Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intruder alarm for older house

Options
  • 16-01-2007 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

thinking about a wireless or hybrid intruder alarm system for my parents' house. It's a 1950's 3-bed detatched, and has no wiring at all for an alarm, that's why I'm thinking wireless.

I have heard that the latest 868MHz systems are pretty good/reliable; plus they seem to be more user-friendly (remote-control fobs like a car alarm; pendant panic-alarm buttons; etc). Additionally, some seem to be USB-enabled which means that they ought to be easier to configure & debug, rather than having to rely on a single-line LCD display on a keypad. But it's the user-friendliness and proximity-tag or key-fob that we need.

What do people think of wireless systems ? The specs seem to suggest that the batteries in the sensors last about 12 months, which I guess is fine. Sensors aren't cheap though (40STG for a door/window magnetic sensor, compared to 3 quid for a normal one for a wired system :rolleyes: )

Considering the Homelink 75 from Cooper/Menvier (good brand in wired alarms) or the Visonic Powermax (I don't know the brand but it seems to get great reviews), or a Europlex system (Irish company but I doubt they sell to the general public)

http://www.diy-alarms.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_22_68 (Homelink 75)
    http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezstore123/CUProductReviewList.asp?productID=1164 (Visonic Powermax)
    http://www.europlex.ie/products_3GS.htm (Europlex)

Any ideas welcome !

Frank

PS. I'm pretty good with security stuff, so anyone that says "call a professional in" gets nil points :D I have a 4-cam CCTV system running from a PC and internet-enabled; have installed a Menvier TS690 wired alarm in my own house, pretty straightforward. What I'm not ofay with is running new cable: just would have no clue about how to do it neatly - s'why I'm thinking "wireless"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Have a good look around the house , it may be a lot easier than you think to run the wiring , will save looking after batteries etc. Only a matter of time before how to jam new wireless stuff filters down to yer average thief anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Looking at your 3 choices I think you need to do more research before you take the plunge.
    Visonic are probably one of the best brands out there for wireless.
    Europlex 3gs, now thats funny. These are usually installed in banks, government buildings etc.
    I suggest you look at the Europlex Signet. It's a hybrid panel and it uses visonic for the wireless side of things, very good panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Actually, I did mean the Europlex Signet (not the 3GS). It looks like great kit - as up-to-date as it could possibly be.

Interesting what you say about the Visonic - the American DIY market fall over themselves in giving it good praise.

Advertisement