Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is he taking me for a ride.

Options
  • 16-01-2007 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭

Roughly 1 week ago I had a minor accident due to my neglegance, the car I damaged was a Volkswagon Polo circa 98.

The damage to the car was nothing major, bent wishbone and a damaged front wing panel.

What estimation would you put on the damager for full repair?

What's really annoyed me is, he just went ahead and had the work done without providing me with a quote of any sort, I got a quote after the work was completed, when i requested a quote/reciept from the garage I was offered a written receipt by himself (lol)

Now I did admit liability but no Gardai were called and neither of our insurance companies have been informed of the incident, i signed nothing and all we have is a verbal agreement.

I have every intention of paying for the damage I was responsible for but what I fear is that he had extra work done while the car was in the Garage and now i'm being billed for it :)

The reason I say the above is that he admitted to me himself that the car was due for NCT and was in need of a service!

Two questions, what estimation would you put on the repair work.

And in relation to how he conducted the repairs without my consent, where do i stand in relation to this.

I'll give you the quote I recieved once i see a few estimates.

Thanks,

Samba

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Well a brand new polo wing wouldnt set you back more than 100 euro. Paint and materials plus labour another 150 max. New wishbone, no more than 180 euro all in being very genrous. It is after all a polo.

My advice. Ask him for a garage receipt for the work done or else your not paying. Offer the guy a couple of hundred euro or tell him to get lost. Even though you were in the wrong he is not in a position of power because he never informed the gardai or his insurance company and the car is now repaired so no evidence of the original damage unless he took some pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

brand new parts out of somora cost 120 about 150 max for paint and fitting of wing and 100 max for fitting wishbone he should of given you the opition of getting your own quote and giving you his before getting work done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I was quoted a nice round figure of 800 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

i would ask for a fully detailed invoice breaking down the cost of each item thats crazy are u in dublin

Oh yeah...rip off county...

I'm in now way knowledgable when it comes to cars but being a poker player I often know when people are lying and from one phone call I had with him I knew he was lying through his teeth...which is why i'm posting here for confirmation.

I'll be requesting a detailed invoice of all work carried out.

Thanks a million guys...it's funny on the day he told to me, "don't worry you won't be ripped off" and said it would be no more than 500.....

The cheek of some people..... as soon as i heard 800 I knew he through his service on the bill....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

that was not a reasonable way to treat you in this situation. Also sounds like you're being had, but as cpoh1 said nobody can prove you were involved in the accident now as no Garda was called (major error on the claiments part there. ALWAYS call a Garda).

So, as suggested - I would point out the following in calm and polite terms - 1). You feel that he was not reasonable by getting the work done without ginving you the opportunity to get your own quote or to at least agree to the quote he had received, 2). That the price he is quoting does not match with your own assessment of the damage done, 3). That you'd like to see a detailed receipt of the work done on headed notepaper from the garage concerned so you can send it to your insurance companay and your solicitor (bluff) and 4). that unless this can be settled to your satisfaction (ie: by you paying him amount X of your choosing) that you will have to discuss the matter with the Gardai and your solicitor since you are under the clear impression that you are being ripped off. In fact you know it.

During this conversation it would be wise to allude to the fact that he has no proof you were involved, and you could in fact quite easily just do nothing and ignore him.

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Tear it up put it in the bin and forget about it ! He is obviously a chancer
    who does not deserve any settlement for his actions . If he still comes back report him and the accident to the Gardai and state that you may have admitted liability under duress and pressure from him and that you felt physically threatned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

Samba wrote:
    I was quoted a nice round figure of 800 Euro.

Had someone reverse into the side of my car - 99 megane. They only tapped it, yet the door has to be replaced, quote was 1500.

Thats what things cost.

comanche wrote:
    Had someone reverse into the side of my car - 99 megane. They only tapped it, yet the door has to be replaced, quote was 1500.

Thats what things cost.

Que?

What you say might be relevant if I had damaged the door, that however is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

comanche wrote:

Thats what things cost.

Doors are a different kettle of fish altogether, much more complex part than a wing panel.

Give the guy a ring and be striaght with him. Ask him for the real price of the repairs and *if* its reasonable pay up. If he refuses to play ball tell him to get in contact with his insurance company and let them sort it out. There's not much he can do now the damage is repaired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

cpoh1 wrote:
    Doors are a different kettle of fish altogether, much more complex part than a wing panel.

Give the guy a ring and be striaght with him. Ask him for the real price of the repairs and *if* its reasonable pay up. If he refuses to play ball tell him to get in contact with his insurance company and let them sort it out. There's not much he can do now the damage is repaired.

Good advise - if someone is acting the mick get insurance involved. Usually sorts them out. You can always offer to settle with your insurance co rather than get a claim against you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭DrChoda

Don't pay a thing without a copy of the receipt from the garage that did the work. Would also take that info to another garage and get a quote for the same work to be done.
    It might not be the guy trying to rip you off, who knows, it could be the garage where he got the work done? Maybe he said the person that caused the damage was footing the bill and the garage is taking advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Bear in mind that if you go the insurance route you probably have an excess to pay, probably somewhere between the first €250 to €400 of the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

€800 sounds quite reasonable to me in fairness.....bodywork repairs cost savage money. My old car needed a new front bumper and I got quotes ranging from €800 to €1,600.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

If he's had the work done at a dealers, the labour could be anything up to €120 an hour. That and other minor parts add up quite quickly. Put it through your insurance, and then settle with your own insurance company - won't affect your NCB that way.

Advertisement