Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roughest Flats in Dublin?

Options
  • 16-01-2007 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Out of these ten different flat complexes , which is the roughest? and ugliest?
    and if you have any storys about any of em do tell..

Regards Sean

Roughest Flats In Dublin? 46 votes

Fairview flats
    0% 0 votes
    Ballymun Flats
    4% 2 votes
    St.Micheals Estate Inchicore
    19% 9 votes
    Dorset St. Flats
    17% 8 votes
    Pearse St. Flats
    4% 2 votes
    Fatima Mansions
    2% 1 vote
    Summerhill Flats?
    21% 10 votes
    O Devany Gardens
    6% 3 votes
    St. Teresa's Gardens
    15% 7 votes
    Sherrif St. Flats
    8% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The ones in Summerhill are pretty naff looking. They've torn some of them down now.

I can't say which are the roughest as I've never actually been into any of the grounds of any flats.

I've a feeling some might take offence at this post/poll..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 brain damaged

yeh but in general ,

a lot of flats are rough , im just seeing which are the worst..

no offence intended..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i dont know what they are called but the flats behind the bridge house pub in dolphins barn are very rough, you just dont go in there if you are not from the area (i work with people from the area and they told me this) and i have drank in the bridge house a few times.

op did you vote for ballymun flats, if so did you base your vote on experience or what you have read in the media or what you have heard?
    im not starting a fight here, im just interested to know

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dolphin House, Fatima Mansions and Oliver Bond never looked too appealing.

I was in the ballymun flats once ,
    and all i can remember is how much i wanted to get out of there..
    it may not be as rough as it once was..
    but it was very rough ina certain era..
    theres still alot of shady charectars around the area too though.

• Advertisement

I was in the ballymun flats once ,
    and all i can remember is how much i wanted to get out of there..
    it may not be as rough as it once was..
    but its certainly very disastrous looking..

it may look disastrous because it is a building site, but i dont think you being there once is a valid enough reason to vote for it. didnt you create a similar thread recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Whatever the flats are that are over by St. James' Hospital. Fatima? Very dangerous in my experience, and not very easy on the eyes either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

admiralgar wrote:
    i dont know what they are called but the flats behind the bridge house pub in dolphins barn are very rough, you just dont go in there if you are not from the area (i work with people from the area and they told me this) and i have drank in the bridge house a few times.

Seagull house or Rutland Flats maybe?

InFront wrote:
    Whatever the flats are that are over by St. James' Hospital. Fatima? Very dangerous in my experience, and not very easy on the eyes either.

they have been knocked down i think. the whole area is being re-developed a la ballymun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I worked in the council for the summer and have had the pleasure of a visit to most of them, never had a bit of trouble at any of them. Having said that i have been kinda scared a few times especially in the sherrif street area its a real getto down there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

How nice it must be to live such a sheltered life...

There ARE no Summerhill flats, Sheriff St flats were knocked years ago. What do you mean by 'Fairview' flats - Poplar Row or Ballybough?

Do you see the city just from Mummy's car as she drives you home?

Have you ever actually BEEN inside one of these flats complexes you seem to find so threatening? Do you still live with Mummy?

'brain damaged' is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

spurious wrote:
    How nice it must be to live such a sheltered life...

There ARE no Summerhill flats, Sheriff St flats were knocked years ago. What do you mean by 'Fairview' flats - Poplar Row or Ballybough?

Do you see the city just from Mummy's car as she drives you home?

Have you ever actually BEEN inside one of these flats complexes you seem to find so threatening? Do you still live with Mummy?

'brain damaged' is right.
    Do you live in one of the listed flats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No flats in Fairview and the flats in Sheriff St. and Summerhill are long gone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

rb_ie wrote:
    Do you live in one of the listed flats?

No I don't, but I have been in many of the complexes, including some of the ones no longer there. There were no higher proportion of idiots than we seem to have all over Dublin.

I have met far 'rougher' characters living in 'nice' areas.

Along with the stupid northside/southside polls and the 'what is the worst area in Dublin?' threads, this sort of poll is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

spurious wrote:
    No I don't, but I have been in many of the complexes, including some of the ones no longer there. There were no higher proportion of idiots than we seem to have all over Dublin.

I have met far 'rougher' characters living in 'nice' areas.

Along with the stupid northside/southside polls and the 'what is the worst area in Dublin?' threads, this sort of poll is nonsense.
    Ah I know what you mean, a lot of people are just going to take the place on face value without having even stepped foot in it. I think its ok for people to say that certain flats are/were the ugliest in Dublin, but its impossible for anyone who hasn't been in them to say which we're/are the roughest.

rb_ie wrote:
    I think its ok for people to say that certain flats are/were the ugliest in Dublin, but its impossible for anyone who hasn't been in them to say which we're/are the roughest.

An 'Ugliest' flats in Dublin would be a very worthwhile thread I think. There are some shockers out there, mostly in the private sector.

The whole area of aesthetics of buildings in Dublin is huge though, sadly for the wrong reasons. There really are some awful awful buildings out there.

Mountain View flats in Summerhill were torn down a few months back. Now that they're gone, you can clearly see the yellow block of flats behind the site. I'm not sure what they're called, or indeed if they'd even be classed as Summerhill, but they look pretty ugly.

I remember years ago, I walked through Summerhill, not actually knowing where I was. I think it was the first time I'd seen so many run down blocks of flats in one place.

Some look fine, but some do look fairly run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

There are no flats in Fairview. Do you mean Ballybough House flats or Poplar Row flats?

Mountain View flats in Summerhill were torn down a few months back. Now that they're gone, you can clearly see the yellow block of flats behind the site. I'm not sure what they're called, or indeed if they'd even be classed as Summerhill, but they look pretty ugly.
    n.

Fairview Flats was a typo
    i meant mountain view flats and got mixed up..
    just so you know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Fairview Flats was a typo
    i meant mountain view flats and got mixed up..
    just so you know..

Not too sure if youve done your cred too much good there OP, Mountain View flats were Summerhill...So where do you mean - Ballybough House flats or Poplar Row flats... or would you just rather tell us about the car your mummy drives? :p
    spurious wrote:
    An 'Ugliest' flats in Dublin would be a very worthwhile thread I think. There are some shockers out there, mostly in the private sector.

The whole area of aesthetics of buildings in Dublin is huge though, sadly for the wrong reasons. There really are some awful awful buildings out there.

Spot on. I nominate the tenement block at the top of Buckingham Street on the west side, opposite the soon to be demolished Sean Tracy House... Who owns these? theyre a flaming disgrace :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Was in one of the ballymun flats about 3 years ago - friend of mine used to live there and she had her 18th birthday there. at around 11 o'clock a couple of drunk 17 yr old girls all decided they wanted more booze (one of them being my girlfriend at the time) and i got talked into walking up as far as the towers with them - that was NOT a fun walk.

well actually in retrospect it was hilarious, but at the time I was ****ting myself :D

ODS wrote:
    I nominate the tenement block at the top of Buckingham Street on the west side, opposite the soon to be demolished Sean Tracy House... Who owns these? theyre a flaming disgrace :mad:

They used to be called Buckingham Buildings. I'm not sure if they have gentrified the name more recently. They had a bit of a refurbishment in the 80s.

I am a teacher in the area and went to visit a child's family in them during the 80s (before refurbishment) and was shocked to see that there was just one bathroom per landing - shared among six families. I was also shown large holes rats had eaten through the bottom of the doors.

It was (and still is) private rented accommodation. Utterly scandalous that whoever owns them is allowed have them in that state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

These theads are nonsense, what good is going to come of this, just a few people going to have unfounded idea of what flats in dublin are rough, i work around ballybough, summerhill, parnel st 3 nights a week and never had any bother.

Pointless.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

what a bunch of snobs you are

don't you know that these flats are only populated by 'real Dublin characters who are the salt of the earth'?

Volvoboy wrote:
    These theads are nonsense, what good is going to come of this, just a few people going to have unfounded idea of what flats in dublin are rough, i work around ballybough, summerhill, parnel st 3 nights a week and never had any bother.

Pointless.

-VB-

I would have backed that up, as I walk home from Clontarf to Parnell Street via Summerhill 3 times a week.. but then I had rocks lobbed at me from a bunch of skangers, as I walked past the old MountainView site on Friday evening. Little sh*ts.
    I don't think they were actually aiming at anyone in particular.. but what do I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've never been in Pearse St flats but i know a couple from there(the man being a well paid bus driver) and they are just like you or me, they dont fit into the stereo-typing of 'tracksuit wearing goldchain plated scangers from flats'.

If you met them on the street, you would think they were from any area, point being..they are just like anyone, bad apples are found everywhere.

I've been to flat complexes in ringsend where i know another couple, place is as safe as houses, managed by residents with fully intact playgrounds for kids to play with cctv, no danger whatsover to the visitor who has this 'prejudged fear of complexes and the people who lives in them'
    And yes to the ignorant, vast majority of residents have jobs and drive cars just like we do!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well noone's saying that everyone who lives in flats is a scumbag. It's the minority, which decides whether a place is rough or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

How many of these threads are gonna come up? There must be at least one a week all usually along the lines "I was in (insert area name) a few years ago and saw somebody shooting up/burned out car/fight/etc." Pointless stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I walked past the Summerhill flats and the Ballybough flats (both now demolished) twice a day every day for a year and I never ever got any hassle. Saying that the buildings were in sh!t, and there were a lot of junkies around the Mountain View Court complex and Summerhill complex, and a lot of the local kids had created a sport out of throwing rocks at buses and cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Katykaboom

Then theres Kilmore flats... I have friends who live in a few different flat complexes... ballybough house, ballymun, sean o casey avenue, and the only thing Im afraid of when I go in there is the kids. I got a lighter to the head the last time I went into Ballybough house, and another time a glass bottle was dropped off the second flor inches from me, all done by the childers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement