Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B.Ed-Higher Level Irish C3 Entry Requirement

Options
  • 16-01-2007 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just a small bit concerned, I'm thinking of putting Primary Teaching as my 1st 4 choices on the CAO but my Irish isn't exactly the greatest. My Irish teacher told me you need a really high standard of Irish and at the moment I'd be getting about a C2 in Irish. Although it's the requirement would it actually be tough for me once I got to college? I'm putting Mary I number 1. I'd like to here from people applying and people up there at the moment. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ok, I was going to apply, but I dont have the honours Irish so i left it out. If its what you really want to do, you might aswell go for it. Maybe even just try and push up that mark ever so slightly, up to even a C1. Im sure there are many others in the same situation, so Id say give it a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

In fairness you're going to have to teach Irish should you become a primary teacher, so I'd expect you'd ahve a reasonable level of fluency in Irish when you graduate. Will it be tough? Well how good are you at learning languages?

I doubt you'd have to study much Irish literature, however.
    I don't know anything about this degree though, I'm just presuming things...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

If you do an First Arts Irish in a university, it satisfies the entry requirements for a Postgraduate Diploma in Primary Teaching, if that's any help. If you push yourself a C3 is very attainable, I should think though.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Yeah I'm getting the C3 requirement but I'm just worried that it'd be a lot tougher Irish once I get up there points pending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

In Mary I doing the B.Ed (2nd year)

In first year along with studying all the education subjects, you have to do three Arts subjects..Irish is compulsory so therefore you have to pick two others (eg: History, Geography, French, German, Theology, Philosophy, English, Maths)
    Then when you go into second year you drop any two of the three Arts subjects you did in first year (Irish can be dropped) and you do your chosen subject till the end of 3rd year.

As for the Irish content in first year..(seems so long ago:)!)
    You have tutorials twice a week.
    You have to study literature and poetry and other areas which have have gone from my head at this moment..
    You have an exam which contains the above sentence and an essay, translations and grammer.
    You have to do an oral at the end of first year.
    You also have to go the gaeltacht in the summer at the end of first yr.

Then in second yr if you drop the arts Irish you have to do gaeilge gairmuil..all grammer basically.

Naturally in every semester on top of that you also have múineadh na gaeilge: ie: the teaching of irish in primary school

• Advertisement

Fast_Mover wrote:
    In Mary I doing the B.Ed (2nd year)

In first year along with studying all the education subjects, you have to do three Arts subjects..Irish is compulsory so therefore you have to pick two others (eg: History, Geography, French, German, Theology, Philosophy, English, Maths)
    Then when you go into second year you drop any two of the three Arts subjects you did in first year (Irish can be dropped) and you do your chosen subject till the end of 3rd year.

As for the Irish content in first year..(seems so long ago:)!)
    You have tutorials twice a week.
    You have to study literature and poetry and other areas which have have gone from my head at this moment..
    You have an exam which contains the above sentence and an essay, translations and grammer.
    You have to do an oral at the end of first year.
    You also have to go the gaeltacht in the summer at the end of first yr.

Then in second yr if you drop the arts Irish you have to do gaeilge gairmuil..all grammer basically.

Naturally in every semester on top of that you also have múineadh na gaeilge: ie: the teaching of irish in primary school

Thanks, is the Irish difficult up there in 1st year or would it be in line with LC standards? Also is the teaching of Irish difficult? Do you know anybody up there who would have barely got the C and if so how are they coping with the Irish up there?
    Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

It harder than LC.
    In lectures they just speak irish 24/7 so u dnt have a clue what going on.

Dnt know anyone who got the C im afraid.

If i can get thru it anyone can though..sur I didn't go to any of my lectures, no point like when i duno what they're saying..my irish not the greatest by any means..and im still here :D..

The lectures of muineadh na gaeilge are grand out..the lecturers really nice..they're given in all irish aswell but its not complicated shite like the arts irish lectures give..

Oh ok, so if I get through 1st year arts Irish hopefully I'll be ok! :)

Advertisement