Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom relax their DSL test again, more passes

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Therefore a person living 2 or 3 miles out and with ISDN today has a far better chance of getting DSL .

"WITH ISDN TODAY " means what it says, if your line if crap and you are 2 miles from the exchange then eircom will not give you isdn nowadays, therefore my comment applys to those who already have isdn .

Good luck trying to get ISDN in order that eircom clean up your line and unsplit it so that you can get DSL on it. They wised up to that one about 2 years back the feckers. It did work for a long time :p

Nowadays they only do it for business customers and many businesses are run from home are they not ?? <cough> ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Sponge Bob wrote:
    "WITH ISDN TODAY " Good luck trying to get ISDN in order that eircom clean up your line and unsplit it so that you can get DSL on it. They wised up to that one about 2 years back the feckers. It did work for a long time :p

Nowadays they only do it for business customers and many businesses are run from home are they not ?? <cough> ???

That sucks. So my neighbors are basically screwed. One of them is a farmer in his 70's. He bought a PC about a year ago to go on the web and get e-mails from his daughter in Canada. He asked me to set it up for him and I did but, god it was painful. His dial-up speed was atrocious. I might see if I can get him onto my network with an N router.There is a complete digital dived here in this contry. The government really needs do somthing I feel.

His dial-up speed was atrocious.
    His dial up speed was either 12k or 16.8k I'll wager. Thats what you get for paying the highest line rental on teh planet, mroe or less.
    There is a complete digital dived here in this contry. The government really needs do somthing I feel.

the government has needed to do something since around the .com crash in 2000 to sustain the international momentum the country then had in technology. and has generally failed to do so. Even as late as 2002 we were on the map, see this comment here

Then our competitors got broadband while Bertie put Dempsey in charge of matters. Personally I feel its too late , sad to say but true :(

This is very strange. I've been using the old black netopia router that a friend gave me for the last week. Eircom sent me a new silver netopia router, so I plug it in to see if it would make a difference. And it has, from my previous posts you can see that my line Attenuation is better as is my SN Margin. The CRC Errors have improved as well.I'm also getting rock solid speeds 1.70Mbps down, up load speed seems the same though at 118kbps. Is this possible? I thought they were the same box only one is silver. Do you think I should chance it and up my package to 3Mbps? Also I tried entering in my own router name and WPA key and it wouldn't work. It seems I have to use the one tied to the router.

DSL Statistics

DSL Statistics

Line State
    Up
    Modulation
    DMT
    Data Path
    Interleave
    Downstream
    Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)
    SN Margin (dB)
    Line Attenuation (dB)
    CRC Errors

Download:
    1,699,584 bps
    Upload:
    115,032 bps
    QOS:
    98%
    RTT:
    124 ms
    MaxPause:
    68 ms

Pinging www.boards.ie
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Success rate is 100 percent (4/4)
    round-trip min/avg/max = 10/17/20 msec

log into 192.168.1.254 with the username and password supplied by eircom and then expert mode or wireless > expert mode . you create a new wpa key in there.

your snr margin is now 10 , much better

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob, do you reckon I should change my eircom package to 3Mbps or am I pressing my luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

We did the ISDN thing a few years ago (home business, ahem) - dial-up was getting worse and worse - the install needed new cable, much disentangling from the trees and one new pole. Now, finally, we too are passing pre-qual with the relaxed tests, though I think we are well out at 7km or so.

So the question is - what is the procedure to go from ISDN to DSL? Has anyone here done it? Is there much pain and how hard would it be to go back again if we fail?

If the line deteriorates again while using DSL are they under any obligation to keep it in order as they seem to be for ISDN?

/Conor

It costs €25 extra for the engineer call out to remove isdn unit in the house but nowadays just order as normal and then they will set a date .

They do not have the same obligation so if your line regularly gets outages today then they will be of longer duration with dsl. ISDN at least guarantees repair priorities.

Advertisement