Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It f******* passed!!!!

Options
  • 16-01-2007 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

I don't believe it. The phone checker says my line is passing. So, I called eircom and they confirmed it. I'm completely lost for words.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I don't believe it. The phone checker says my line is passing. So, I called eircom and they confirmed it. I'm completely lost for words.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well done, mate. Sign up now before it fails again :)

It might have something to do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I ordered the BB 2 MB HMPLUS TT Anytime from eircom. I hope it works out. I'm about 3.3 miles from the exchange as the crow flies so, the line is probably 4 miles. I entered a few numbers of people living near me and they all come up as fail. I think mine is passing because the line was once an ISDN line. Six years ago when I ordered ISDN the eircom guy said he needed to string a new one from the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Oops, forgot to mention this when I was told about it on Friday. Wimax must be just around the corner so.

At a meeting with eircom last year, just before they were taken over, Pierre Danon committed to fixing the crappy line test and to make it easier for people to get passes on their lines. Think he is holding to his word?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Fixed Wimax. Mobile Wimax seems to be still a pipe dream.
    Still anyone failing DSL will be happy to get ANY reliable wireless under 50 Euro. It doesn't matter to most of them who sells it or which technology it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Just checked my line after getting a mail from Ireland Offline about the situation. I have isdn now and it is finally showing up as passing. Rang up to order 2mb line. They have to downgrade it to pstn line first, hope it works. There is a chance it wont work.:eek:

Rags wrote:
    Just checked my line after getting a mail from Ireland Offline about the situation. I have isdn now and it is finally showing up as passing. Rang up to order 2mb line. They have to downgrade it to pstn line first, hope it works. There is a chance it wont work.:eek:

As far as I know, if you have your ISDN downgraded to PSTN there is no chance that you will fail.

2 caveats
    1. Unless I'm wrong
    2. Unless you get pairgained after being downgraded :)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

There is no guarantee that if you do downgrade from ISDN that you will pass. If you are too far from the exchange you'll still fail.............

M.

I sure hope so, I'll post again when they have it done. Knowing my luck something will go wrong:p

But,how far is too far on a downgraded ISDN line?

• Advertisement

maybe 5km? As wire goes, not as sober crow flies
    A bit more if they reduce speed to 256k or use ADSL2+ or VDSL etc.

Hmm your getting me worried I am over 5km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Well I'll be damned.... It looks like the limit has been extended by 12 or 13 dB (about 1km)... My line is now passing subject to confirmation... The nearest neighbour further up the road still fails. Still, at a high attenuation, the line may sync at little more than the minimum.

I'm already with Digiweb FWA 1Mb, though it is a stunning coincidence that the day the line sort-of-passed was the day that our digiweb FWA contract expired...

It's taken nearly 4 years (Jan/Feb 2003) since my exchange was enabled for eircom to adknowledge the feasibility of lines like mine.

I'm amazed at the result... I'll probably stick with Digiweb though:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Mr_Man wrote:
    There is no guarantee that if you do downgrade from ISDN that you will pass. If you are too far from the exchange you'll still fail.............

Why would this be? If the ISDN line passes, why would it fail when ISDN is removed? It's the same line at the end of the day.
    damien.m wrote:
    At a meeting with eircom last year, just before they were taken over, Pierre Danon committed to fixing the crappy line test and to make it easier for people to get passes on their lines. Think he is holding to his word?

Looks like it. Another thing he said was that he was planning to threaten the fixed line people in Eircom with WiMax unless they got moving on sorting out line issues. Looks like he's doing that too....

ISDN does not use the line the same way as DSL. In Germany you don't have to remove ISDN. They have a different version of DSL for ISDN lines. A much better option for small office as the two ISDN channels can have 12 numbers and fax/voice/data detection is automatic on PC card.

ISDN is about 180k inc its over head each way, DSL is 3M / 256 using higher frequencies. So while a line that fails ISDN won't work for DSL, A line that worked for ISDN may not support DSL at all or more than 256k

The line checker passes the ISDN line, hence it will work when it's "downgraded". The workings of ISDN or ADSL is irrelevant. The line checker has checked the attenuation of the line, all is good.

Do we know what the acceptable attenuation is now? Am I right in saying that, It's now down to the SNR level( which they don't know until the line is synced) and a downgraded ISDN line should be guaranteed to pass? Also, should I have gone for the 2Mb package (it was only five euro more). I know i'll be lucky if I even get 1Mb, but will 2Mb lower the SNR level?

Somebody posted an estimated new attenuation threshold in the last couple of days, perhaps in the similar thread over on the broadband forum.

SNR is whatever the SNR is on your line. It incidentally varies so if you're close to the limit, your speeds will vary also. Normally the modem will synch at the highest it can at that point in time and then as you use the line and get CRC errors the speed will drop over time. It's possible that the modem will overdo this, so if you were on a package with a speed that's close to what your line can handle then you might get better performance overall as the modem doesn't need to adjust the speed. You just have to see. If your only passed since the latest threshold changes, I would think you'd be lucky to see a stable 1Mbps.

Do we know what the acceptable attenuation is now? Am I right in saying that, It's now down to the SNR level( which they don't know until the line is synced) and a downgraded ISDN line should be guaranteed to pass? Also, should I have gone for the 2Mb package (it was only five euro more). I know i'll be lucky if I even get 1Mb, but will 2Mb lower the SNR level?
    It's 78 to 80 dB. My line is now on a conditional pass and I was told from eircom that the reading from my line was 78dB. Our neighbour 100m further up the road fails the test still.

Spongebob mentioned in another post on the broadband forum that the line distance limit was about 6.7 km which would translate into 80dB.

On another note, does one have to order with eircom to get the engineer visit or is it possible to sign up with any company to get DSL? In any case I'd imagine only a 1 Mbit package will be available to the people who recently passed.

Hey just an update to say eircom came today and downgraded the line and now I finally typing to you from a BROADBAND CONNECTION. Thought I would never get it. Went for the 2mb connection (better dl limit) and am getting around 1mb to 1280 when i tested it earlier but I'm happy enough with it, its a huge jump up from what I had. I am around 6km from the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Nice one Rags any chance you can find out what attenuation your line has? If your line can't support 2Mb then you may be better off just going for the 1Mb connection it might actually save you some hassle later on as your modem/router tries to sync at 2Mb and fails.

Well it says Line Attenuation 53/30 dB, so what exactly does it mean. Is it good or bad?

Rags wrote:
    Well it says Line Attenuation 53/30 dB, so what exactly does it mean. Is it good or bad?
    Wow! those number's can't be right at 6km, can they? Would a downgraded ISDN line make that much difference?:eek:

53dB should have passed the line test a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Rags wrote:

Where did you get this figure and how was it measured?

Don't you divide the attenuation by 13.5 to get the line distance? Which would make Rags line 3.9km from the exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Blaster99 wrote:
    53dB should have passed the line test a long time ago.
    Yep my Attun is 51db and I've had BB for 4 years now; I wonder how many people could get BB but for that stupid test "fail"-ing them. I would presume that the figure comes from the router that's where I get mine from - 2 different routers give me pretty much the same figure so seems accurate enough.

Don't you divide the attenuation by 13.5 to get the line distance? Which would make Rags line 3.9km from the exchange
    It's 12 dB per km according to eircom's calculations. My source is some eircom SEC filing or other and it's been confirmed through what I've been told by eircom.

The connection stopped working at around 1pm yesterday and hasnt been working since. The dsl light on router is flashing. The engineer now thinks it may have to be downgraded that we were just a border case.

But I dont understand how it could be working perfectly non stop for over 12hours and then just stop working. I think it could be the modem, he gave us one of his that he had in the van until the new one gets sent to us in the post. When he first tested the line he had 2 modems in the van. The first one light was flashing and he said that was a very bad sign. Then it was ok with the other modem. Its all very confusing, have you guys any idea what could be wrong?

• Advertisement

The distance to my exchange is I think around 5km, well thats what the sign says outside my house. I THINK the exchange is in the center of the town.

Advertisement