Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losers who can't actually play...are you one?

Options
  • 16-01-2007 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

This is basically just me complaining.

I've played the range since the heady days of ISS on the PS1. I consider myself quite good at it but I know there's some better.

I've started playing on the Internet but I'm just so fed up of playing one-trick-ponys who's tactic is basically 'pick a team with Ronaldo/Adriano/Drogba/Ronaldhino, get ball, run and shoot'.
    It's just so boring. What annoys me even more is when they set everyone's form to ok. Basically this is an admission that they can't play without a star striker.

Without a doubt all the most enjoyable ISS games I've played have been regular matches like Ireland vrs Poland or some kind of weird East European Derby. Try Chile vrs Peru for a laugh.

Does no one else think that playing with superstars takes the fun from the game?

Score a hat-trick with someone crap like Clinton Morrison and you enjoy it so much more. What's that? Demarcus Beasely got three assists...legend!!! USA!! USA!!!

THIS IS PROPER ISS FUN!! Not...oh look! they couldn't catch up with Drogba and he scored from outside the box...again.

I was playing a guy the other night, I picked Ajax, he picked Lyon based on that. I couldn't believe it?? An actual fun game where he tried to play as opposed to pass to superstar forward and sprint. Probably the first person I've played online who understands the game.

Time and time again I pick weak teams to see people pick Barca/Inter/Chelsea/Brazil. In fairness where the hell in the fun in that?

I'll add for any of the ISS retards playing here that the best way to improve is to play with crap teams, they demand a whole lot more input from the player. You are probably all too worried about your ranking to stop picking the best teams but try it sometime. Winning is about ten times as enjoyable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

I totally agree.

I don't play online, but when I play games with brothers or mates, the rule we have is you have to be a crap team. We regularly play games like United Arab Emirates VS Japan. Then if/when you win the game, you are truly better than your opponent, as opposed to giving the ball to some guy whos faster than anyone else on the field and shooting from an area from which the ball is pretty much guaranteed to go in.

Scoring free kicks with a crap player is immensly more satisfying too.

Also, whatever teams we use, we play a second game and swap controllers just to prove that there was no slight difference in the teams.

EDIT: In ISS Pro Evolution 1, I played the master league without buying any players just to see if it was possible to win it with the original squad, after a few seasons, I got to the stage where I won all of the games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's because people are more interested in their stats that the game. The ammount of Inter v Barcelona games is staggering. All the same though it's much more satisfying when you hammer them with a crap team. My proudest achievement is beating Brazil 6-0 with Ireland. On the flip side, I was hockeyed 4-0 by some Sweddish guy playing as Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I pick Ireland 99% of the time I play pro evo, yeah, you get pretty sick of people not even trying out a crap team when they see you have a crap team. Like even people from England/Spain/France wont even pick their home country, even though they are 10 times better than Ireland, just seems they want to play with the very best team they can. They may as well just create a team with everyone on 99 for everything!

I love playing with the underdogs though, and when I beat someone who picked Brazil, with Ireland, I like to rub it in a bit and say "Maybe pick a team better than Ireland next time?" :p

I picked Ireland for playing the Xtravision Irish Pro Evo thing, I didn't get too far though:D

Here's some of my best with Ireland on PES5. And of course, the best freekick takers, harte and duff:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Sure no matter what game I play, I always pick west Ham. Its great whena deal for Pedro Mendes or Matthew Upson is accepted and he joins the rtanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nice one all, good to see there are other players with their heads screwed on.

I really enjoy the idea of playing different people online but think they released the game too quickly as christmas was coming.

I figure that in a couple of game generations, maybe 1 or two years, the master league will be online.

Now that would rock!!!
    Say 20 different gamers starting with 20 different clubs, all with rubbish players. The players could improve over time and you could trade players between clubs. I figure the best would be a league system whereby you get drawn agains a particular team each week. Then you've got say a week to get your game in before the next weeks match.

Nice video by the way Cormie, particularly like the second goal where Duffer played it on and then ran on to it.

To be honest my favourite ISS times were the masterleague a few generations ago. Where your first team had onje midfielder with over 80 in pass, one winger with over 80 in speed and one striker who could shoot(Hyugens if i remember correctly??). Basically it took about 20 short passes to play through defences, then when you're clean through on goal if you turn correctly to change the angle and hit the shoot button ever so lightly, it just might go in. Bloody great fun though, so many times you'd be holding onto a 1-0 lead only for your drastically unfit players to practically give up in the last few minutes and conceed an equaliser.
    The agony of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

gosplan wrote:
    This is basically just me complaining.

I've played the range since the heady days of ISS on the PS1. I consider myself quite good at it but I know there's some better.

I've started playing on the Internet but I'm just so fed up of playing one-trick-ponys who's tactic is basically 'pick a team with Ronaldo/Adriano/Drogba/Ronaldhino, get ball, run and shoot'.
    It's just so boring. What annoys me even more is when they set everyone's form to ok. Basically this is an admission that they can't play without a star striker.
    If you are as good as you say, you should be able to block shots from Ronaldo/Adriano/Drogba/Ronaldhino the majority of the time.

Regarding Form/Condition, I agree with this - it's very annoying when opponents set this to Nornal.

SofaKing wrote:
    If you are as good as you say, you should be able to block shots from Ronaldo/Adriano/Drogba/Ronaldhino the majority of the time.

Generally you don't even need to block them. Just make sure to stay inside of the player and they usually make their runs towards the corner flag.

A good few times though you have the thing where these players just run straight into you and somehow come out with the ball.

But I'm not as good as I say. As I said I consider myself quite good, I personally know a couple of people who are better then me and I'd say there are a lot more of them.

Basically my rant is about ISS. Without a doubt I consider it to be the best line of games ever. It just bugs me that so many people make it a one dimensional game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The best games I've played involve 2 good teams, and lots of goals (usually with only 1 in the difference). I don't like to watch a load of fat lazy players doddling around on the pitch. It's boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I play online alot too, Usually win most games (just barely, 6/10) I tried to play as shíte teams but people always pick Utd/Inter/Barca etc... and ruin any possible fun.

Gonna keep practicing so I can get better with crappier teams.

cormie wrote:

I picked Ireland for playing the Xtravision Irish Pro Evo thing, I didn't get too far though:D

Here's some of my best with Ireland on PES5. And of course, the best freekick takers, harte and duff:D

Jaysus man, try increase the difficulty! There's another 4 stars that can light up too, ya know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Jaysus man, try increase the difficulty! There's another 4 stars that can light up too, ya know.

Think all of them games are played online and if not, they were played on 6 stars, not 5, son:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Usually if playin some1 from the group they'd pick normal teams (cept janer, nobody but arsenal :rolleyes: ) Fun playin some old firm ones or NI v RoI, dunno if it goes down well at lans though if pick NI and win :eek: even though support rep :D Luv beatin England with Ireland though , lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ya tis annoying, cos Adriano in the new game is unstoppable NEarly every shot he hits go in whether it's with his right, left, head, arse, left elbow whatever.

I tend to either pick Lyon or Liverpool, if i'm playing clubs. But if I'm continuously coming up against Inter, Barce I'll pick one of them. Same with Brazil users, though I tend to pick Argentina for the sheer pace of the attackers.

Another thing that annoys me is serial foulers. Nothing more annoying than a cynical challenge on your player when you're about to hit a killer pass or take a shot. People like that get an instant bad review from me.

And don't get me started on watching the replays....

cormie wrote:
    Think all of them games are played online and if not, they were played on 6 stars, not 5, son:D
    The dufF goal? from inside the box was deffo online against a retard so, Cause there's no way in hell 5/6 star difficulty would let you just stand there doing a little dance for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

playing with west ham last night and using 3 or 4 cbs against any of the big guns worked quite well won 4/5. Seeing my rank is around 100K (****ty eircom router has craped out 9 times in two weeks) its nice to beat someone 2-5k rank. I am not very good but can usually defend well and hopefully get one or three on the break but defo a better game without Adraino I wouldnt mind Henry or Ronaldinho too much Just get rid of the 100% flawless 45 degree adriano shot and its a class game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally I think the game should be played 11 vs. 11 with all the players completely maxed out in every department for their position.

I think the people who get annoyed at people who pick say Real Madrid all the time is because they don't know how to deal with star players and star strikers.
    Just like Adriano can rocket the ball in the game he can do it in real life too.
    If the player is faster than you then you have to do what people do in real life, intercept the pass, or stop the pass from happening, or stop him turning you.

PES 6 is the most realistic version of simulated football there is today, and ultimately, players who play football like its meant to be played will always beat someone of the same skill who just use their star striker all the time.
    I think peoples problem with the star strikers is that they don't know how to defend against them, and then think the game is stupid.

PHB wrote:
    PES 6 is the most realistic version of simulated football there is today, and ultimately, players who play football like its meant to be played will always beat someone of the same skill who just use their star striker all the time.

It is the most realistic version but still not fully there. An edge is given to attacking players which is why you get scores like 2-1 or 3-2 in 10 minute matches. I've never played a 30 minute 0-0 with anyone which is obviously unrealistic.
    PHB wrote:
    I think peoples problem with the star strikers is that they don't know how to defend against them, and then think the game is stupid.

I've seen some people who play the game like rugby. Basically they get their mutant Mohammed Ali forwards to run at an angle and partly barge through the last defender. People exploit this advantage in the game and I feel it makes i tmore unrealistic. This does happen in real life(Ronaldhino's goal vrs Chelsea last year springs to mind) but not as often as you'd think.

I can defend against these people but like I said I don't enjoy playing as the best teams and it gets tough when you've weaker players and defenders who react so much slower to breaking balls. So many times I'd stood up and anticipated the run, had Adriano run straight into me, the ball breaks a few yards and he's onto it way before my player has even turned around.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I've seen some people who play the game like rugby. Basically they get their mutant Mohammed Ali forwards to run at an angle and partly barge through the last defender. People exploit this advantage in the game and I feel it makes i tmore unrealistic. This does happen in real life(Ronaldhino's goal vrs Chelsea last year springs to mind) but not as often as you'd think.

I can defend against these people but like I said I don't enjoy playing as the best teams and it gets tough when you've weaker players and defenders who react so much slower to breaking balls. So many times I'd stood up and anticipated the run, had Adriano run straight into me, the ball breaks a few yards and he's onto it way before my player has even turned around.

People running at you directly is the easiest thing to stop imo. A well-timed slide tackle will always win against that sort of attack. Furthermore, if you defend properly, you should never really be in a position where Adriano can run past you and have a 1on1.

Defending is pretty much the same no matter if you are playing with a good team or a bad team imo. Yes it's slightly easier to rectify a mistake if you have a player with the pace of Rio, but if you have good concentration you really shouldn't be concedding due to this.
    The only thing that changes with good or bad teams is the attack imo. A bad team doesn't attack as well as a good team. I play with good teams, but I can play with bad teams aswell. I will concede the same amount of goals eitehr way, but the difference is in how many you score.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

gosplan wrote:
    It is the most realistic version but still not fully there. An edge is given to attacking players which is why you get scores like 2-1 or 3-2 in 10 minute matches. I've never played a 30 minute 0-0 with anyone which is obviously unrealistic.

A 10 minute gam is supposed to simulate a 90 minute game of football...so those scores are fairly beliveable. Ive had plenty of games finish at 0-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

"Just like Adriano can rocket the ball in the game he can do it in real life too."

Obviously you haven't been watching him play lately, as in the last two years.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote:
    A 10 minute gam is supposed to simulate a 90 minute game of football...so those scores are fairly beliveable. Ive had plenty of games finish at 0-0.

Yeah but my point is it's slightly unrealistic. Take a ten minute section from any football match and chances are no one scores in it. Take a ten minute section from ISS and someone probably will. As the game moves at the same speed, this obviously must mean that it's easier to score in ISS then in real life.

How do they do this? Good players don't really miss shots, power and speed mean more. Generally an advantage given to attacking players.

PHB wrote:
    I play with good teams, but I can play with bad teams aswell. I will concede the same amount of goals eitehr way, but the difference is in how many you score.

So you're saying that your goals conceeded is an average no matter what the team. Basically, that if you play someone as Italy the defence means nothing to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I too find it very frustrating playing online too. I always wait to see who the other person picks, and id say 70% of the time its Inter. Adriano is way too good in the game and like people have said nearly every clean shot he takes goes in.

Also hate people who hack you when youre clean through, but suppose thats part of the game, very very frustrating tho!

Anyways, play WE10 on the PS2 way more than PES6 on the 360, its a much better game

Advertisement