Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT down?

Options
  • 16-01-2007 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

Cant connect to BT broadband at the moment in the Bray area. Is anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Ludo wrote:
    Cant connect to BT broadband at the moment in the Bray area. Is anyone else having this problem?

BTs DNS servers are borked it would seem - I reconfigured using eircom and OpenDNS :

Still slow enough as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I can connect thru work (via tunnel [like i am now]) but not directly.

Wasn't sure that was possible, maybe a browser issue?

(Limerick area)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Was having probs... Reset ASDL line from modem & it seems fine now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Yep, DNS down here too.... Lucan area.

Using my 3G card instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

It's being giving me trouble for a few days now. Reseting the router generally fixes it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

quarryman wrote:
    I can connect thru work (via tunnel [like i am now]) but not directly.

Wasn't sure that was possible, maybe a browser issue?

(Limerick area)

Well... nslookups using BT assigned servers failed for me. I could connect to websites using their ip address (could only remember one! ). A change to OpenDNS servers allowed nslookups to work. So unlikely to be a browser issue.

parsi wrote:
    Well... nslookups using BT assigned servers failed for me. I could connect to websites using their ip address (could only remember one! ). A change to OpenDNS servers allowed nslookups to work. So unlikely to be a browser issue.

any idea how i do that? had look in the modem options but nothing about 'OpenDNS' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Aye parsi, the DNS servers well and truely borked. All BT customers that I know of in Galway county were down aswell. Disconnect from the mains for 10-15 seconds and reconnect is the handiest way to get it back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

quarryman wrote:
    any idea how i do that? had look in the modem options but nothing about 'OpenDNS' etc.

www.opendns.com

The site has instructions about how to do it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Plasmoid

BT are in for a real **** storm tomorrow as more and more dns caches start expiring.

Open DNS is your friend, always good practice to have a few spare DNS servers in your list.

Fortunitly for me i had a friend i could talk to on vent, otherwise i would be failing my project due for tomorrow. Way to go BT!

• Advertisement

nesf wrote:
    www.opendns.com

legend, that worked nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Resorted back to dial up tonight - BT driving me mad . Its like a kid turning the lights on and off annoyingly.- and you pay for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

nesf wrote:
    www.opendns.com

You are a complete and utter gentleman.

Thought I was stuck with dial up until tomorrow...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Up and down here for the last few days in Dublin 24. Had a fair idea it was the DNS as was able to find sites via IP but not name. What happened the DNS servers in BT does anyone know? Thanks for the Open DNS link above nesf..nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Great stuff...OpenDNS set up and back on track. BT has been ****e for a few weeks now...hopefully this will sort the issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭surveys

nesf wrote:
    www.opendns.com

I had a look at their site. Is there any advantage to changing to their DNS ? I mean permanently. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

You are a complete and utter gentleman.

Thought I was stuck with dial up until tomorrow...:(

Thanks for the info too!! my connection is back to 856kbps . Forgive my ignorance but could someone explain how this works ? Is the connection still with BT but speeded up by open DNS ? This must be one of the best URL's ever put on Boards!!!

surveys wrote:
    I had a look at their site. Is there any advantage to changing to their DNS ? I mean permanently. ?

I personally would avoid doing that. Their system is nice for stuff like this but has nowhere near the amount of redundancy that DNS has. If their system goes tits up higher up the ladder yer screwed. There is no decentralised heirarchy like DNS.

Ordinary DNS is proven and works, despite Esats cockup. Why reinvent the wheel and line the pockets of the OpenDNS crowd?

dak wrote:
    Thanks for the info too!! my connection is back to 856kbps . Forgive my ignorance but could someone explain how this works ? Is the connection still with BT but speeded up by open DNS ? This must be one of the best URL's ever put on Boards!!!

Your internet connection was in most ways fine. What is wrong is the DNS servers that esat provide are borked. Which means when you type in google.com your computer can't get an ip address for it.

Speed should be no different with or without Open DNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Was down for me in Navan also.In saying that this is the first time in 3 months that it has crashed on me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 houseinthesun

What a nightmare, this has been happening to me quite a lot recently. I'm fairly new to the whole wireless broadband route, I was thinking it had something to do with my set-up.
    What can we do about it, "Always On" my a**e, and there is no point in contacting BT customer service.......doesn't exist.
    I'm in the Shannon region.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Navan here and my speed has dropped from my nice steady fully utilised 3mbps service to erratic ISDN speeds, whether http'ing, torrenting, youtube'ing, ftp'ing or anything else online.

I've been using opendns (tried them as a backup for my ISP DNS and visa versa, but both the same) for the last few days too, but only cos I'd heard others were having problems, not because I was. The slowdowns have only been since then so I'm not sure what the story is.

The only thing I can think is that BT are throttling me for going over the cap, but it's never happened before (a new years resolution at BT maybe?) so I don't know what to think.

I just tried a bit of a ping to boards and it's not looking too clever either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

I became a BT customer yesterday, had Irish Broadband (Breeze) for the last year and they had so many problems that I decided I could no longer deal with them. Yesterday my connection to BT was on and off which was very annoying.

Can any long term customers of BT tell me if this is a permanent problem with BT or just a recent issue that will hopefully be resolved soon?

Its kind of ironic that IBB gave me no trouble over the last couple of months...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Linford wrote:
    I became a BT customer yesterday, had Irish Broadband (Breeze) for the last year and they had so many problems that I decided I could no longer deal with them. Yesterday my connection to BT was on and off which was very annoying.

Can any long term customers of BT tell me if this is a permanent problem with BT or just a recent issue that will hopefully be resolved soon?

Its kind of ironic that IBB gave me no trouble over the last couple of months...

I have had BT for 9 months now and this is the first time the service has been "down". It has been a bit erratic over the last few weeks with ping spikes and connections lost. I was very happy with it until recently. Hopefully it is just a blip and they will resolve the issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Ludo wrote:
    I have had BT for 9 months now and this is the first time the service has been "down". It has been a bit erratic over the last few weeks with ping spikes and connections lost. I was very happy with it until recently. Hopefully it is just a blip and they will resolve the issues.

Thanks for that Ludo

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

last night was the first time in about 1.5 years for me that BT was down for more than an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭Talisman

Here are some additional DNS addresses for future reference.

AT&T (US)

AT&T Business (US)

Bell Atlantic (US)

Earthlink (US)

Eircom (IE)

Exa Networks (UK)

Internet Solutions (ZA)

Mindspring (US)

Nildram (UK)

Nildram (US)

NTL (UK)

PSI.net (US)

Smart Telecom (IE)

Talk-Talk (UK)

Telewest Business (UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i have a setting on my router to allow the use of my ISP DNS as a backup for static entries, and turning this off so I am only using opendns and nothing else has fixed my problems for everything except torrents for some reason. :(

web pages and ftp are both fine again and running at full tilt, but for some reason my torrents are still all running at dialup speeds despite being well seeded and green lit. bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

I'm with BT about 10 mths now and last night was my first time being down.

Hopefully its not gonna continue - unlike their billing problems. 5th bill came in December and I was overcharged again!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

vibe666 wrote:
    i have a setting on my router to allow the use of my ISP DNS as a backup for static entries, and turning this off so I am only using opendns and nothing else has fixed my problems for everything except torrents for some reason. :(

web pages and ftp are both fine again and running at full tilt, but for some reason my torrents are still all running at dialup speeds despite being well seeded and green lit. bugger.
    Maybe you should call them up and ask "BUT WHAT ABOUT MEH LINUX ISOs?11" ;)

Advertisement