Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduce Yourself

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭180567

Hello. To introduce myself.... I was born in St.Patricks Home on the Navan Road back in May of 1967. I guess I was there for about 10 months, as I later found a little record card issued for me which shows I was given my vacinations there up untill Feb of 1968. This little card is my only link with that part of my early life. It shows I was 6 lbs and 7 oz at birth and 14 lbs 4 oz at 6 months. I guess it was given to my adoptive parents when they came to collect me.

I was adopted through the St.Louise Adoption Society in 1968 and ended up with some really kind and loving adoptive parents. I've always been curious about my past, and am registered on the contact register. I would love to hear from anyone else who went through St.Patricks Home at around the time I was there. Although I don't know if I had any brothers or sisters, I kind of feel a link with any of the others who were there at that time.

I would love to be contacted by my birth mother or father or siblings. I think I would be unsure about starting to try and trace them myself as I would not want to cause them any upset. But if they came looking for me I would be very happy. I'd also love to get some of the non-personal information about my birth mother - area she came from or anything like that.

Seeing the recent movie "Philomena" reawakened my thoughts about my own past.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

180567 wrote: »
    Hello. To introduce myself.... I was born in St.Patricks Home on the Navan Road back in May of 1967. I guess I was there for about 10 months, as I later found a little record card issued for me which shows I was given my vacinations there up untill Feb of 1968. This little card is my only link with that part of my early life. It shows I was 6 lbs and 7 oz at birth and 14 lbs 4 oz at 6 months. I guess it was given to my adoptive parents when they came to collect me.

I was adopted through the St.Louise Adoption Society in 1968 and ended up with some really kind and loving adoptive parents. I've always been curious about my past, and am registered on the contact register. I would love to hear from anyone else who went through St.Patricks Home at around the time I was there. Although I don't know if I had any brothers or sisters, I kind of feel a link with any of the others who were there at that time.

I would love to be contacted by my birth mother or father or siblings. I think I would be unsure about starting to try and trace them myself as I would not want to cause them any upset. But if they came looking for me I would be very happy. I'd also love to get some of the non-personal information about my birth mother - area she came from or anything like that.

I was there in 1971 and feel the same as you. You'll have to contact the shambolic HSE in Blanch as they hold the records for St Louise's. You could be waiting for years before they get in touch. Seeing as you have some info such as your weight -- why not go to the CRO on werburgh street and try and find your birth cert - yes your real one is available!! PM me and I can send you on the adoption rights alliance tracing guides.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

180567- and Eamo71- we host, and hold full copyright, on the original Adoption Ireland Traceguides- located here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055543715

Unfortunately the GRO reading room moved to the old Dole office on Werburgh Street- a shame, after it had lovely facilities in the Irish Life Mall on Talbot Street. As you may be aware, we organised a protest against the move, and have made petitions to Minister Burton to have it reinstated in better facilities.

The_Conductor

• Registered Users Posts: 12 minnie10

Hi Kolpdny,

Do you know what age your sister would be now, or where her adoption took place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 partyanimal13

Hi My name Karl O' Kelly,

Back in 1964 I was born in st. patricks mothers and babies home in the navan road in dublin, My mothers name is Margaret Ryan she came from co. limerick and she had me when she was 21years of age which was on 17th May 1964. She named me Domhnaill. I am trying to locate her at the moment. Has anyone any advice for me.

I would also like to know if she had any other family members or if i have any brothers or sisters. I don't know who my father is also and would like to find out his name and about him.

I would like to know if there is any other people adopted in the year 1964 in st. patricks mother and babies home in the navan road. My details are email me at Karl1okelly@gmail.com.

As for st. Patricks, I remember a woman with dark hair down to her shoulders and i remember another lady in white it could of being a nurse or one of the sisters in the home and the third person I don't remember what he/she looked like. I would love the building to be still there because it may bring back memories. But unfortunally its knocked down.

At the time of my adoption I believe there was 300 babies there looking for adapoted families. I am with a good family now but unfortually my two brothers died and my father died of a heart attack. My adoptive mother has actually the same name as my birth mother, both are named margaret, I am seeking out my birth mother and would appreciate some help and advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Terri Kiernan

Good luck to you without a doubt this jorney of discovery will lead you to peace and hopefully an abundance of love my son was born in St Pats too sadly he does not want any contact but I go on each day with hope I will never give up hoping he is very much loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 esperanza1978

Hi Anne, my husband and I are just beginning to fill in forms to go through the assessment process but we are at that point of choosing domestic or intercountry. I would love to go for intercountry but money is tight and don't have a clue about agencies fees etc Can you help us? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SpeciousStream

Hi guys, just wanted to introduce myself :)

23, long story when it comes to my adoption. Short version is I know I have an older sister who is still with my original birth family. Have gone through some of the system when it comes to looking for them - nothing I wasnt able to find out for myself unfortunately (was able to find my own birth cert by my self etc)

Recontacted my adoption agency recently to see if any progress has been made on my case, no reply and its been a year.

Still holding out hope though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 queeney

180567 wrote: »

I was also born in St. Patricks, '63, a bit before yourself. I also just watched Philomena, but I read the book a couple of years ago in the library. I have met my birth family on both sides. I am here because I wanted to get in touch with other adopted people and see how they were feeling. I joined a few facebook pages but they were full of angry bitter people with nothing positive to say so I am not interested in that. I am of the belief of the adoptive triad, many people are hurt by adoption and it is important to deal with the consequences of adoption and not to sweep things under the carpet. well for me anyway it is important. You can get information from the society who placed you for adoption. I know St. Patricks is gone now but you can get information, I found out my birth weight, first name of my mother and that she was a non smoker very quickly. I met her around 7 years later. Happy to chat more about this if you are interested. Go for it!

Hi Karl,

I was also adopted from St. Patricks, in '63 though. My mum was 19 at the time.
    what they generally do is to contact the parish priest in the area in which your mother came from. You have your mum's name and birth year and that is a great start. It won't be that handy but firstly look on line for the birth records of all the Mary Ryans born in the same year as your mother. Next go onto the online census. If you have the few Mary Ryans narrowed down at this stage you might be able to find Ryan in the 1911 census and cross reference from there. Or better still go into the registry and look it up.
    Just a few suggestions. Don't give up

• Advertisement

Hi Specious,s

I went through the process back in the 90'. It took 7 years. I wasn't in any hurry though, and it worked out as best as it could. there are no happy endings, but I know who I am now and that feels extremely important. You know, reality as opposed to fantasy. Not sure how to speed the process up for you. I can imagine that if i had been desperate to know then that would have made the waiting much worse. I remember finding out my birth weight and feeling elated, like yes I really was born, it really did happen. The anger came much much later, you could spend the time waiting, processing the personal issues associated with being adopted, will make it a lot smoother when/if you meet your birth parents. Perhaps others don't agree with this, I expect it depends on the person but my Councillor says that all adopted feel it on some level, some more than others. Big long reply but I hope a useful one. All the Best

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mylovex

Hi
    I said I'd post something here as I've been going through the forums to find the right place.
    I am starting a search for my fiances birth mother. i figure that you never know who could be on here and there could be someone here looking for him. I am starting by registering on the adoption authority. And we will go and search birth records to see if we can get origional birth cert and names... Any advice would be great .. Thank you in advance... And also if there is anyone here searching for a son they tried to keep up until more than a year old, were 19 when they either gave him up or hand him... It's not clear to us... He's now aged 32 born New Years.... We have more information and possible name birth surname...
    Thanks 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

I hope this is the right place, but anyway. I am not adopted, but strongly believe that my mother had a girl in St Patricks Navan Road in the 1960's so I guess I am looking for her more than anything else. Not sure how far I will get, if anywhere. Have my solicitor writing to them for any records they have of my mother so we will see where things lead.

I know that there is very little hope of any information but, you know, worth a shot.

Hi Chun,

Welcome to our little forum.
    In addition to your solicitor and any information they may manage to shake out of the authorities- we continue to host the Adoption Ireland Trace Guides HERE which detail how you, as a sibling, can conduct a search for your sibling.

Choose the 'Sibling' option.

If any of us can be of any help- please feel free to post here for further tips.

Kind regards

thank yew.

i will post any updates when they happen. have no idea where this is going and it is daunting and upsetting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...it is daunting and upsetting.
    Hi Chun

It really is both of those things at times but take your time would be my advice.
    I started my search 3 years ago and I sat over each new part of the puzzle for a long time before moving onto the next bit.

Genealogy Forum Mod

well, my journey has come to a sad end. the records say that she was stillborn. i have found evidence also of her grave in the little angels plot in glasnevin. am heartbroken.

i was told by the social worker in the child and family agency that all of the stillborn children from pelletstown/st vincents were buried there, and that the people in the cemetery are very helpful.

i can confrim that this is very true and they were very good with handling the information. i aim to call there tomorrow to see the plot, they can identify where she is.

thanks for reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Very sorry to hear your news Chun the Unavoidable. Heartbreaking😔.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PJD51

Hi Mr Conductor, pjd51 here, i am Mollies daughter from Light in the Window. I no there was a documentary made by 20/20 ABC news where Mollie was interviewed by Barbara Walters and Tom Gerrard for a program called The Lost Children of Ireland. Is there any body using this forum able to help me find this program as i myself have had no luck i would appreciate any help as it would be nice to see mum on film.

regards pjd51

Very to sorry to read that Chun.
    Regards to you and yours.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Chun- really sorry to hear your news too.
    Thinking of you.

PJD51 wrote: »
    Hi Mr Conductor, pjd51 here, i am Mollies daughter from Light in the Window. I no there was a documentary made by 20/20 ABC news where Mollie was interviewed by Barbara Walters and Tom Gerrard for a program called The Lost Children of Ireland. Is there any body using this forum able to help me find this program as i myself have had no luck i would appreciate any help as it would be nice to see mum on film.

regards pjd51

Hi PJD51-

I often wondered what happened to Mollie's daughter- June specifically mentioned you in quite a few of the interviews she gave in 1999- your mother was a remarkable lady, and you were very very lucky that she managed to keep you.

I've spent a few hours looking through documentaries and interviews- you'd be surprised how many there have been. Do you know the name of the documentary? It doesn't seem to be one of the 20-20 documentaries (there is an index and snippets of all 396 episodes online).

If you can get me a name of the documentary- I can try to have it tracked down- I'd love to see it too.

If you have a chance- I'd encourage you to start your own thread in this forum- I'm sure we'd all love to hear of you and your mum's experiences- if you're willing to share.

Best wishes,

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I remember writing in this forum years ago but I said I would introduce myself again as things have dramatically changed in the last year or so.

I'm 25 years old and adopted. I always knew I was adopted as my adopted parents were very open about this and had no shame in telling me. Growing up during my childhood and teenage years there was contact by letters between myself and my adopted father to my birth mum. Again, my adopted father was very supportive in this whole situation and always encouraged me to pursue a relationship with this woman if I so wished. I guess the main reason for this was because my adopted mother passed away when I was about 8 years old.

Throughout my late teenage years and early twenties I didn't really keep in contact with my birth mother and I had sort of lost interest. However, last year I got a call from the social worker asking whether I wanted to get the ball rolling on a potential meet up with my birth mother. I decided to go with it considering that it might as well just happen now instead of going down the route of sending letters back and forth for another couple of years. So in August 2013 I met my birth mother face to face for the first time. It was an incredible experience and we clicked straight away. Again, my adopted father was delighted for me and was looking forward to meeting her someday too.

Unfortunately my adopted father, who was everything to me, passed away about 4 months ago after a short and completely unexpected illness. To say my world came crashing down would be an understatement and I don't think it has truly sunk in that he has gone.

Thankfully, my relationship with my birth mother continues to grow and she has been a great support to me through these difficult times. Her sisters all know about me and in the coming weeks she will be telling her mother, who is a very old fashioned rural woman, about me and also telling her two children (my half brother and half sister) about me. Im incredibly excited/nervous/frightened about how this will all go. So far it has been great and the cynic in me says that somewhere down the line it can't continue to be as good as it has been. I've always wanted a younger sibling (I have on older brother who is also adopted) so i am just hoping to god that the next step will go well.

Anyway, sorry about the long post but I just thought people would be interested in hearing what I had to say and it feels good to tell it too!

I hope everyone who is in the process of finding their biological siblings/parents etc will have a happy outcome like I have had in my experience.

LD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Limerick Dude, firstly sorry that you had to go through the loss of your dad. That in itself is a huge emotional trauma for you. It is lovely to hear that your reunion with your bm worked out so well. Wishing you all the best with meeting the rest of your birth family.

I'll just echo what Ghekko said. Thanks for sharing Limerick Dude.

Genealogy Forum Mod

thank you for the kind words above, and i know that i am now strictly off topic for the forum, but i wanted to post one final update/interesting thing.

i have managed to have the records in the angels plot updated so that my sisters given name is recorded - the interesting bit being that my mothers name seemed to have been deliberately given incorrectly (her given name as opposed to surname) why this is, and who did it, well, that's open to conjecture.

my point being that when searching dont be too specific be a bit general or creative you may just miss out on what you are looking for.

best of luck to you all.

Chun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 barbaraann42

hi .. im 43. was placed for adoption at birth, at the age of 23 I successfully traced my birth mother and father who married after they placed me for adoption .I discovered I had 4 siblings. for many years my parents promised they would tell my siblings about my but it never happened.. I did eventually meet 2 of them and for a short period of time had a relationship with them. then my biologicial mother accused me of trying to wreck her life etc and I should have stayed away.. so I did and 10 year later I have no relationship with any of them except my brother who I txt now and again and we may meet for coffee every year of so.,..i never felt resentment for them for placing me for adoption but I hate them for rejecting me as an adult and causing me so much heart ache when all I wanted was to know them .. I always urge people looking for birth parents to think long and hard about it . meeting your birth mother is not always a bed of roses...
    barbara

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cherry26

My partner was adopted and we are about to start the tracing process, does anyone have any pointers as we are a bit clueless as to where to start

Step 1- is to try to get a copy of your partner's original birth certificate (if you look at the stickies- you can download a step-by-step guide on how to go about this).

Step 2- apply to the agency who handled the adoption for 'non-identifying information'.

Step 3 (and further steps) are dependent on completing steps 1 and 2- and you may need the non-identifying information before you're able to definitively find the birth cert.

Once you've gotten this far- come back here- and we will give you a few more ideas of paths you can explore.

• Advertisement

Hi cherry26 - shout if you need any pointers - we'll be glad to help.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement