Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contaminated Cannabis

• 16-01-2007 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

Yup,

Link - http://www.ukcia.org/

so be careful anyone who is a recreational smoker.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thank gods I am a law abider.
    >_>

*Sells stuff*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

You can't be serious. It's ALL contaminated. Always has been. Always will be, as long as it remains illegal and uncontrolled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

the dangers of prohibition as is the increase in gun crime. We had the provintional policing the whole thing here and with their demise the increse in orgainsed crime is obvious. The politians never even thought to consider this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Lads if your feeling paranoid at the moment you have every right to be so. Pighead knows for a fact that julep is flexing his fingers in advance of calling you all horrible names. (Dumb Stoners will just be for starters)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Sure there Is oil and everything In the hash that Is here. Is just cheap ****e that's mixed with alot of other rubbish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43hgBQCeZY&mode=related&search=

This guy shows you real hash then shows you the cheap stuff that Is In this country and It gets mixed with everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

m_stan wrote:
    You can't be serious. It's ALL contaminated. Always has been. Always will be, as long as it remains illegal and uncontrolled.
    Aye, but bits of glass? As small as 10 microns? That's bloody mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Thank fcuk im a law abiding citizen not one of the many many losers that need that stuff to "relax" ha ha losers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Simple solution to this.
    Don't buy soapbar :D

But yeah read about this on a few other forums. Disgrace really. Sand and glass? *shivers*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Pighead wrote:
    Lads if your feeling paranoid at the moment you have every right to be so. Pighead knows for a fact that julep is flexing his fingers in advance of calling you all horrible names. (Dumb Stoners will just be for starters)
    If you're paranoid it's prolly because you're a big ol' stoner and you suffer from bouts of paranoia anyway!

/me keeps an eye out for teh po-lice cuz they know!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Steyr wrote:
    Thank fcuk im a law abiding citizen not one of the many many losers that need that stuff to "relax" ha ha losers.

Did you come on to Boards trying to find friends on the internet?

Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

L&#233 wrote: »
    Simple solution to this.
    Don't buy soapbar :D

But yeah read about this on a few other forums. Disgrace really. Sand and glass? *shivers*
    it's not in soapbar, it's in the actual buds of herbal cannabis (weed), which was up until now, considered the cleanest and 'purest' type of smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Cake Fiend wrote:
    Did you come on to Boards trying to find friends on the internet?

Lol.
    Lol.

Read about this recently, crap that the good stuff is potentially laced with glass. However, theres enough decent soap/pollin/pollum floating around at the moment to keep things ok until this thing passes...but hopefully it passes soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Bah, if you smoke the correct way this wont affect you ;).

Bah, if you smoke the correct way this wont affect you ;).
    this would affect you regardless of what way you smoke??

griffdaddy wrote:
    this would affect you regardless of what way you smoke??

Oh ye :o , the glass melts doesnt it, blond moment ><.

Oh ye :o , the glass melts doesnt it, blond moment ><.
    lol.

it also (i think) comes through the roach as tiny shoots, i'm not sure though. it's a pain in the arse how much the weed chrystals look like glass, now it's gonna be impossible for people to tell if they're smoking really strong weed, or some guy from leeds double-glazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Doodee wrote:
    so be careful anyone who is a recreational smoker.

What about the poor professional smokers? :(

griffdaddy wrote:
    it also (i think) comes through the roach as tiny shoots, i'm not sure though. it's a pain in the arse how much the weed chrystals look like glass, now it's gonna be impossible for people to tell if they're smoking really strong weed, or some guy from leeds double-glazing.

Ye, that what i was thinking about but if you route it through some water you would eliminate that :p, still though those fumes cant be good for ya. I know some guys back in SA used to dip the buds in benzine :confused: , easy to spot though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

vapouriser should stop any of the contaiminated crap getting through to your body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Makes feck all difference folks. Firstly, glass melts at 1600C and a smoke burns at about 500C and in fact the Cannabis seed is generally around 10% SiO2 (glass) naturally.

Well they're obviously not warning us for nothing. Inhaling glass can't be healthy, they're tiny, miniscule shards of glass so I'd assume when smoking a spliff, given that theres no filter, that you could accidentally drag the tiny shards of glass through and down your throat, which can't be healthy.
    You're not meant to inhale the fumes/vapour thats given off when one of those long, fragile lightbulbs (can't remember the name) break so I'd assume the same thing applies here.

The horrible part of it is that the glass can pass off as the crystals on weed, so you're not going to know what you're smoking.

How the hell the glass got there, or why someone put it on it is beyond me. I'd hope people would stop buying weed for the time being, I know I'll give it a miss and stick with soap (as awful as some of it is)until this thing passes anyway , if anything the loss of profit would hit the producers hard enough to not have them mess up any time in the near future again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ah well, I live 45 mins from Holland so it doesn't bother me!

they put the glass in to make it heavier rb

griffdaddy wrote:
    they put the glass in to make it heavier rb
    Ah I see, so they're just assholes really. I can only hope that the rest of the Irish(and other) smokers aren't so stupid as to accept this shít.

Just make sure it comes from a VERY reliable source. If you can see it before its trimmed from the plant.......then its all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

So this is ground up glass thats added to a bag of weed (not resin), right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 angelicious

Legalise it, regulate it, take the money from the criminals & put it back into the economy. Use the profits to run rehab programs for all drug addics, (alcohol & nicotine included!), put it into better public health care, put it to damn better use than lining the pockets of those who shouldn't have it. If it were regulated, almost zero chance of contamination. Plus, creation of jobs.

It's a plant, ffs. Put here naturally by the grace of god, why is it wrong to smoke it or use as a flavour enhancer in cooking? But mass manufactured, artifical goop such as that produced by the likes of McDonalds is ok. So what if their 'food' encourages obesity in children & adults alike, leading to an array of life threatening problems. Eat yourself to an early grave, that's perfectly fine. But dare intake a natural plant substance - lock the evil-doer up & throw away that key!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Yeh, seen this sh!t, know the people that sell it.. They don't know it's on it, told them well before this all came out, but they never listened! It's the guys further up the ladder that are doing this..

Most of the time they just sell the weed kinda wet to make it weigh more.

I know for a fact that the bud I get is safe, test new bud to make sure, although it's obvious when this sh!t's on it, everyone thinks it's thc, but it's not! People can be so stupid!

EDIT: Also, 100% agree Angelicious!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

ive read that this is a growing trend not only in the UK, but even in Holland. It has been mistaken and sold in legitamate "coffeeshops" as some of the weed to the naked eye is no different to the contaminated stuff.
    The techology to do this is getting better and better, things are only going to get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Ah sure the glass is there to cut your throat so the weed is absorbed faster... :rolleyes:

Yeah, they're assholes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Legalise it, regulate it, take the money from the criminals & put it back into the economy. Use the profits to run rehab programs for all drug addics, (alcohol & nicotine included!), put it into better public health care, put it to damn better use than lining the pockets of those who shouldn't have it. If it were regulated, almost zero chance of contamination. Plus, creation of jobs.

It's a plant, ffs. Put here naturally by the grace of god, why is it wrong to smoke it or use as a flavour enhancer in cooking? But mass manufactured, artifical goop such as that produced by the likes of McDonalds is ok. So what if their 'food' encourages obesity in children & adults alike, leading to an array of life threatening problems. Eat yourself to an early grave, that's perfectly fine. But dare intake a natural plant substance - lock the evil-doer up & throw away that key!!
    That's pretty much my sentiments although I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than just legalising it right across the board. Or maybe it could be that simple, I dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

I don't think people realise exactly how bad this is, the glass is pretty much powder size whic means is will go straight into the lungs but it cannot be absorbed and so sits in them causing affects not dissimilar to asbestos...

Unlike the SiO2 which is plants normally which wont do that to your lungs, and no it doesn't melt either, or if it does your doing something wrong cause at thattemp you will destroy your THC...

I assume(don't know) that if you tried to dissolve hash crystals in any sort of solvent like ether or pure alchohol or somesuch that it would dissolve the glass however wouldn't. a simple test to show the difference?

Savman wrote:
    Or maybe it could be that simple, I dunno. cos i'm stoned......

Fixed your post for ya there Savman......:D

@ Angelicios........couldn't agree more. Asking for any of these politicians to have the brass to actually suggest something like this though is too much. Too many fatcats getting fatter and richer by just going with the flow and slapping each others backs.

Lets not have this turn to a debate over whether it should be legalized or not, its something that has been discussed time and time again on Boards and theres no need to veer this thread down that direction.

When in Holland, if you found out that the stores were selling contaminated weed, surely you could take legal action over it? Since its a legal drug over there. It'd be the same as a bad batch of beer over here, if someone (and their producers) were selling it then surely you could take action over it?

I know theres not a lot we can do about it over here, we've a choice of either growing it ourselves, smoking crappy soap or risking getting a contaminated batch of the good stuff. The only real thing we can do is refuse to buy weed until this is sorted out, but being the nation we are I very much doubt half the idiots in this country would bother. This could also have bad consequences, if people take the money they use to spend on weed and buy soap, demand on soap could shoot up and the suppliers here could stop bothering getting weed, thinking we're satisfied with that crap.

Its things like this that highlight the need for quality control, same with the odd bad E that floats around, the dodgy mushies which people who may or may not have a clue what they're looking for are picking in our mountains and selling to punters, not knowing whether they're selling proper mushies or the dodgy, dangerous wild mushrooms that can be found. Regulation of the soft drugs in this country would be a step in the right direction, but whether our Government will ever step in and go against a lot of the voters (though they seem to have no problem in doing so in other areas) I don't know.

• Advertisement

SOL wrote:
    I don't think people realise exactly how bad this is, the glass is pretty much powder size whic means is will go straight into the lungs but it cannot be absorbed and so sits in them causing affects not dissimilar to asbestos...

Unlike the SiO2 which is plants normally which wont do that to your lungs, and no it doesn't melt either, or if it does your doing something wrong cause at thattemp you will destroy your THC...

I assume(don't know) that if you tried to dissolve hash crystals in any sort of solvent like ether or pure alchohol or somesuch that it would dissolve the glass however wouldn't. a simple test to show the difference?
    Thats an interesting idea, though I don't know how the crystals could be separated from the glass, without destroying the crystals in the process.

Melting the crystals is an idea, given that the glass particles would stay separate once its heated at a low temperature, but if said glass is a powder then surely it'd blend in?

Also, the weed/bud itself would have to be cleaned somehow. As plain an idea as it is, I wonder would holding a bud to a hair dryer blow the glass powder/shards from it.

rb_ie wrote:
    Its things like this that highlight the need for quality control, same with the odd bad E that floats around, the dodgy mushies which people who may or may not have a clue what they're looking for are picking in our mountains and selling to punters, not knowing whether they're selling proper mushies or the dodgy, dangerous wild mushrooms that can be found. Regulation of the soft drugs in this country would be a step in the right direction, but whether our Government will ever step in and go against a lot of the voters (though they seem to have no problem in doing so in other areas) I don't know.

Can't argue with a lot of that. My only issue is with E. Have, and will in the futre, gotten/get madoutofit a fair few times but it's not something that I'd like to see legalised. Just can't conceive of it being the same as weed. Agree with the shrooms points though. That hullabaloo*** over your man that killed himself was the biggest knee-jerk reaction I've ever witnessed. No mention of conducting proper studies on them, nobody suggesting that it might have been the mushies revealing an underlying, pre-existing condition. Just whip them off the shelves and ban them outright.

***I am in now way trivialising somebodies death. Nor am I trying to suggest that the mushrooms had no part in the unfortunate and tragic events that occurred on that day. I just think the hysteria/media outrage surrounding it was sickening. Parasites sensationalising the death of a young person to try and sell a few more copies of some rag is a lot more harmful to society than something that grows on cow sh!t.

rb_ie wrote:

I agree with you 100% which is why I brought up the legalisation issue. People are going to do drugs no mattter what, but if those drugs, (dare I say it, even heroin), were subject to regulation & rigorous control, they would be supplied in a safer environment & would be a helluva lot cleaner than the filthy crap being dished out by the dealers. The hierarchy care nothing for the health of their clients, only the health of their wallets.

Can't argue with a lot of that. My only issue is with E. Have, and will in the futre, gotten/get madoutofit a fair few times but it's not something that I'd like to see legalised. Just can't conceive of it being the same as weed. Agree with the shrooms points though. That hullabaloo*** over your man that killed himself was the biggest knee-jerk reaction I've ever witnessed. No mention of conducting proper studies on them, nobody suggesting that it might have been the mushies revealing an underlying, pre-existing condition. Just whip them off the shelves and ban them outright.

***I am in now way trivialising somebodies death. Nor am I trying to suggest that the mushrooms had no part in the unfortunate and tragic events that occurred on that day. I just think the hysteria/media outrage surrounding it was sickening. Parasites sensationalising the death of a young person to try and sell a few more copies of some rag is a lot more harmful to society than something that grows on cow sh!t.
    The media latch onto anything that can be perceived as negative and point the finger at it, the parents in question don't help the matter either. Its not as though they're going to admit that the child had a shít childhood or something that could have caused it ,they're going to point the finger at whatever they can.
    For example, those parents blaming the media lately for their child hanging himself after Saddams execution, or the parents/media blaming Marilyn Manson for their kids killing themselves/going on killing sprees, or GTA for some f*cked up kid going and blowing a few people away.

I'm not saying that the mushrooms didn't play their part in his death, but assuming that they're fully responsible is a bit iffy.

Pure MDMA is a relatively safe drug, except to those with heart conditions and once its used properly (iirc). The danger with E is that noone but the producer knows what kind of crap they've mixed in with it. The E that this country receives has a low amount of MDMA in it, while full of other crap/chemicals that producer stuck in it to make himself some more profit. If its quality was regulated I think it could be not only extremely profitable from a tax revenue point of view, but it would take a huge amount of the risk associated with taking it away. It wouldn't bother me either way if it was legalized or remained illegal, its a drug I've chosen not to do again, but since there is a massive amount of people in this country using it and who will continue to use it whether its legal or illegal, regulating the quality of it would be a step in the right direction.

I think a lot of cannabis users will underestimate the damage that these glass shards/powder can do to them. Thankfully its mostly soap thats available at the moment, but our markets could quickly become saturated with this shíte and the ignorant among us could happily buy it and fill their lungs full of glass powder. For personal reasons that I won't discuss on a public internet forum, I'm personally not too worried (and no, by that I don't mean I grow it myself to any Gardaí who could be reading).

Hopefully this won't become a wide spread problem, especially in Amsterdam as it would certainly be the cities downfall.

Since the producers/sellers of weed are the ones lacing the product with this glass, it must be a significant amount considering they're trying to change the actual weight of the weed...which is worrying.
    That said, God only know what else is mixed into soap.

I'm not too worried either, I haven't been smoking for ages. The main reason being that it's virtually impossible for me to get my paws on anything where I live! There is what seems to be a never ending drought going on......

I miss stonage
    :(

• Advertisement

I'm not too worried either, I haven't been smoking for ages. The main reason being that it's virtually impossible for me to get my paws on anything where I live! There is what seems to be a never ending drought going on......

I miss stonage
    :(
    Yeah I've heard some places are experiencing a drought, haven't had a problem myself but apparently its been a particularly bad one. Better than a flood of glass filled weed for the moment I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

So glad I stopped smoking at the start of the summer (not that I smoked that much in the first place :rolleyes: ) First the price goes up between a third and a half and now this ****! Hard times for the ordinary decent law abiding citizens, wha?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

It's a plant, ffs. Put here naturally by the grace of god, why is it wrong to smoke it or use as a flavour enhancer in cooking? But mass manufactured, artifical goop such as that produced by the likes of McDonalds is ok. Eat yourself to an early grave, that's perfectly fine. But dare intake a natural plant substance - lock the evil-doer up & throw away that key!!

Cocaine and heroin are also derived every bit as much from "plants put here naturally by the grace of God". Doesnt mean we should make gear available down the pub does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

rb_ie wrote:
    When in Holland, if you found out that the stores were selling contaminated weed, surely you could take legal action over it? Since its a legal drug over there.
    No, it's not. It's just not a police priority.

Edit: In general, production, transport and processing of marijuana is illegal. Coffee shops having a proper permit are allowed to keep a minimal stockpile and are allowed to sell that to customers. How and where these coffee shops buy it and how they get it into the coffee shops is not regulated and hence illegal under the general rule (but as long as the coffee shops don't cause trouble selling, finding out how they are buying is not a police priority). People are allowed to keep a certain amount of marijuana for personal use, where more than X gram will be considered to be for commercial use. Consumption of drugs is permitted.

biko wrote:
    No, it's not. It's just not a police priority.

Edit: In general, production, transport and processing of marijuana is illegal. Coffee shops having a proper permit are allowed to keep a minimal stockpile and are allowed to sell that to customers. How and where these coffee shops buy it and how they get it into the coffee shops is not regulated and hence illegal under the general rule (but as long as the coffee shops don't cause trouble selling, finding out how they are buying is not a police priority). People are allowed to keep a certain amount of marijuana for personal use, where more than X gram will be considered to be for commercial use. Consumption of drugs is permitted.
    Ah, I see. Unfortunate.

But it certainly won't stop me going there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Hmm this is unfortunate. >_>

I'm all up for weed being legalised. If someone wants to start a discussion thread on this then feel free to. If you want to have this thread on AH that's your choice ( and probably not a wise one ). If it spirals out of control I will get rid of the thread, as I have done in the past.

I can see why weed being legalised and contaminated cannabis kind of over lap. If it was legalised, and produced properly then it would not be contaminated. I, for one, would rather give my hard earned to the government than some skanger on a street corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

shane86 wrote:
    Cocaine and heroin are also derived every bit as much from "plants put here naturally by the grace of God". Doesnt mean we should make gear available down the pub does it.

Um not really. In order to make heroin or cocaine a fairlly complex artifical process is required.

Also weed isint legal in holland its de-criminalized. Its not the same thing.

I could never understand why growing isint more popular in Ireland. Ireland gets the worst of the worst weed wise and we have all the technology along with a light police presence. Maybe its the lack of experience. Anyone got any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

ChRoMe wrote:
    Um not really. In order to make heroin or cocaine a fairlly complex artifical process is required.

Also weed isint legal in holland its de-criminalized. Its not the same thing.

I could never understand why growing isint more popular in Ireland. Ireland gets the worst of the worst weed wise and we have all the technology along with a light police presence. Maybe its the lack of experience. Anyone got any ideas?

I know lots of people that grow it. I imagine none of the teenagers grow it because they live with Mammy and Daddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

there are ways to recognise when its sand in the ganja
    read up on the web and get educated before you put plants or drugs into your body

bluelight.ru

erowid.org

yahooka.com

drug ignorance is one thing that really gets under my skin :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

there are ways to recognise when its sand in the ganja
    read up on the web and get educated before you put plants or drugs into your body

bluelight.ru

erowid.org

yahooka.com

drug ignorance is one thing that really gets under my skin :(

when you spend 10 or so years of your life putting wham bars and stinger bars into your body, it really doesn't make much difference what you do after that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement