go on the revenue website and check what I have to pay, it works out the same give or take a few (very few) quid. Everyone is saying that its much cheaper to buy a car up North or in the UK, but I don’t see how. Am I doing something wrong? I am looking to buy second hand, perhaps its only for new cars the savings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

It depends what your are looking at. Some cars hold there value in the North/UK much better than they do here owing to the tax and daft insurance costs in Ireland. It's rare that you won't save something, and nearly every car is better spec'd and in better condition.

Also, the VRT people supposedly monitor the site/which cars are being VRT'd and if it's popular in their opionion they magically increase the price of the VRT...:confused: Unless I win the lotto, now matter how rich I hopefully get, I'll never buy another car here for this and other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

I was just looking at a BMW, nothing special like maybe a 3 series 2002 model or something...when i convert it and pay VRT, im not saving anything.

Seriously, It must be overpriced then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Not much saving on BMWs or Mercs in the UK. You can save €1000-2000 if you look for something outside these. Good saving on Audi A4, A6, Honda Accords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

just picked these at random to test it:

BMW 316i SE , 4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 2003 , 56,000 miles, Metallic Blue. ABS, Air conditioning, Computer, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Front armrest, Immobiliser, Park distance control, Remote locking, Side airbags, Traction control, Upgraded Alloys, CD Multichanger, Full service history, Multi function steering wheel. Insurance Group:11, Mint condition £10,750

From here: http://www.glennhilarymotorsales.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=21096&pageid=2
    = €16,316 + €4066 VRT = €20382

Very similar spec and mileage here from carzone €26995
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=529022

saving of €6613 - days travelling and petrol max €100=
    total saving €6513

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't know if the North is that different to mainland UK, but if you take this 2002 BMW 320D it would be on the road over here for less than €19K, and it looks to be fully loaded.

That seems to be very much towards the lower end of the price scale for the same car over here (link).

If nothing else, you probably have a chance of getting the same car but with a lot more extras than the same money would buy over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

When I was buying my "new" car, I made a €4k saving by not buying up North/in England. I was buying quite a rare car in Ireland but they're very popular in the UK. Had my flights and accomodation and car rental booked and 2 days before I was due to fly to England to see a few cars, one popped up for sale in Ireland. Bought it that night and haven't looked back since.
    Really depends on the car you're looking at.
    Oh and that was a €4k saving on a €16k car so quite a substantial saving!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I priced a Honda Accord Estate in the UK and it was coming in at €27k cleared with VRT. Similar here had asking price of €34k

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I probably saved up to 5k as the Audi I purchased with the spec it has cannot be got here. There is serious savings up there or even more in the UK. BMW's seem to be priced very high on the VRT calculator here for some reason,

BMW's seem to be priced very high on the VRT calculator here for some reason
    And bizarrely, some Alfas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

yop wrote:
    BMW's seem to be priced very high on the VRT calculator here for some reason

I noticed that on several occasions too. Also lower end Mercs and Beamers don't depreciate half as much as other cars in the UK. Higher end ones might be a better option to import

I've seen good deals on Fords (Mondeo in particular), Audis, Hondas but I'm sure there are many other ones

As a general rule, the newer the car is, the less sense it makes to import. By importing a car, you kind of "double pay" the VRT. You pay VRT based on the OMSP in Ireland, which includes VRT already!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

unkel wrote:
    I By importing a car, you kind of "double pay" the VRT. You pay VRT based on the OMSP in Ireland, which includes VRT already!
    I think the same is actually true when you buy a new car here, ie VRT is charged as a percentage of the price of the new car including VRT.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

VRT is a recursive tax - its amount is decided on the value of the car including VRT!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

For models like Ford the trim and equipment level has always been better in the north than here. Compare the Flexi-Fuel Focus, you can get it in Ghia trim there but only in crappy LX form here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

My da saved about 8 grand on a 2004 XType when he went up to Belfast last summer. Also, friend bought a 2001 A4 in Manchester about 18 months ago, drove it here for a year and sold it on for the same price he paid for it. There are savings to be had on premium marques to be sure. I'll certainly be buying my next set of wheels over the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

From personal experience I wouldn't buy in the North. The last time i went looking nearly everything I looked at was clocked! (I was looking for a BMW 5 series at the time). The worst thing was they didn't even hide it too well, by ringing the main dealer for the service history you could see straight away that the car had services at mileages way past what was on the clock. Either that or they have figured out some new way of servicing!!!
    I have bought my last two cars in the UK, made nice savings, got nice cars. Don't be afraid of the bit of water between here & there!

Also, it's what you perceive as a 'saving'. The cars I've had from the UK I've pretty much broke even on. Even after a year or so of ownership doing higher miles than I do now, IRC on the BMW I had I did 16k in one year and sold it for what I paid minus the cost of getting it through the NCT (about €300). Nearly free motoring works for me :D

Have to agree with the points about mileage in the North, a lot of cars I've seen have come through UK auctions and were suspect to say the least, as were a good few of the people selling them.

Advertisement