Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Smartphone advice...

• 16-01-2007 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi all,
    It's time for my yeary upgrade and was looking for a little advice. I'm trying to decide between a Nokia E61 and a Blackberry Pearl. I've seen the Blackberry Pearl in action in work and was very impressed but the lack of wifi and 3G put me off slightly. The E61 has everything I could need in a phone (no need for a camera) but it's very big. Does anyone have any info/advice to tip the scales in one direction.
    I'm currently with Vodafone but I am willing to transfer to O2 although Vodafone say that they will be selling the Pearl this month (anyone have a date/details on this?). I'll be leaving my current job in September to travel the world for a couple of years and will be doing some work on the road so a quadband phone is essential(rules out nice new phones like the E70 - also being released by Vodafone this month) and I want the email capabilities but I'll have a latitude x1 with me for anything heavy.

Any advice much appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Hi,

Seeing as you are on vodafone you could always get the
    palm treo 750V. No WI FI but it does has 3G. It runs windows mobile.

I know it is available in ireland but I cannot see a link on their site.

Here is the uk link

Palm Treo 750 V link

Vodafone has an exclusivity deal on this smartphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I also like to change every year and was thinking about similar phones. I recently picked up the pearl and switched to O2 and am delighted with it; size functionality and ease of use.
    The 1 think putting me off about the E61 is its width. It looks cool but after a while in my pocket I'm sure it would get annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

i work for vodafone.....the pearl is availble in the business/corporate space since early last week....the E70 should be available sometime next week(awaiting variant of software).....i use the E61 myself and love it....have used it on direct push(using mail for exchange) and also Vodafone Business E-Mail(Visto).....if you need any further info just PM me and i'll try and get it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭epgriffin

Thanks for the replies guys. I have to say I'm leaning towards the E61. The size still puts me off but anyone I've spoken to that has one seem to be delighted with it. wirelessdude - is it pocketable(if that's even a word!) or will I need a big old wild west style holster hanging off of my belt?! Also, does it support Mobile TV? I've heard that the vodafone branded ones need stock firmware before thay are recognised on Vodafone Live in the UK....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

The E61 is totally pocketable (unless you are in a Ramones cover band or something). Its very slim has a wedge shape slightly tapered at one end. Best phone I have used, best smartphone I have used. Best Nokia I have bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭epgriffin

Just a quick update. I ended up getting the E61 and I have to say that it's the first mobile phone I've been totally happy with since the 6310i. It does exactly what it says on the tin and more! And it's an absolute bargain on the vodafone upgrade at the moment. Oh and it fits in my pocket almost as easily as any other phone. Thanks for the advice everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Good choice. Check out www.e-series.org for the latest in software, themes, goodies for the E61. Lots of good stuff there.

epgriffin wrote:
    Just a quick update. I ended up getting the E61 and I have to say that it's the first mobile phone I've been totally happy with since the 6310i. It does exactly what it says on the tin and more! And it's an absolute bargain on the vodafone upgrade at the moment. Oh and it fits in my pocket almost as easily as any other phone. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Advertisement