Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hairstyle suggestions?

• 16-01-2007 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭

I'm a guy with medium to long hair. I had it really long and then I got it cut so it's all the same length, with the front bit just longer than my chin.

What's annoying me, and has annoyed me since I've had long hair (2 years or so) is that I have curly-ish hair and it frizzes/sticks out 90% of the time.

I don't know what to do with my hair right now. I can get it to look good, but I use way too much gel/anti-frizz cream in my hair and it looks greasy, but otherwise it's a mess. I have pretty thick hair too, which is annoying and makes it hard to control, and straightening it doesn't really make it look good.

I've been thinking of getting it cut medium/short length for a while now. Alternatively, I might see what it's like if I just got my hair thinned out a lot at this length.

So basically looking for hairstyle advice, advice on products to use in my hair etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

get it thinned out, that'll get rid of the weight and thickness, neaten 'er up but you can keep some of the length and cute curls :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

perm ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Do not get it thinned. It'll make your hair even worse!

DO NOT BRUSH YOUR HAIR USING A BRUSH OR COMB. Use your fingers if you really want to brush it but only do this when you are washing hair.

Styling.
    1. Wash hair.
    2. Put Ultra Strong (or Strong) Shockwaves hair gel through hair.
    3. Let dry naturally.

I hope that helps,
    A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

b3t4 wrote:
    Do not get it thinned. It'll make your hair even worse!
    Really? How so?
    b3t4 wrote:
    DO NOT BRUSH YOUR HAIR USING A BRUSH OR COMB. Use your fingers if you really want to brush it but only do this when you are washing hair.
    I used to not comb it at all, but recently I found that using a really fine comb on it when it's wet/just before I gel it helps.... Why this advice?
    b3t4 wrote:
    Styling.
    1. Wash hair.
    2. Put Ultra Strong (or Strong) Shockwaves hair gel through hair.
    3. Let dry naturally.
    Funnily enough, that's EXACTLY what I did/do. The problem is it makes it look greasy and it's hard and doesn't budge. It's also annoying to have to do that all the time, but otherwise it's a mess most of the time.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Really? How so?

The time I had my hair thinned I basically came out with the worst hair cut. It looked like a butcher had been at my hair. It looked scraggy and much worse than it had been. If you want to take the risk go ahead.
    Why this advice?
    Brushing the hair breaks up the curls causing it to freeze. Not being so vigorous with allow the curls to become neater and less freeze prone. Brushing when wet can produce OK results but not the best. Brushing when dry is just a sin. :)
    The problem is it makes it look greasy and it's hard and doesn't budge.
    You're using too much gel then.
    It's also annoying to have to do that all the time, but otherwise it's a mess most of the time.
    Welcome to the my world. If I don't style my hair every day it will turn into a mass of freeze.

Another approach
    1. Wash/Wet hair.
    2. Comb by running your fingers through it.
    3. Put in gel. not too much or not too little, this will take time to figure out.
    4. dry naturally or with a diffuser (the diffuser can give lovely results and means you don't have to walk around with wet hair!)
    5. Once dry, if needed, shake hair either with hands or by shaking your head.

The above only works with lots of practise.
    The only other option I'd say you have it to chop it off or just get over having freeze.

The above works for me a treat and I have a mass of beautiful curls :) Your hair may not be as curly but the same technique works a treat on my sister's hair which would be straight curly, if ya get me.
    Best of luck with it anyways,
    A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

b3t4 wrote:
    3. Put in gel. not too much or not too little, this will take time to figure out.
    Problem is I can be safe, put a lot in, it'll look greasy/wet when dry, but it won't be all frizzy and annoying. Or I can risk putting a small bit in and hoping for the best(often leaving patches where there's no gel(you can't see where you've put it in wet hair)).
    b3t4 wrote:
    4. dry naturally or with a diffuser (the diffuser can give lovely results and means you don't have to walk around with wet hair!)
    What's a diffuser?

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Problem is I can be safe, put a lot in, it'll look greasy/wet when dry, but it won't be all frizzy and annoying. Or I can risk putting a small bit in and hoping for the best(often leaving patches where there's no gel(you can't see where you've put it in wet hair)).

That's why you need a happy medium. It is possible to see where the gel is put in. The hair that has gel on it generally looks smoother in the mirror.

Next time you put gel in your hair try to tell the difference. Squeeze hair or pat dry of excess water before putting gel in which should help with seeing where you've put gel on.
    What's a diffuser?
    It's a yoke that's put on the end of a hair dryer. It looks like this http://www.muimports.com.au/images/Diffuser%20Finger%20Soft%20Styler.jpg They are hard to find though (as are many things when it comes to curly hair)

It helps as it doesn't blow the curls all over the place and cause them to separate and frizz. I find it the bee's knee's.

There's an awful lot of work to this isn't there :)

A.

Advertisement