Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTU Failed???

Options
  • 16-01-2007 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

im having a big problem at the moment connecting to xbox live because while i get an IP address and DNS, the MTU fails and i havent a clue why

I connect through my college apartment broadband and its been working fine all year but only a few days ago it stopped working. Is this something to do with them, or is there something I can do to fix it?

thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

please no text speak :)

forget about the xbox for a second and check with a computer, can you ping anything? do you having a working net connection when testing with PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

yes d net is working

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

And i net , how is i net ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I have this issue when I plug my xbox into my router. It works fine if I connect direct to the modem. I have no idea what causes it. Xbox uses MTU as a kind of catch all, it probably has nothing to do with your MTU.

it may mean " MTU Path Discovery" which is affected by firewalls. Your router probably has a firewall which blocks MTU path discovery requests where your modem may not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Sponge Bob wrote:
    it may mean " MTU Path Discovery" which is affected by firewalls. Your router probably has a firewall which blocks MTU path discovery requests where your modem may not.

No, I've tried port forwarding, DMZ and a load of other things. It seems to be a problem with the Xbox and the Linksys wrt54gp2. I have found may other people saying they can't get it to work and am yet to see a solution.

a longer article about it, txt spkrs shd ggl fr MTU pth discvry as always :p

Advertisement