Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT down?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

CuLT wrote:
    Maybe you should call them up and ask "BUT WHAT ABOUT MEH LINUX ISOs?11" ;)
    EXACTLY! I don't know what I'm going to do if I can't install the latest version of my favourite distribution. :)

seriously tho, anyone using opendns to get around the current DNS issues and still getting crappy torrent speeds?

speed tests are all showing me at full speed for http downloads, ftp is fine.

i've flushed my local dns cache, rebooted router and modem, only using opendns (which shouldn't affect torrents anyway as their IP based) I'm using nice high random ports which are happily open, my torrents are all well seeded and green lit and up until yesterday everything was barrelling along at full speed. :(

did i miss anything?

EDIT: Just the one thing. somehow Azureus had decided to throttle my downloads to 8k. :confused:

i haven't used the throttling feature since i got a router with decent QoS (a good 2-3 windows installations ago) i don't know how it happened, but it coincided with the other problems so I mistook it for a symptom of that. schoolboy error. :o

my linux distro's are barrelling along now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I've had my BT 3meg service go down twice (that I noticed) in th past week. But to be fair it's only be for short periods... Clonee area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Cremo wrote:
    last night was the first time in about 1.5 years for me that BT was down for more than an hour.

Ditto. Normally a rock solid service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

skywalker wrote:
    Ditto. Normally a rock solid service.

I agree also... A great service provided in my experience. I'll easily forgive the infrequent speed wooble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I have been with BT for 4 years and have had no problems at all with them - we got it and since then I've been using it non-stop; yes their billing sucks but their connection has been brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

vibe666 wrote:
    EXACTLY! I don't know what I'm going to do if I can't install the latest version of my favourite distribution. :)

seriously tho, anyone using opendns to get around the current DNS issues and still getting crappy torrent speeds?

speed tests are all showing me at full speed for http downloads, ftp is fine.

i've flushed my local dns cache, rebooted router and modem, only using opendns (which shouldn't affect torrents anyway as their IP based) I'm using nice high random ports which are happily open, my torrents are all well seeded and green lit and up until yesterday everything was barrelling along at full speed. :(

did i miss anything?

EDIT: Just the one thing. somehow Azureus had decided to throttle my downloads to 8k. :confused:

i haven't used the throttling feature since i got a router with decent QoS (a good 2-3 windows installations ago) i don't know how it happened, but it coincided with the other problems so I mistook it for a symptom of that. schoolboy error. :o

my linux distro's are barrelling along now. ;)

sorry just saw an explanation about this earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

nesf wrote:
    www.opendns.com

The site has instructions about how to do it. :)

Just changed over to them to test (BT-BB was down this morning)
    wow it is faster! I'll be holding on to those DNS setting for a while I think :)

Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Anyone have problems with connection today ? No DSL light this morning Portmarnock area !

• Registered Users Posts: 6 billybob97

I recently switched over to BT Briadband before Christmas. Last week my BB was down for nearly 3 hours in the Kerry area. This morning it was down for about 15 minutes and when I am connected I am getting speeds slower than ISDN!

I rang BT today and they told me that I have been online 24/7 for the past week which is not the case as my pc was switched off over thye weekend.

Has anyone else had these kind of problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

god's toy wrote:
    Just changed over to them to test (BT-BB was down this morning)
    wow it is faster! I'll be holding on to those DNS setting for a while I think :)

Thanks for the link.

You should, as people have pointed out above and in other threads, only use opendns as a backup DNS service for when BT's goes down. Otherwise I'd stick with BTs once it's back up working again, it is generally reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

billybob97 wrote:
    I recently switched over to BT Briadband before Christmas. Last week my BB was down for nearly 3 hours in the Kerry area. This morning it was down for about 15 minutes and when I am connected I am getting speeds slower than ISDN!

I rang BT today and they told me that I have been online 24/7 for the past week which is not the case as my pc was switched off over thye weekend.

Has anyone else had these kind of problems?

Your PC may have been off but was your router/modem left on? People forget to turn that off. (WIFI bandwidth robbers love it when people do that)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

god's toy wrote:
    Your PC may have been off but was your router/modem left on? People forget to turn that off. (WIFI bandwidth robbers love it when people do that)
    assuming someone is dumb enough to leave encryption off of course.

people will tell you that WEP & WPA are insecure and that people can still get on your network, but in truth it's not about being totally secure. in most cases it's more than enough to just be more secure than the least secure connection around you. ;)

as long as you take reasonable precautions anyone messing with wifi networks in your area will most likely go for the soft target.

that said, i lived in the centre of dublin next to a main road with a moderately well protected wireless setup (with logging enabled) and nobody even tried to connect to it, so i thinkthe chances of actually getting your wifi LAN hacked are probably fairly slim, unless of course you live next door to a 2600 member with time to burn. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Still problems this evening with BT! Even after changing DNS servers. Have they an outage somewhere and have cut the bandwidth way back so everyone could load up on the lines that work?? Im sooo frustrated here!! I work online in the evenings and no possibilty of that tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 billybob97

loup wrote:
    Still problems this evening with BT! Even after changing DNS servers. Have they an outage somewhere and have cut the bandwidth way back so everyone could load up on the lines that work?? Im sooo frustrated here!! I work online in the evenings and no possibilty of that tonight.

I am like Loup I work from home and thought I was doing the right thing by changing to BT but it is actually costing me money. I should have stayed with Eircom I was with them for years and even though their Support is crap at least you did not need it very often.

I am going to try to change back to Eircom even though I am supposed to be locked into a contract with BT for 12 Months. Has anyone else changed back and what hassles did they have with BT?

Advertisement