Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you trust your service department?

Options
  • 16-01-2007 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

I booked my car in for a service today at a cost of €380.00 .cheap? I think not.

I asked them to look at the windscreen washer water pump because it wasnt working. they rang to say I needed 2 new tyres and the pump is banjaxed so needs to be replaced.

How am i to know if they are telling the truth. Maybe the pump is just blocked. Can we trust these people?

Its funny that everytime i book in for a service i get a list of extras that need doing. or is it just me?

Do you trust your service department? 11 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    not sure
    72% 8 votes
    no
    27% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

my last service cost me 1,000euro
    That was less than 6 months ago, I already need a new Bulb (anyone know a decent place to get a bulb for a vw polo?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I trust mine, but I'm lucky in that the guy who does my servicing is a very good friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Get yourself a Haynes manual relavent to your car and get your hands dirty.

Servicing my car this week at a total cost of €72 euro.

Fixed a radio in my grannys car today at a cost of €12.90. main dealer wanted between €200-€600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

1000 euro to service a polo? Are you serious? What was wrong? New engine?
    Get a bulb in any motor factors at all, they'll have one. Even get one in the VW dealership if need be (but a different one to where you got a service last!). Don't bother getting one in halfords. Standard halogen bulbs there are €25 for my car, whereas Toyota garage charged me about €1.50 or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SnoopyDogDog

definately motor factors. i get all my bulbs there for about €1 - yes, the mazda was bad for blowing the dual filment bulbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I do all my own Minor servicing now. A minor service = an oil and filter change and a general check of levels, bulbs, brake pads etc.
    22 quid for decent quality oil
    6 quid for a genuine filter from GSF
    50c for the washer
    ~1 hour of my time that I would probably have wasted watching TV if I hadn't been changing the oil.
    Old oil brought to bring centre and recycled

Same thing in somewhere like Liffey Valley Renault would cost around 210-220 quid. That's right, >200 quid for an oil change and the oil they use is not much dearer and no better than the oil i use so it's 200 quid for nothing really.

I don't know where people are getting headlight bulbs for 1 euro though! Even in a motor factors the cheapest I've gotten them for is about 3.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

BrianD3 wrote:
    ...Same thing in somewhere like Liffey Valley Renault would cost around 210-220 quid. That's right, >200 quid for an oil change and the oil they use is not much dearer and no better than the oil i use so it's 200 quid for nothing really.

I don't know where people are getting headlight bulbs for 1 euro though! Even in a motor factors the cheapest I've gotten them for is about 3.50.

Speaking of Renault parts prices, I was quoted 80E (+VAT) for a rear hub bearing by Renault in Coolmine. Same part from GSF was around 20E (incl. VAT). Similarly, I was quoted 180(+VAT) for rear brake shoes (admittedly, I think this included a new spring kit); GSF quoted approx. 40E (can't remember exact figure).
    Perhaps the 'genuine' Renault parts are better quality, but surely not by that much!
    I dread to think what their labour rates amount to - I suppose those shiny, glass-fronted showrooms don't come cheap.

Yes GSF can be good for Renault prices but unfortunately I've found on several occasion that they "can't get" certain items even those those items are listed on their website :confused: The best Renault value I got there was probably a non genuine water pump for about 30 euros when Renault wanted about 80 for the genuine article.

Labour rates in Liffey Valley were 75 per hour not incl VAT last time I checked. Probably more now. Coolmine Renault are probably similar

bmoferrall wrote:
    GSF quoted approx. 40E (can't remember exact figure).
    Correction (found the invoice): 23E + VAT

BrianD3 wrote:
    Yes GSF can be good for Renault prices but unfortunately I've found on several occasion that they "can't get" certain items even those those items are listed on their website :confused:
    True enough. I was pretty surprised when told they couldn't get a track rod end for a clio (while they did have wishbones).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Biro wrote:
    Don't bother getting one in halfords. Standard halogen bulbs there are €25 for my car, whereas Toyota garage charged me about €1.50 or something like that.

Sounds highly unlikely!

True enough. I was pretty surprised when told they couldn't get a track rod end for a clio (while they did have wishbones).
    Sounds familiar, here's a thread I posted about GSF
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054950615

BrianD3 wrote:
    Sounds familiar, here's a thread I posted about GSF
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054950615
    I've been going to Southside motors on Kylemore road lately (slightly nearer to me) and find them excellent. I must ask them about these mythical Renault track rod ends - I'll be darned if I'm gonna go to Renault for them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Doodee wrote:
    That was less than 6 months ago, I already need a new Bulb
    "Already" after 6 months :confused:.

I have to replace a bulb every other week. Bloody 5w parking light bulb always costs €6. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Doodee wrote:
    That was less than 6 months ago, I already need a new Bulb (anyone know a decent place to get a bulb for a vw polo?)

There is no way a Polo service cost €1000. There must have been a lot of extra work required.
    Did the Garage in question get permission from you before they did the work?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Maccattack wrote:
    I booked my car in for a service today at a cost of €380.00 .cheap? I think not.

I asked them to look at the windscreen washer water pump because it wasnt working. they rang to say I needed 2 new tyres and the pump is banjaxed so needs to be replaced.

How am i to know if they are telling the truth. Maybe the pump is just blocked. Can we trust these people?

Its funny that everytime i book in for a service i get a list of extras that need doing. or is it just me?

That may or may not be cheap. It depends on the type of car and the type of service as well as if it includes any extra work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Doodee wrote:

You should get on to consumers rights tbh, or better still, name and shame the b@st@rds.:rolleyes: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Doodee wrote:

you think thats bad last week my dad spent over 2,500 on his Volvo service through Spirit.
    Now thats what you call an expensive service as they said everything was wrong with it:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Why do most service depts charge €5 - €10 for oil disposal /environmental charge - just give me the oil myself and I'll get rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

My service costs about 180, and I only get someone else to do it because I don't have a good place or time to do it myself. Hes also has a computer to give the car a proper tune up. The filter on mine is in a real awkward position too. But whats there to do? Check the fluids, make sure everything working, brakes looks ok, and change oil and filter. I used to do it myself on all the families cars when I was living at home. Really should take less than an hour to do everything.

I think anything over 300 is a rip off, unless there's some unexpected work to be done, or its a unusual car. Really if you know nothing about cars, do an evening course and get a Haynes manual it will pay in the long run. Always get an itemised bill and everything broken down. Then you'll see things like they charged €20 to fill the washer bottles with water! Otherwise you are basically paying for someone else to go on holidays every time you have a service!

1000 for a polo, 2500 for a volvo OMG :eek: Love to see those broken down. Did you buy them a flat screen TV or something?

What gives this thread away is the term "service department" which means you are likely using a main stealer. In my experience they are very poor, they don't do it right, and they rip you off. So a full service history isn't always a good thing on a log book. You are much better going to a independent local guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

My car was serviced by Renault main dealer.. Two days later I got a flat so off I go to advance and as they were putting my alloy back on the guy told me my pads were shot. Had a look myself and he wasn't wrong. Now is it just me or is checking the pads not part of a service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

colm_mcm wrote:
    Sounds highly unlikely!
    Go into Halfords in Sligo then. I tried rubbing my eyes, everything... €24 to €26 for bulbs. I'd take a pic with the phone camera and post, but the price won't be clear on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

TheBazman wrote:
    Why do most service depts charge €5 - €10 for oil disposal /environmental charge - just give me the oil myself and I'll get rid of it.

Under EU enviromental laws (or maybe irish laws) Oil and the like can only be given to appointed waste oil companys who charge a pretty for the service, Hence an enviromental waste disposal charge. Same goes for tyres. And at O.P. €1000 for a polo service is just unbelievable and i work for a main dealer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

There are few things that should be pointed out about servicing, especially in Main Dealers.

1. A service consists of a series of checks & pre-determined activities. It is not intended to repair every fault that the car arrives into the garage with. For example: http://www.logun.org/inspc.htm
    Anything else that requires attention should be highlighted by the vehicle owner. Or if the garage is any good they should contact the owner while the car is in for service to recommend what work needs to be carried out.

2. Even with all the predetermined check lists garages fail to carry out the checks properly. Every manufacturer has a check list like the one above. For example I had a company Discovery a few years back & every time it went in for servicing it would come back with somethign basic wrong , like a blown light bulb not replaced, worn wiper baldes not replaced, handbrake not adjusted correclty. This would even happen when I specifically told them about these items!!!
    How could you trust service departments with that carry on?

3. The hourly rate you have to pay for wrk carried out a a mian dealer is excessive. You are basically paying for the nice show room the lovely flat screens in the waiting area, the free tea & coffee etc.

4. To top it off you normally get the apprentice "learning" on your car. So you are paying to whack for a young fella to change your oil. OK I know they are under supervision but still.
    There is a group of us into cars, doing our own maintenance etc. We have all the tools (compressors, plus every other tool you can name, one of the lads sells tools), a pit, the works. Of the 4 of us one is a mechanic & I can safely say the other 3 of us are better mechanics. This guy works for a main dealer!

They are my reasons for not trusting any service department. I'm sure it's not true in all garages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭DrChoda

Agreed about getting a service manual. Even better look on ebay for the actual manufacturer's service manual for that particular model. This will be the same thing that the dealership mechanics should be using.
    Much better to do whatever maintenance and repairs yourself if at all possible. As well, when you have to take it to a mechanic they might be less likely inclined to rip you off (as much) since you will have a clue about what is wrong, or at least part names etc.
    The best part about manufacturer's service manual is that they have the time listed it takes a professional certified mechanic to carry out the repairs. So something listed for 1 hour but they charge you for 3 can very easily be identified as a rip off.

Advertisement