Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contaminated Cannabis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

shane86 wrote:
    Cocaine and heroin are also derived every bit as much from "plants put here naturally by the grace of God". Doesnt mean we should make gear available down the pub does it.

You mean make it MORE available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

sjones wrote:
    I know lots of people that grow it. I imagine none of the teenagers grow it because they live with Mammy and Daddy.

I'm wasnt saying that no body grows it. What I was saying was that I'm surprised that more people dont. For the amount of cannabis that Ireland consumes(which is a decent amount I recall reading that we were in the top 5 in europe) it seems a disproportionate amount of people dont grow.

I'm talking about people who easily have the means and money(about a thousand euro) to put together a decent grow room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

drug ignorance is one thing that really gets under my skin :(

I agree with NL on this. Have just seen this thread now, is it really something that should be encouraged? These threads have been closed before iirc. Cannabis is not a safe drug, and it is illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

ntlbell, i really dont understand your wham bar comment, was it supposed to be some sort of metaphor about prolonged drug use?

all i am saying is that if you are going to take chemicals or smoke plants etc, is that you should get educated on exactly what youre putting into your body before you do it

if you do so then you will learn moderation and the risks associated with it - you will also find out what good things come from drug use and what bad things come with it.

boards has never historically been a good place to speak about this due to a narrow minded attitude on this issue amongst the majority of members here so i will leave you will the links in my last message and get my coat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

ChRoMe wrote:
    I'm wasnt saying that no body grows it. What I was saying was that I'm surprised that more people dont. For the amount of cannabis that Ireland consumes(which is a decent amount I recall reading that we were in the top 5 in europe) it seems a disproportionate amount of people dont grow.

I'm talking about people who easily have the means and money(about a thousand euro) to put together a decent grow room.
    Id say the vast amount of people in the largest catchment age range for cannabis use dont have their own homes, and if they do they live in apartments which they dont own and/or dont have the space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

InFront wrote:
    I agree with NL on this. Have just seen this thread now, is it really something that should be encouraged? These threads have been closed before iirc. Cannabis is not a safe drug, and it is illegal.

We allow people to discuss drugs etc so long as people aren't stupid enough to start discussing how and where to get said drugs and start 'recruiting' people or discuss preparation etc. Apart from that, discussions are fine. Pretty much, once people use a bit of common sense it's fine but usually some idiot will come along and get these threads locked. Usually.

From a personal point of view, it's a bit silly to talk about it being a safe/unsafe drug. Most of what I put into my body isn't 'safe', that doesn't necessarily make it bad though. There are acceptable levels of risk for me and so long as I'm not directly affecting others it's my business as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

InFront wrote:
    Doing, buying and selling drugs is illegal, talking about them isn't.
    CiaranC wrote:
    Id say the vast amount of people in the largest catchment age range for cannabis use dont have their own homes, and if they do they live in apartments which they dont own and/or dont have the space.

Aye, and then there'd also be quite a number of people who'd be worried about being caught, facing prosecution etc. It may be an unrealistic worry, considering very few will actually be caught, but some people are just paranoid like that.

Personally I don't grow it because I haven't had the cash spare to set it up properly and also, seeing as I'm living in the parents home, I wouldn't want to stink the house out with weed or jack up the electricity bill even further. Perhaps when I've my own place or am at least renting, I may sort something out, but for now I've no plans to.

ntlbell, i really dont understand your wham bar comment, was it supposed to be some sort of metaphor about prolonged drug use?

all i am saying is that if you are going to take chemicals or smoke plants etc, is that you should get educated on exactly what youre putting into your body before you do it

if you do so then you will learn moderation and the risks associated with it - you will also find out what good things come from drug use and what bad things come with it.

boards has never historically been a good place to speak about this due to a narrow minded attitude on this issue amongst the majority of members here so i will leave you will the links in my last message and get my coat :)

Maybe you're too young too remember wham bars.

Wham Bar

nesf wrote:
    We allow people to discuss drugs etc so long as people aren't stupid enough to start discussing how and where to get said drugs and start 'recruiting' people or discuss preparation etc. Apart from that, discussions are fine.

This thread is about drug usage as far as I can see, people talking about what they use and one poster even expressing his opinions on how ecstasy can be a safe drug.
    Also, you do not know what people are saying in PMs. From reading through this thread once I now have an idea of who uses what drugs. Rb_ie probably lives close enough to me in south dublin, what's to stop me approaching him? Is this a service you want boards to be providing?

The thread on Magic mushrooms was locked as soon as they became illegal in this country, furthermore threads on a so-called "drought", a topic that has come up here, have also been locked in the past.
    I know this is a privately owned website, and there is moderator discretion of course, but isn't it a bit unreasonable to be having this conversations like this?
    I'm not too worried either, I haven't been smoking for ages. The main reason being that it's virtually impossible for me to get my paws on anything where I live! There is what seems to be a never ending drought going on......

I miss stonage
    Yeah I've heard some places are experiencing a drought, haven't had a problem myself but apparently its been a particularly bad one.
    My only issue is with E. Have, and will in the futre, gotten/get madoutofit a fair few times

People are blatantly discussing their drug abuse here, how is this okay?

From a personal point of view, it's a bit silly to talk about it being a safe/unsafe drug.

It is absolutely not. It is not a matter of opinion, no matter what you think about it personally. Cannabis is not a safe drug. No medical study ever published worth its weight in printing paper has said otherwise. It is also illegal.

Can i start a thread here about types of prescriptive anaesthetics that I think are reasonably safe for me to use without getting them legally? Of course not. There is an assumption that cannabis is okay because it is safe and everybody uses it.
    Everybody does not use it, it is not a safe drug.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thedavidphelan

The previous two comments have really annoyed me.The ignorance in the comments makes me angry against our status quo and not these people who made the comments.
    Aniways one said i should know what I am putting into my body. I know exactly what I am putting into my body (Delta 9 tetra hyra cannibol) i know alot more about it then you or any goverment minister knows i know everything scientific there is to know about it so far. None of which i learnt or would learn of a forums website.
    The other said we shouldnt be talking about it and its not a harmless drug. First of all regardless of legality or harm its very important to talk about it taboos are not constructive or helpful.
    Secondly lots of people claim cancer is a result of using cannabis.YOU DONT HAVE TO SMOKE IT! Many people eat it and when you do that there are no negative physical health effects there are however negative mental effects for many who are depressed or otherwise mentally ill but it does not cause negative mental effects unless you overuse or abuse it. As with many legal substances or activies abuse is the problem not the occasional use.
    Anyways we need to talk about this subject a forced ignorance will never work. Dont look here for info look at encyclopedias and scientific journals other objective sources.Discuss here
    Use is not abuse

InFront wrote:
    it is not a safe drug.
    You are of course entitled to formulate your own opinions.

I happen to believe, as do many others, that low to moderate recreational use of cannabis is an acceptable risk.

Can you give an example of a substance you consider 'safe' for comparison?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

InFront wrote:
    This thread is about drug usage as far as I can see, people talking about what they use and one poster even expressing his opinions on how ecstasy can be a safe drug.
    He's entitled to his opinion
    From reading through this thread once I now have an idea of who uses what drugs. Rb_ie probably lives close enough to me in south dublin, what's to stop me approaching him? Is this a service you want boards to be providing?
    Approaching him for what? Are you implying rb_ie is a drug dealer? Where does he live, anyway?
    isn't it a bit unreasonable to be having this conversations like this?
    People are blatantly discussing their drug abuse here, how is this okay?
    Face reality. People take drugs. There is nothing wrong with a mature discussion on the subject.
    It is absolutely not. It is not a matter of opinion, no matter what you think about it personally. Cannabis is not a safe drug. No medical study ever published worth its weight in printing paper has said otherwise.
    I'd seriously doubt that.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=medical+marijuana&btnG=Search

I'm not going to trawl through those 26,000 scholarly articles on medical marijuana but I'd bet my life that an awful lot of them would prove you wrong.
    Everybody does not use it, it is not a safe drug.

Sweeping statements like "drugs are bad" do not contribute anything to this discussion and they do not contribute to a better understanding of drugs in society. No one in their right mind thinks cannabis is 100% safe, but the same goes for alcohol, coffee and Big Macs. Demonising the drug does not help anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Demonising the drug may not help anything, but neither does promotion of it.

Everyone here is entitled to their opinion on drugs, but only to a certain extent.
    overactive promotion of any illegally obtained substance will see a thread locked.

This thread is about a contaminated batch of weed. Like it or not, people do smoke it and this thread may be helpful to those who do, in so far as making people aware of the dangers of smoking contaminated weed.

FWIW I'm not dealing drugs via pm, an Smod is welcome to check that if they feel the need.

There is no such thing as an entirely safe drug Ciaran, but that is why we have bodies like the IMB who regulate over the counter pharmaceuticals and POMs in this country. Saying that Cannabis is not a safe drug is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact. If you are saying that cannabis is safe, you are completely incorrect.

It is also illegal.

You must also take into account that the people who support drug trafficking through purchasing them support an illegal crime that is run by the same gangland criminals that we tut-tut at when we read the papers. The guys who shoot men like Marlo Hyland, who was shot dead in Finglas last month are the guys who supply your cannabis, you are keeping them in their postion. This is not all about "you".

There is a smoking forum on this site which is one of the fora that is only available through request. Why is that discussion kept reserved, and talk of smoking cannabis (as well as consuming other drugs) are had out in the open for everyone to see, and to note who does what?

So again, is it okay for me to start a thread in AH pontificating on what anaesthetic drugs that I (as an unqualified 21 year old) believe would be "pretty safe" for people to use and that I happen to use fairly regularly, and that I acquire illegally?
    What then is to stop some 16 year old who lives in Sandyford from approaching me and asking me to get him Nitrous Oxide, most of you will know it from your dentist's clinic? It’s easy to get, easy to use, relatively harmless imo. Can I start the thread?
    I'd seriously doubt that.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl...na&btnG=Search

I'm not going to trawl through those 26,000 scholarly articles on medical marijuana but I'd bet my life that an awful lot of them would prove you wrong.

You are the one who is completely wrong. It is medical fact, cannabis has negative health repercussions. Prove me wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

"drugs are bad"

mmkay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

InFront wrote:

You are the one who is completely wrong. It is medical fact, cannabis has negative health repercussions. Prove me wrong.

As mentioned so does eating mac donalds, drinking coke and consuming alcohol. Anything is unhealthy for you if you abuse it, a women died in America a few days ago after drinking a lot of water.

InFront, you make a good point, but you are pissing into the wind here.
    Take it to feedback if it bothers you that much.

As mentioned so does eating mac donalds, drinking coke and consuming alcohol. Anything is unhealthy for you if you abuse it, a women died in America a few days ago after drinking a lot of water.
    that's still no reason to legalise other drugs.

InFront wrote:
    It is also illegal.

You must also take into account that the people who support drug trafficking through purchasing them support an illegal crime that is run by the same gangland criminals that we tut-tut at when we read the papers. The guys who shoot men like Marlo Hyland, who was shot dead in Finglas last month are the guys who supply your cannabis, you are keeping them in their postion.
    You could also say that the criminalisation of cannabis by the government keeps them in their position.
    There is a smoking forum on this site which is one of the fora that is only available through request. Why is that discussion kept reserved, and talk of smoking cannabis (as well as consuming other drugs) are had out in the open for everyone to see, and to note who does what?
    Why don't you request access and find out? The smoking forum's charter explicity forbids ANY discussion of illegal drugs, so it is a lot less liberal on the matter than AH.
    No one said it doesn't have negative health repercussions, but it is widely accepted that it has many positive ones too. About 3 seconds work on Google:
    * "The accumulated data indicate a potential therapeutic value for cannabinoid drugs, particularly for symptoms such as pain relief, control of nausea and vomiting, and appetite stimulation." and "At this point there are no convincing data to support the concern that medical marijuana would lead to an increase in recreational use. The existing data are consistent with the idea that this would not be a problem if the medical use of marijuana were as closely regulated as other medications with abuse potential."

InFront, you are entitled to your opinions. No offense, but I think your views on cannabis are poorly informed. "Safe" and "unsafe" is a very black and white way of dealing with the issue. I would argue that people who actually use cannabis and who have bothered to read up on it have a more balanced and accurate knowledge of its benefits and dangers than your average joe soap with a one track mind.

• Advertisement

InFront, we're not glorifying the drug, we're just discussing it, its market (to an extent) and the effect that the contamination of the supply may have.

We're not encouraging its use, we're not informing where to get it nor are we offering to supply it (and, I might add, if anyone PM's me looking for any I'll be reporting it to the admins). We may admit to having used the drug, along with other drugs, but we're not glorifying it in any way nor are we talking about the effects the drugs had on us while under its influence. We're just talking about the drug itself and whats going on with it at the moment, thats all.

Its a harmless discussion. The smoking forum is there to give the smokers a break from the health parade breaking into fits of "Smoking iz bad cuz uz can get cancer" all over the threads regarding smoking in the public forums, not to hide it or anything.

In Front wrote:
    There is no such thing as an entirely safe drug Ciaran, but that is why we have bodies like the IMB who regulate over the counter pharmaceuticals and POMs in this country. Saying that Cannabis is not a safe drug is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact. If you are saying that cannabis is safe, you are completely incorrect.
    I am certainly not saying that Cannabis is safe. I am saying that the risks involved are acceptable to me.

Caffeine has been shown to cause cancer, yet I drink coffee. Alcohol/Ethanol has been shown to cause dozens of ill health effects, yet I drink wine & beer.
    You must also take into account that the people who support drug trafficking through purchasing them support an illegal crime that is run by the same gangland criminals that we tut-tut at when we read the papers. The guys who shoot men like Marlo Hyland, who was shot dead in Finglas last month are the guys who supply your cannabis, you are keeping them in their postion. This is not all about "you".
    A method of obtaining Cannabis without invloving career criminals has already been mentioned in this thread. There are several others.

Id like nothing more than to discuss and inform people about these methods, but unfortunately I cannot for very obvious reasons.

Prohibitionists like Julep there keep the legal status quo (which punishes these methods more strongly than buying from murderers in place and provides them their market) and seem happy to do so.

Prohibitionists like Julep there keep the legal status quo (which punishes these methods more strongly than buying from murderers in place and provides them their market) and seem happy to do so.

and you seem quite happy buying it from these murderers.
    or something.
    i have no idea where you were going with that last sentence, but the phohibitionist comment made me smile.

If someone is unwilling to face the realities of cannabis, that is an invidual choice. But people should be aware that this is not the same drug that your parents smoked 30 years ago in college, and also that new evidence is emerging in relation to neuroses. Schizophrenia is a disorder that almost every neurological textbook in print on this Earth will associate with cannabis. The distinction between "soft" and "hard" drugs is, at best, artificial, especially with such a damaging psycho-active substance as modern-day cannabis. Even some advocates of cannabis as a "soft" drug are now re-considering as they observe the devastating health consequences of abuse.

Ask any neurologist, or even walk into your local A and E and ask a registrar, they will tell you categorically that they are seeing referrals of patients with cannabis-related problems.

I really think some of the comments in this thread are at best dismissive and at worst completely uneducated about what cannabis does to the body. Read up on it yourselves, or ask your GP, and then make your decisions.

Cornbb you left this bit out in the paper you quote from.
    The chronic effects of marijuana are of greater concern for medical use and fall into two categories: the effects of chronic smoking, and the effects of THC. Marijuana smoking is associated with abnormalities of cells lining the human respiratory tract. Marijuana smoke, like tobacco smoke, is associated with increased risk of cancer, lung damage, and poor pregnancy outcomes. Although cellular, genetic, and human studies all suggest that marijuana smoke is an important risk factor for the development of respiratory cancer,

This doesn't even touch on pscyhiatric problems, which is up for cannabis users to read about themselves. That is all I really want to say on this. The facts are there, go and get them.

InFront wrote:

It is also illegal.

These are all very good points for the argument of legalising or at least de-criminalising such a drug.

I'm glad you're open minded enough to support such a movement well done.

Mars bars can have negative repercussions.

Coffee can have negative repercussions.

Mc Donald’s can have negative repercussions.

Alcohol can have negative repercussions.

Nicotine can have negative repercussions.

The fact that cannabis can also have negative repercussions is not enough.

You're talking about substance abuse there is a huge difference in the use of cannabis and the abuse of it.

I can't recall a study showing any death's with the cause of the death directly connected with the use of cannabis.

How many deaths in this country alone were directly related to eating unhealthy foods, smoking and drinking?

Should we be dictating these people’s lives and making the choices for them?

Should we start sending them to prison?

It all comes back to an acceptable level of risk you or I as an adult (if you're an adult) that you deem acceptable in your own life.

Do you think someone who is overweight smokes 40 smokes a day and drinks 30/40 pints a week is taking an acceptable level of risk?

Do you think as adults that if they choose to live their life this way they should be allowed to make these choices for themselves and live with consequences and we can as the working public will pay for them also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

There has been an on-going drought of hash in Ireland since last ~April/May.

For a start, there wasn't much about, then a shipment of what became known as 'gack' came into the country. This gack lacked oil and smelled shocking when burned.

This was roughly about the same time the was in the Lebanon flared up - some said the lack of hash in the country was due to this. (Olaf Tyransen mentioned this on 'The Last Word' one evening).

There was bits and bobs of pollen around all last Summer (ranging from absolute 0% potency to mild-strength pollen) but this was going for outrageous prices.

This gack was floating about up until, maybe, August '06, though it was still coming in in bursts. It was very hard to find and selling for roughly €100-120 an ounce.

Throughout the summer, there was also bursts of poor quality weed about, but weed was getting more and more expensive and scarcer.

So, by mid September '2006 there was a nice bit of weed in the country. It was still of poor enough quality.

Then late September this "White Widow" starting floating about. It was very expensive (€400 - €450 an ounce!) but it was reliatively good (best smoke around all summer... bar my week in Holland). It was selling for such a high price because there was nothing else about and it was the best smoke around. (From what I was told about it, there was no major profit being made by the dealers around, they were paying through the teeth for it too. So I'd say it was being bought for cheap enough abroad, being brought in by a small group of people (who probably knew what was done to it) but knew it could sell for such a high price.)

It looked very good though, very reflective and was literally selling like hot cakes at practically €15 a gramme. But I was very sceptical of it. When you handled it, you'd have to be careful where you put your hands soon after (if it was anywhere near your mouth or nose, you'd be sore).
    If the residue from this weed got near your nasal passage or mouth, your mouth or nose would be ripped to sh_t and you'd be chewing on grit for like an hour and a half.

After smoking this for the best part of a month or two, I didn't really make the connection between my mouth ulcers and ripped nose and the weed (I was very careful where I put my hands after the first few weeks of handling it). I developed a flu and started coughing up enormous amounts of pure white phlegm and my throat was in general shocking form.

Late November / early December it wasn't around for a few weeks - flu and cough went. There was other poor quality green about. The "White Widow" came back then about two weeks before Christmas. Got a small bag for myself for the Christmas period when the WW came back, but noticed my cough came back and I started coughing up the same colour phlegm and the roof of my mouth and tongue was ripped to sh_t.

Thats when I made the connection with the White Widow and my ill-health. I came to the conclusion that it was sprayed with something. Started telling all my mates, they were like "What are you on about? - how is it sprayed? - Whats it sprayed with like?".

Oh my joy when I was flicking through the Guardian last week while eating the dinner and spotted that there was contaminated weed around the UK and Ireland that had the exact same characteristics as this "White Widow". Some shocking revelation!. But after telling a load of people about it, some heard it all over the radio, in newspapers and on the News, people are still paying through the teeth for this ****e, and still smoking it. Dealers are still buying whatever, ounces and kilos for shocking prices knowing that it's been sprayed with the same reflective substance added to paint used for road markings.

I went off the doobage after Christmas (primarily because all we're smoking here in Ireland is absolute ****e). Still off it.

There's small amounts of this white widow floating around, (i heard there was genuine, old-skool hash about) but there's loads of 'gack' and poor quality pollen around.

No one here has denied that cannabis has ill-effects, including psychiatric ones. InFront, can't you just be a good sport and admit that maybe cannabis has some positive aspects? After that, its pretty much a matter of personal opinion as to whether the negative aspects outweigh the good. But just saying that it is simply "bad" or "devastating" or outright "not safe" is simply wrong.

julep wrote:
    and you seem quite happy buying it from these murderers.
    or something.
    i have no idea where you were going with that last sentence, but the phohibitionist comment made me smile.
    Im glad to be of service.

My prohibitionist comment was following the logic that if you prohibit anything at all for which there is a large demand you put it into the hands of criminals. It has nothing to do with the prohibited article itself. This seems like simple common sense to me.

Unfortunately, I cant comment on your contention that I buy Cannabis from murderers due to the law in this country, but Im sure it helps your anti-cannabis agenda to believe that everyone who uses it is a sociopath with no morals.
    If someone is unwilling to face the realities of cannabis, that is an invidual choice. But people should be aware that this is not the same drug that your parents smoked 30 years ago in college, and also that new evidence is emerging in relation to neuroses.
    This is interesting, can you point to a comparative study between cannabis 30 years ago and cannabis today?
    Schizophrenia is a disorder that almost every neurological textbook in print on this Earth will associate with cannabis. The distinction between "soft" and "hard" drugs is, at best, artificial, especially with such a damaging psycho-active substance as modern-day cannabis. Even some advocates of cannabis as a "soft" drug are now re-considering as they observe the devastating health consequences of abuse.

Ask any neurologist, or even walk into your local A and E and ask a registrar, they will tell you categorically that they are seeing referrals of patients with cannabis-related problems.

I really think some of the comments in this thread are at best dismissive and at worst completely uneducated about what cannabis does to the body. Read up on it yourselves, or ask your GP, and then make your decisions.
    Again, you make reference to 'abuse' and the paper you quote refers to 'chronic usage'. I would contend that the huge majority of cannabis users come nowhere near this level of usage.

Replace the word 'cannabis' with 'sugar' and you would also see huge health issues emerge.

I agree that certain individuals have a pre-disposition to the ill-effects of cannabis use. Again, this is the same as other supposedly more benign substances.

Also, I would agree that cannabis use in the formative years can cause big problems.

Can we please maintain some sort of status quo here. Its unfair to have Infront pointing out the negative effects of cannabis, while we (the users) have to sit here and keep our mouths shut about exactly why we use the drug. If we were to start discussing that, we'd be seen as encouraging its use which is something we're not allowed do. Can we keep this thread so that people are neither encouraging nor discouraging the use of cannabis?Possibly?

Btw Infront, you made a point earlier about by talking about our drug use on a public forum, we're letting people know who does what. Truth be told, theres only one user on Boards who'll be shocked by finding out that I'm a regular cannabis user and I doubt very much that its going to bring about a dramatic change in that persons opinion of me as it is. The rest of the people, sure the majority don't know me personally so it shouldn't have much of an effect on them anyway, those who do know me...well, it may be a bit of a surprise to some :)

Anyway, lets try and keep this thread in a middle ground. I don't want to have to start going on about how cannabis can make life easier for those suffering from polio, MS and other conditions that make the small things in life difficult. I don't want to encourage people to do the drug, but I don't want to just sit here and let one person actively discourage its use.

conZ wrote:
    If the residue from this weed got near your nasal passage or mouth, your mouth or nose would be ripped to sh_t and you'd be chewing on grit for like an hour and a half.

Holy sh*t dude! :eek:

There's a case to support decriminalisation, taxation and regulation if I ever heard one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

whoever was wondering why people dont grow their own in Ireland, yes it's for the above reasons, but primarily because there's so much weed in a plant that if you got caught with even one you'd be in serious trouble. In ireland, any conviction where more than 10,000 in drugs is involved leads to a mandatory ten year sentence, and usually the price appraisal is done by a guard, so i dont think people are willing to take the risks. realistically speaking though, there are people who grow it in remotely placed sheds with generators attached to them.A guy i knew grew 2 or 3 plants on his roof last summer, it was that dark Afghan strain that gets ya destroyed, it grows anywhere apparently. They're even a little bit strict about growing in the netherlands, you can grow 5 plants for personal use, but apparrently you can't use lights or watering systems to grow it, or they take it very seriously. Anyway, all this conversation will be academic for me in September, i'm going on a college erasmus to Amsterdam for all of next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Lads, can we have a debate about the topic, and not a debate about a debate about cannabis please?

This thread is about contaminated cannabis. I've already stated that anyone is free to create another thread about cannabis, and whatever aspects of it you wish to discuss which do not break the Charter. Several of my moderator colleagues have stated what can and cannot be discussed about the drug, so I'm assuming that everyone knows how to conduct themselves at this point.
    So please, stay on topic and stop discussing the merits of cannabis in this thread. Thank you. :)

sjones wrote:
    So please, stay on topic and stop discussing the merits of cannabis in this thread. Thank you. :)

I'll assume that extends to not discussing the possible negative effects of it too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

rb_ie wrote:
    I'll assume that extends to not discussing the possible negative effects of it too?

Exactly. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Goddamnit. Would love to try defend Cannabis right about now. But i'll be good and stick to the "Topic" :rolleyes:

Anywho. I think it's an absolute disgrace about this contamination of glass, sand and grit at the moment. The cannabis in circulation in Ireland is bad anyway (unless you're lucky enough to get homegrown ;) ) but this is ridiculous. As some people have mentioned this is most definitely a call for the regulation of Cannabis.

I really hope it doesn't continue. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ah FFS, thought this was the old tyres-in-the-soapbar story again....this is a lot more bloody worrying...

*get's passed a spliff*

What are we talking about again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 An0nym0us

InFront;

Cannabis causes schizophrenia - false
    Research between the use of cannabis and mental illness has also brought significant results. Cannabis use is generally higher among sufferers of schizophrenia, but the causality between the two has not been established
    source:# ^ Cécile Henquet, Lydia Krabbendam, Janneke Spauwen, Charles Kaplan, Roselind Lieb, Hans-Ulrich Wittchen and Jim van Os (2004). "Prospective cohort study of cannabis use, predisposition for psychosis, and psychotic symptoms in young people". British Medical Journal 330 (11).
    # ^ G C Patton, Carolyn Coffey, J B Carlin, Louisa Degenhardt, Micheal Lynskey and Wayne Hall (2005). "Cannabis use and mental health in young people: cohort study". British Medical Journal 325 (1195).

correlation is not causation! This is one of the most misunderstood arguments against cannabis. Cannabis does not cause Schizophrenia, a high number of schizophrenia patients smoke cannabis. That's like saying a high number of blacks smoke cannabis, so if you smoke Cannabis there's a good chance you'll become black..when in reality it could be anything like a high number of schizo. patients smoking to ease their condition.

---
    I only consume cannabis orally, so there there are practically no medical risks for me. If you'd like to post some I'd love to show you how you're wrong.

Cannabis was made illegal due to racism when Mexicans were coming over the boarder in the US around 1912~ back then 1 puff would supposedly instantly turn you into an insane murderer. It's all propaganda, there's nothing wrong with marijuana.

You're wrong. If you want to start a thread about this somewhere outside AH such as Medicine, I'll debate it within the rules no problem. I think the debate has ended in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

I found a puppy in mine once. Not really, that was a lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

either way, if you start sneezing blood, cut down for a while:D

InFront wrote:
    You're wrong. If you want to start a thread about this somewhere outside AH such as Medicine, I'll debate it within the rules no problem. I think the debate has ended in this thread.
    I don't think a debate will be allowed anywhere on Boards for the time being, as for a debate to be a fair debate, you have to allow both sides to air their argument. However, as it stands only one side of the cannabis debate can be discussed, as people arguing the positive sides of cannabis will be seen to be encouraging its use, a big no no as it stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 An0nym0us

I don't know how to PM you but head over here.

<snip>

Since the board admin here apparently doesnt allow any kind of drug discussion.

Edit:
    Please don't link to sites that discuss things prohibited on here like safe dosage levels etc.

-nesf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

conZ wrote:
    There has been an on-going drought of hash in Ireland since last ~April/May.

For a start, there wasn't much about, then a shipment of what became known as 'gack' came into the country. This gack lacked oil and smelled shocking when burned.

That would be the glut of soapbar that arrived in this country. This stuff is one of the most evil works of mankind ever. You are literally smoking anything from spent oil, to plastic to ****. It is produced in bulk in the u.k. and ocasionally spiced up with ketamine to give on that "stoned" feeing.

This weed people atm is not worth smoking, it is a european wide problem with reports from denmark to italy. Some batches have been found to have had a lot of fibre glass residue on them. It seems like it is getting done at source due to the sheer quantity of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

infront wrote:
    Again and again, nothing is "safe" for you. Cannabis is not "safe", it's just not so dangerous that it should be considered an illegal drug. I don't think you've shown any valid reason for the prohabition of Cannabis. It obvious to me that legalising it would be less harmful (not "safe" or nessesarily better) to society at large.

I don't want to live in a plastic bubble I'm willing to take the risk that at some stage down the line cannabis might contribute to a slightly earlier onset on a condition I'll probably have to face anyway. At least I had fun, I don't see the big wop about living till I'm 120 so I'd like to enjoy my life now while I'm young.

ScumLord wrote:
    Again and again, nothing is "safe" for you. Cannabis is not "safe", it's just not so dangerous that it should be considered an illegal drug. I don't think you've shown any valid reason for the prohabition of Cannabis. It obvious to me that legalising it would be less harmful (not "safe" or nessesarily better) to society at large.

I don't want to live in a plastic bubble I'm willing to take the risk that at some stage down the line cannabis might contribute to a slightly earlier onset on a condition I'll probably have to face anyway. At least I had fun, I don't see the big wop about living till I'm 120 so I'd like to enjoy my life now while I'm young.
    this arguement about legalising cannabis because other thing that are legal are also bad for you is completely ridiculous.
    mammy, billy has a chocolate bar. i want one too, but not the same one he has. it's not fair. waaaah.

if you are going to argue for the legalisation of cannabis, then at least come up with a half decent arguement. just not in this thread.

• Advertisement

this arguement about legalising cannabis because other thing that are legal are also bad for you is completely ridiculous.
    It's not really but I was of topic so I'll leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

right, not too sure if this has been mentioned, but hers another decent source on the subject.
    http://forum.breakbeat.co.uk/tm.asp?m=1968808095&mpage=1&key=

look, weither it should be legalized or not the one thing to remember is that people should not be running the risk of being seriously ill from their choice in life.

just like homebrew, awareness is the key. So do tell and advise people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

griffdaddy wrote:
    whoever was wondering why people dont grow their own in Ireland, yes it's for the above reasons, but primarily because there's so much weed in a plant that if you got caught with even one you'd be in serious trouble. In ireland, any conviction where more than 10,000 in drugs is involved leads to a mandatory ten year sentence, and usually the price appraisal is done by a guard, so i dont think people are willing to take the risks. realistically speaking though, there are people who grow it in remotely placed sheds with generators attached to them.A guy i knew grew 2 or 3 plants on his roof last summer, it was that dark Afghan strain that gets ya destroyed, it grows anywhere apparently. They're even a little bit strict about growing in the netherlands, you can grow 5 plants for personal use, but apparrently you can't use lights or watering systems to grow it, or they take it very seriously. Anyway, all this conversation will be academic for me in September, i'm going on a college erasmus to Amsterdam for all of next year!

The 10 year sentence is seldom if ever passed down. Although its meant to be mandatory judges are given discretion not to use it, and most dont. If they did we would end up with a worse incarceration rate than the US most likely. John Gilligans appeal was based on his claim (most probably correct) that he was sentenced to 25 years for a crime he wasnt convicted of (murdering Guerin) rather than hash importing. After all, the Dunnes, Tony Felloni, Thomas Mullen and several other big time heroin dealers all got sentences of around 12-18 years. Gilligan was primarily a hash dealer. His drug operation resulted in relatively little crime down the line than the heroin dealers mentioned (i.e. unlike the customers of Felloni etc Gilligans generally werent robbing to fund their habit) yet he got a heavier sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭mfitz

Well since someone already posted a link i might aswell post an irish one :phttp://killerdope.ie a non profit website thats goal is to teach irish smokers about these contaminations and hopfuly get them to stop buying it and grow there own! its not spam if someone posted a english one and i posted back a irish one is it ? :p

That's a good link we're terrible for buying pure muck and we won't stop Irish people just don't care what they buy or what they buy. That's why the government needs to step in and regulate it.

SN, I'm not at all against InFronts arguements if we had our way we'd go head long into legalisation without thinking you need to listen to the opposing arguement. Most anit-reform people won't even discuss the subject with you. I've had a spliff though, so I'm very tolerant right now. Peace Ya'll :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement