Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom relax their DSL test again, more passes

Options
  • 16-01-2007 8:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single7629
    has announced that it has extended the reach of broadband availability to cover customers already connected to broadband-enabled exchanges but whose line test previously failed due to the distance from the exchange.

Its about 6.7km now. Third increase in a year I makes it ...if not the fourth.

Bet nobody told their call centre about this though
    t was now taking all orders placed within the five main urban areas of Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Galway and urged customers in these areas whose lines failed broadband tests to get them re-tested

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

**** sake! Even more contention on these crappy copper lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

After six years of waiting it finally passed!!!!! I ordered the BB 2 MB HMPLUS TT Anytime from eircom. I hope it works out. I'm about 3.3 miles from the exchange as the crow flies so, the line is probably 4 miles. I entered a few numbers of people living near me and they all come up as fail. I think mine is passing because the line was once an ISDN line. Six years ago when I ordered ISDN the eircom guy said he needed to string a new one from the exchange.

I just wonder what speeds I'll really get being this far from the exchange.:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

1mbit or so, upgrading your package is free (but confirm with your chosen carrier) so start with 1mbit and then upgrade later if your DSL line stats indicate it can handle more than 1mbit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 morningstars

" Eircom relax their anus again, more passes"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Sponge Bob wrote:

They were informed last week along with the resellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

EVERYONE in the 5 major cities can now get €ircon or resellers BB then? Wow and it's only 2007:rolleyes:

damien.m wrote:
    They were informed last week along with the resellers.

Funny how the eircom website has not been ' told ' , its still refusing to pass a line I know of in Galway or even to accept the order pending remedials :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

No bleedin' use to me out in the stix. Crossing my fingers for 3 3g access.

I spoke with eircom today and was informed my order is due for completion on 30th of January. She said there was planned work to be done on the exchange. What would they need to do to the exchange? It's already DSL enabled.

• Advertisement

Of more importance to many is that you may now order a NEW line through their website and order BB with the new line as part of the order . This applies anywhere in Ireland not just the 5 main cities.

Therefore if the line will not support BB they will not install the new line because they know from the start that you want this NEW line for BB. It will therefore cost nothing if it will not support Broadband.

This is a much better situation for many who had to order ' a line ' first and then subject themselves to the usual will it/won't it pass lottery thereafter.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Therefore if the line will not support BB they will not install the new line because they know from the start that you want this NEW line for BB. It will therefore cost nothing if it will not support Broadband.

I rang eircom about this and they deny this is the case. They will install the line, then run the test, if the test fails then they'll add you to an "expression of interest" list to see can they offer you an alternative when the alternative (Wimax) arrives around autumn time.

But wimax is not available to put it simply. It will be a guaranteed fallback if yourline fails in the 5 big cities which is what Pierre told us last year. In rural areas it does not exist

My information is that the engineers precheck with the customer once they note that new line+bb combination is requested. If they cannot supply a unique pair the order may be cancelled by mutual agreement.

If they do supply a unique pair they check its not shorting and is a clean connection with decent SNR which means it will (about 99% sure) pass for BB .

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I have been having problems with my BB speeds since Nov 06', I have lost approx 30% of my bandwith\BB speed. Initially my DL speeds were around 99kbps but since Nov they have dropped to around 65kbps. Eircom tell me they cannot find anything wrong although I suspect that it may be due to contention as they have recently signed up a lot more ppl for BB in my area since they opened the new exchange(farmleigh) and I have an idea my line may be one of those shared or carrier type lines. I am on a 1MB conection and at one point I tried upping to a 2MB conection but my line was not able for it. One of the Eircom techies suggested I could order a new line as my line is pretty old, however I think he may have said this as he could not think of anything else to do. Would installing a new line necessiarly improve my speeds and maybe even alow me to get a 3MB connection or are there other issues that need to be taken into consideration. I am only about 2 klicks from the exchange.

you are not on any shared anything and a new line may improve matters , cost €129 to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I think the word you are looking for is "pairgain" prisoner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Sponge Bob wrote:
    But wimax is not available to put it simply. It will be a guaranteed fallback if yourline fails in the 5 big cities which is what Pierre told us last year. In rural areas it does not exist.

Is pricing info on their Wimax offering available yet?

E.

So basically Eircom lowers the requirements for a pass on a line and markets it as extending their broadband coverage.
    Expect more crappy connections...

E.

mayhem# wrote:
    So basically Eircom lowers the requirements for a pass on a line and markets it as extending their broadband coverage.

E.

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

mayhem# wrote:

E.
    Crappy connections won't make too much difference to you. Sure there'll be less contention if there are more disconnects? :p

It will be interesting to hear reports of the engineer-aided DSL connections. Anyone going for them, let us know here!

One other thing: I know that if the modem does not work, one has the option of sending the modem back or getting the engineer visit. If the line works, but at a speed that doesn't really make it worthwhile, like 128 kbps or suchlike, can I send the modem back anyway and say that I don't want the service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Crappy connections won't make too much difference to you. Sure there'll be less contention if there are more disconnects? :p

It will be interesting to hear reports of the engineer-aided DSL connections. Anyone going for them, let us know here!

One other thing: I know that if the modem does not work, one has the option of sending the modem back or getting the engineer visit. If the line works, but at a speed that doesn't really make it worthwhile, like 128 kbps or suchlike, can I send the modem back anyway and say that I don't want the service?
    Eircom guarantee a minimum of 256k so if your speed was only 128k and they couldn't make it reach at least the minimum, then yes, you could send it back.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Eircom guarantee a minimum of 256k so if your speed was only 128k and they couldn't make it reach at least the minimum, then yes, you could send it back.

I really, truly hope that you are joking.
    256-f*ckin-k?!
    And of course this will be presented to all and sundry as an great achievement by Eircon...

E.

mayhem# wrote:
    256-f*ckin-k?!
    And of course this will be presented to all and sundry as an great achievement by Eircon...

E.
    The sad thing is that a lot of us that have been stuck on dial-up will be happy to get 256k always on.

The sad thing is that a lot of us that have been stuck on dial-up will be happy to get 256k always on.

Go and do something about it! Get all of your neighbors together who care and protest outside the dail! Or as I said before,move to a city.

Go and do something about it! Get all of your neighbors together who care and protest outside the dail! Or as I said before,move to a city.

I feel your pain..
    ;-)
    I'm paying €299 a month at the moment for a 1 GB sat connection simply because there is no other option.
    However that doesn't take away from the fact that Eircom is lowering instead of raising the level of service and somehow manages to make this look like a good thing.
    Expect this information to be used in the Comreg's and the government's stats a lot..

E.

I have rallied my neighbors for better internet access. Why don't you do something as well "like protest outside the dail", because like it or not eircom's monopoly is hurting Ireland as a whole.

I have rallied my neighbors for better internet access. Why don't you do something as well "like protest outside the dail", because like it or not eircom's monopoly is hurting Ireland as a whole.

I tried! In the area I live people have "broadband" so they don't really see the point of improvment. I asked a lot of people (Approximately 120-150) last year and all (bar one) refused to protest with me so I gave up on the idea :( .Apparently only the tech savvy crowd care...which is very sad.

mayhem# wrote:
    Is pricing info on their Wimax offering available yet?.

Yes and No.

mayhem# wrote:
    256-f*ckin-k?!.

I'd expect that will make a lot on crappy dialup happier but maybe not satisfied. Flatrate quad ISDN is better than dialup.

• Advertisement

damien.m wrote:
    Yes and No.

Does that mean that you have it but us mere mortals can't see it?
    ;-)

E.

Advertisement