Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Towing capacity

Options
  • 16-01-2007 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

A local dealer claims that the towing capacity is 90% of the kerb weight of the towing vehicle but according to a well known trailer manufacturers website, only 50% of the towing vehicles weight applies, as follows:

This is an unbraked trailer and as such should be used with regard to the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) regulations 1986, which state that the towing vehicle must have a kerbside weight of at least twice the gross weight of the trailer. Therefore, for example, the maximum gross weight of 750kg will only apply if the kerbside weight of your towing vehicle as stated in the manufacturer's handbook is greater than 1500kg. If the kerbside weight is less than this figure, the maximum gross weight of the trailer must be reduced accordingly. The vehicle manufacturer may further restrict this figure by stating a maximum weight of unbraked trailer which may be towed, this must also be taken into account.

Any ideas as the rule of thumb for braking and the ability to tow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'd imagine that the owners handbook *should* have the correct figure in it. It would be unwise of manufacturers to state incorrect towing capacities in a written document.

Disregard what the local dealer tells you verbally anyway.

I have not heard of the 50% rule before but it sounds plausible. I have noticed some cars have an unbraked towing capacity of around 500-650 kg, I wondered before why they weren't allowed tow the full 750 kg, this would explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

The owners manual doesn't mention towing capacity at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There is no rule of thumb.

Every manufacturer specifies a max weight for breaked or unbraked trailers for the specific car.

For example my little fart of a 1150 kg Jimny can tow 1300 kg braked but only 350 kg unbraked !

According to your rule of thumb that would be 575 kg unbraked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Thats unusual, I would have thought that the owners manual would have it listed?

Have a look at the chassis plate (usually rivited somewhere around the engine bay) to see if towing capacity is listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What's the vehicle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

A Corsa 1.5 Diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Silvera wrote:
    I would have thought that the owners manual would have it listed?
    Regardless of the capabilities of the vehicle, it must comply with the regulations in the juristiction where it is being utilised. For example, Swedish truck tractor units (Scania and Volvo) are usually manufactured to pull 60 tonne trailers but in Ireland they are legally limited to much less (usually 40 tonnes).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yorky wrote:
    A Corsa 1.5 Diesel
    Bear in mind Yorky that you may be required to have a EB licence. If you have a provisional EB licence you are legally required to have a person with a full EB licence with you.

Advertisement