Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA payments while studying as a mature student

Options
  • 16-01-2007 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi all,

Just looking for some guidance from someone who has gone down this route!

I need some help understanding how this whole thing works. I intend on applying for a degree course in TCD this year as a mature student.

I am signed on to recieve social welfare benefits as of yesterday - 15/01/07

From what I can gather, the BTEA (Back to Education Allowance) means that if you have been signing on and recieving payments for 12 months before you commence education, you will continue to recieve payments throughout the duration of the course. The course I am looking at will start in October.

There is a stipulation in the rules for the BTEA which states

"You may qualify for BTEA for an approved third level course of education if you are getting an unemployment payment for 9 months (234 days). This is provided you are a participant in the National Employment Action Plan (NEAP) process and the third level course you intend pursuing is recommended by a FÁS Employment Officer as part of your NEAP process."

So obviously, the 12 month options seems to be out the window (I did sign on for payments during part of 2006, but stopped to take up a few months work before Christmas - I'm assuming that the 12 months needs to be consistent, but if anyone knows any different?), so I am interested in the 9 month rule. Does anyone know what it means to be a participant in the NEAP? For example, if I continued signing on for the next 6 months, and then entered a FAS course for 3 months - would this then entitle me to the BTEA payments come October?

Or does it need to be something I enlist in now, and stay enlisted in for 9 months?

Any help or guidance from anyone who has experience or knowledge in this area is welcome.

edit - please feel free to move if this forum is inappropriate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Given the time frame, you should contact them. The details are on their website.

Advertisement