Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Highest number of miles clocked up on a single car?

Options
  • 16-01-2007 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭

What is the highest number of miles that you've clocked up on a single car. For the poll I'd like people to estimate how many miles they have personally driven in one car. Eg if you have a family car that you bought with 20,000 miles which now has 100,000 on it and you drive it about 50% of the time, your mileage is 40,000. If posters want to talk about total mileage that a car has gotten while in your ownership (in the above example 80,000) then that can be mentioned in the thread too.

I believe that you need to drive a car for a decent mileage before you can say whether it's good or bad from a reliability POV. If you only drive a car for 2k miles and have 1 breakdown in that time you're probably going to say the car is sh1t when in fact it may have gone another 100,000 without giving any more trouble. Likewise, a car cannot said to be "great" just because it went for 2k miles without giving any trouble.

Anyway my answer is 135k miles in my current Laguna. Nobody really drives the car but me and I bought it new. It has probably had about 40 or 50 miles total driving by mechanics, friends etc. I also have a Megane in which I have personally driven around 100,000 miles and others have clocked up about 30k in it

Most mileage clocked up in one car? 37 votes

<10,000 miles
    0% 0 votes
    10-24,999 miles
    8% 3 votes
    25-49,999 miles
    16% 6 votes
    50-99,999 miles
    10% 4 votes
    100-149,999 miles
    10% 4 votes
    150-199,999 miles
    29% 11 votes
    200-249,999 miles
    18% 7 votes
    250-299,999 miles
    2% 1 vote
    300,000 miles or more
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Dont do a huge amount of driving. Have clocked up about 25000km on my '91 Sera. So far, only the distributor has needed replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bought my current car brand new 4 years ago, it now has 120,000 miles on the clock. I'm the only one that drives it.

The only real hassel I had with it was the front headlights which fogged up on the inside constantly but these were replaced under warranty due to bad design.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Bought a 1990 Honda Accord 2.0i in 95 with 100,000 on it,was doing a lot of travelling for work at the time,there was almost 250,000 when I finished with it.

Apart from regular service the only repairs needed were: the starter had to be rewound and the radiator replaced. Didn't use a drop of oil/plugs used to look perfect.

Also was my first car with Air Con,very rare for an 'Irish' car at the time,95 was a scorcher of a summer

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Ford Mondeo.

Has done 180 from new.

So far has needed:

Radiator (10k)
    Starter (10k)
    Battery (60k)
    Headlamp lenses (120k)
    Fuel pump seal (150k)
    Stopper solenoid (150k)
    Water pump (160k)
    Accelerator cable (165k)

It has needed LOTS of suspension bushings and links throughout its life, but the shocks/springs/wishbones are all original... although now are in need of replacement.

It still consumes no oil, and starts as it should.

Focus

15k, now on 75k, nothing to report. Fingers crossed.

Avensis

90k, 2002, driven by parents.

Resprayed doors (rust)
    Severe rust and water leak under rear tailgate (pending issue)
    New shocks (85k)
    Seatbelt tensioner (20k)
    DMF (60k)
    Clutch (60k)
    Clutch (80k)
    Gearbox linkages (60k)
    Battery (80k)

... the car is looked after very well and driven like it should be. Rubbish yoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bought a 1990 Honda Accord 2.0i in 95 with 100,000 on it,was doing a lot of travelling for work at the time,there was almost 250,000 when I finished with it.

Apart from regular service the only repairs needed were: the starter had to be rewound and the radiator replaced. Didn't use a drop of oil/plugs used to look perfect.

Also was my first car with Air Con,very rare for an 'Irish' car at the time,95 was a scorcher of a summer

Great car the Accord, had a 1994 Accord 2.0i LS as a company car a good few years ago. It had 100,000 miles on the clock when it went back (due to the company winding down) but all it had done was the regular servicing and a timing belt change. I miss that car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

About 30k miles / 50k kilometers max

Very rare on a '90 car! Bet you were delighted with yourself that summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Looks like CrowdedHouse is the winner so far. Id imagine it is quite unusual in Ireland for someone to buy a car that already has 100k on it and then add a further 150k without major drama. The 2nd owner was probably sympathetic and the car well maintained without necessarily being cosseted.

edit: maidhc may actually be the winner depending on how much of that 180k he drove! Anyway I did say originally that the thread was not just about personal mileage but about "family" mileage too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

I've put up 74,530 on a 1.4 renault megane saloon

And also put up approximately 114,350 on a Ford Granada which i got with 64,200 approx on it.

Already catching up on that with my current Granada which has 155,000 ish on it now and had almost exactly 134,000 on it when i got it in july.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

A mate of mine who is a taxi driver just changed his 99 Diesel Skoda Octavia, bought from new which had (I sh1t you not) 340,000 miles on it!! It never broke down once in all that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

BrianD3 wrote:

edit: maidhc may actually be the winner depending on how much of that 180k he drove! Anyway I did say originally that the thread was not just about personal mileage but about "family" mileage too :)

I bought the car from my parents with 60k on the clock. My sister is now the custodian. It has however been parked in the same drive all its life!

(I should add the Mondeo never broke down, just listed the non service interval bits which are not the originals...)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

110,000 in about 3 yrs - Vectra, can't remember any problems tbh, serviced it every 6000-7000 miles. (2dti) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

I have a 1994 Opel Vectra 1.7TD with 237,000 miles on it, bought it 6 years ago with 163,000 miles. Outside of normal service items, I've had to get the alternator fixed after I burnt it out driving thru a flood and I burst a thermostat housing gasket by pulling an overloaded trailer and overheating the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

i dont think anybody is going to beat this guy :D:Dhttp://tinyurl.com/2rtv8f

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭WildWater

Bought my 93 corolla in 95 with 40,000 it now has 211,000 and counting. Of the 170,000 I estimate I did 160,000. Wheel bearing done to get it through NCT thats about it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

http://tinyurl.com/2rtv8f

Assuming 60's volvo's werent fitted with 7 figure odometres, how do they verify he's done 2.5 million miles? I'm sure he really did do it but whats to stop a determind glory hunter clocking his car upwards a good few thousand miles just before each service and having it recorded?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

greglo23 wrote:
    i dont think anybody is going to beat this guy :D:D

Yes, Gregorio beat him fair and square. He clocked up 4.5 million kms on his Mercedes-Benz 240D. It is now in the MB museum though and Irv is still driving, so he might win yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I traded ex-taxi once with 540k miles on it and it was still going strong, I sold it on and it was still going 2 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

20000 miles so far in 4 months. 113k on the clock, September 04 landcruiser - still going strong but only giving about 25mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Bought a '95 Civic DX (ie 1.3) in '99 with 50k miles on the clock, sold to my brother in law with 70k. Now has 185k. Had 2 CV joints and a radiator in all that time (and both could have been prevented).

A taxi driver friend bought a Camry new in 1992. Finally sold it last year with 340k miles on the clock, but needing quite a bit of work, none too serious (tho the timing belt broke (non-interference engine) at about 300k).

(Yes, I know, I can't lay claim to either)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

unkel wrote:
    Yes, Gregorio beat him fair and square. He clocked up 4.5 million kms on his Mercedes-Benz 240D. It is now in the MB museum though and Irv is still driving, so he might win yet...

The Volvo is still on it's original engine but the Merc...

http://www.mbusa.com/heritage/history/news/taxi.do

"Mr. Sachinidis bought his car in Germany in 1981 with 220,000 km on the clock, before driving it back to Thessalonica, where it entered 24-hour cab duty until July 2004. During those 23 years, the owner rotated two spare engines in with the car's original motor a total of 11 times. "

• Advertisement
Advertisement