Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 3G Broadband

Options

Comments

High latency, so gaming is out.

Their 3G data cards have given us endless problems in work.

Choppy bandwidth..

My advice is avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

ronoc wrote:
    High latency, so gaming is out.

Their 3G data cards have given us endless problems in work.

Choppy bandwidth..

My advice is avoid it.

i work for vodafone in this area....what problems have you been experiencing?...have you tested the USB modem to see if that better suits the company needs?....also have you reported the issues to Data Support and/or Account Manager?.....PM me if you want

i work for vodafone in this area....what problems have you been experiencing?...have you tested the USB modem to see if that better suits the company needs?....also have you reported the issues to Data Support and/or Account Manager?.....PM me if you want
    Yes we have contacted our account manager. I have personally talked to Data support many times.

No we have about 8 cards which are used in laptops so PC cards are what we need.

Driver issues, the cards frequently need to be reinstalled as they arn't recognised anymore.

Sometimes the mobile connect installer won't install over a botched previous version, need to dig through the registry and manually delete files for that.

Loads of problems with them roaming, although that hasn't happened in a while *crosses fingers*, maybe they have given up trying to roam with them!

I have zero faith in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭b0bbie

we also use them in work and they are crap - again avoid at all costs.
    you get told you must be in a bad area, when you are not, you get connected and then dropped nightmare product...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Wirelessdude, I was using the 3G/GPRS datacard very happily for 5 months prior to Christmas getting 3G connection about 90% of the time. Then I lost it (3G that is, GPRS still works but it's a different mast) and when I rang was told that the mast had been flooded (data flooded). Frustratingly they couldn't give me an estimate of when it would be fixed. 4 weeks later it still hasn't been fixed and each time I've phoned they tell me they still can't give an estimate (which is just crazy).

Now I've got to repeat that I was a *very* happy customer previously and they've credited my with one month free so I'm not bitching (too much) but perhaps you can help me get some kind of a resolution here? The mast I'm talking about is the one just outside Rathkeale in Co. Limerick, on the Newcastlewest side.

If you can do something to help I would be most grateful. Or if you could just explain why they can't even estimate when it will be fixed. The mystery surrounding that just leaves me scratching my head wondering if they're not telling me something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

This sounds like "Cell breathing". Your cell has just got asthma.
    It might just be what they're not telling you.
    Not all cells are 3G enabled, and if you're handed off to a neighbouring cell, you'll lose your speed. (Try setting it to 3G only - it helps).

The effective coverage area of a cell shrinks as more data flows through it. Ironically, if you've recommended the service to people
    in your area, you could be shooting yourself in the foot.
    I only found out about this a few days ago :-(

I've a Voda 3G card myself, and I'm miles from the mast.
    It's a very rural area though, and I think a lot of the time I'm
    one of the only users. Most of the time I get a 3G signal, and
    it's usually great - sometimes very slow dns lookups.
    When it knocks back to GPRS, it's a lot slower than single channel ISDN.
    It's also very weather dependent.
    I'm now getting much better coverage after taking the SIM out of
    the vodafone card, and putting it into a Nokia 6680.

I'm cautious that as more people see these cards as "the answer to broadband" they'll find that they stop working reliably.

The same mast that will serve several miles in a quiet area will
    only manage a cell a few hundred metres across in a city.

Get a bigger antenna!

NiallB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 davidf1412

stepbar wrote:
    https://www.vodafone.ie/generic/3gbroadband.jsp?bannerdesc=home_image_P_3g_broadband_100107

Any thoughts on the above? Is it worth switching from Clearsh1te to Vodafone? Is there any difference? HAs anybody signed up yet? What do you think? So many questions :D

For me it's up and down but mostly down - even with 5 bars 3G signal last night I was mainly getting rates in bps and never above 5kbps. And then 0 for long periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

what speed would you be getting with a gprs connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

I've championed the three 3g BB service here for the past cople of weeks but here's where I am coming from -

Up to last September I could only get 16.8kbs on the dial-up - no chance of eircom upgrading this exchange - walterstown 4 miles south of kildare town, covering Kildoon, Nurney & district less than 400 houses on the exchange.

Finally vodafone introduce their €49 a month service - heaven! Was getting speeds of 150 - 160kbs so finally I could do some work from home. Then last week I got the three 3g service with their hsdpa data card and a promise from them that full high speed service would be operational from end of feb.

Speedtest.ie gave speed reports of 320 - 370kbs - so already twice the speed of vodafone and TODAY!!! - amazing - they were obviously testing their high speed transmitter and for about an hour I was effing speeding along at over 3mb and a speedtest reading of 3.484mb at one point.

UNBELIEVABLE - (rememeber I could only get 16.8kbs this time last year!!!!)

Couple of neighbours came in to check it out and it like we've finally arrived in civilisation!!!

On a more serious note, each transmitter can only take x amount of usage, so with vodafone you are sharing with their thousands of customers whereas with three, they only have about 60,000 customers in the country at present with full network, so no speed problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭skeegan

Hi: does anybody know if the Vodafone 3G Broadband modem will work with linux?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

ronoc wrote:
    Yes we have contacted our account manager. I have personally talked to Data support many times.

No we have about 8 cards which are used in laptops so PC cards are what we need.

Driver issues, the cards frequently need to be reinstalled as they arn't recognised anymore.

Sometimes the mobile connect installer won't install over a botched previous version, need to dig through the registry and manually delete files for that.

Loads of problems with them roaming, although that hasn't happened in a while *crosses fingers*, maybe they have given up trying to roam with them!

I have zero faith in them.

indeed we have many of the same problems with them here my advice stay away from the bastard things unless there is no other option

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

skeegan wrote:

I use the Vodafone pcmcia card with fedora core 6.
    Takes quite a bit of setting up, but it is possible.
    Don't know if the USB modem works though.

I got a USB Cardbus Adapter from www.roalan.com in the UK. Cost is £95 and it allows me complete portability and use with any PC or Laptop I wish.

Oter option is to install a PCMCIA slot into your PC - €39 from Peats in parnell st.

No problem yet on connection with three (jaysus - they should change their branding!) - connection time is currently 118 hours 42 minutes without reconnection being required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭6digitnumber

I wouldnt touch Vodafone 3G if i were you. I get a connection that holds for a minute or 2 then stops sending or recieving any data, at this point i have to disconnect and reconnect whereupon I get a connection for another minute or 2 and so on....

When it does decide to work you get speeds that are little better than dialup (and very often worse) for 90% of the time. The only time you see 'broadband' speeds are late at night.

Frustrating as hell, avoid at all costs. Vodafone will have as many happy customers as Irish Broadband if they don't sort themselves out fast.

P.S I had to disconnect/reconnect about 10 times to actually get this message to post...sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 davidf1412

I agree totally avoid it's really bad.
    I wouldnt touch Vodafone 3G if i were you. I get a connection that holds for a minute or 2 then stops sending or recieving any data, at this point i have to disconnect and reconnect whereupon I get a connection for another minute or 2 and so on....

When it does decide to work you get speeds that are little better than dialup (and very often worse) for 90% of the time. The only time you see 'broadband' speeds are late at night.

Frustrating as hell, avoid at all costs. Vodafone will have as many happy customers as Irish Broadband if they don't sort themselves out fast.

P.S I had to disconnect/reconnect about 10 times to actually get this message to post...sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

Hi mcaul,
    I live in Kildoon (close to martins pub) and have had a Vodafone 3G modem from work on test for the last few weeks. Have to say I have found it to be absolutely terrible. Usually I get GPRS with 4 to 5 bar signal strength but the up and down speeds are totally inconsistent, sometimes I see 40 to 50 kbps up but a lot of the time it can be less than 30 and if you have good down then the up is maybe less than 5kbps. I tried using a secure citrix connection to work over it (which works well on 40kbps dialup) and found it be to be terrible.
    Basically i think the problem is one of contention. Might try moving my laptop around a bit to see if there's any improvement.

Cheers,
    Zugvogel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

I bought the modem through the online shop, which I regret now. Should have just got off my ass and bought it in a normal shop.

Got my "contract application" in the post on Friday, which is very confusing. Some parts of the wording conflict with what it says on the vodafone website. So I rang the helpline to clarify some things.

One thing it said on the contract was that if I recieve a GPRS signal, i'm charged on the volume of data sent and recieved. So I asked did this apply to the Modem (the contract was not specific to the modem, it kept referring to my purchase as a phone, handset etc.) and the girl told me it did. i.e. If I can only receive a GPRS signal, I'll be paying 40 euro a month, and then on top of that, Xcent per kb I download. Surly that has to be wrong?

Another thing. If I use the modem, take it out of the packet etc, can I still bring it back under the 14 day returns period. In the contract it was saying its a 7 day period and you CANNOT use the PHONE. But on the website, it says you can bring it back FOR WHATEVER REASON after 14 days.

The helpline girl did say it was a 14 day period but in my haste I forgot to push her on the actually using it and the bringing it back aspect of things.

I think Vodafone should draw up a contract which is specific to the 3g modem. What I got was basically a contract for a pay monthly phone. Bit lazy I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The latency on 3G etc is about 5 times dialup, so mousing on a remote/virtual desktop can be interesting...

I
    One thing it said on the contract was that if I recieve a GPRS signal, i'm charged on the volume of data sent and recieved. So I asked did this apply to the Modem (the contract was not specific to the modem, it kept referring to my purchase as a phone, handset etc.) and the girl told me it did. i.e. If I can only receive a GPRS signal, I'll be paying 40 euro a month, and then on top of that, Xcent per kb I download. Surly that has to be wrong?

Indeedy, I hope that is a mistake about the GPRS. That sounds VERY scary money. GPRS instead of 3G will be common enough.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I bought the modem through the online shop, which I regret now. Should have just got off my ass and bought it in a normal shop.

....................... Bit lazy I must say.

That is being extremely charitable - the behaviour of isps in relation to terms and conditions is in many cases a disgrace and they get away with it mainly because people don't read them and for those who do read them it is virtually impossible to get any answers to the various anomalies that are often in them.

• Advertisement

zugvogel wrote:
    Hi mcaul,
    I live in Kildoon (close to martins pub) and have had a Vodafone 3G modem from work on test for the last few weeks. Have to say I have found it to be absolutely terrible. Usually I get GPRS with 4 to 5 bar signal strength but the up and down speeds are totally inconsistent, sometimes I see 40 to 50 kbps up but a lot of the time it can be less than 30 and if you have good down then the up is maybe less than 5kbps. I tried using a secure citrix connection to work over it (which works well on 40kbps dialup) and found it be to be terrible.
    Basically i think the problem is one of contention. Might try moving my laptop around a bit to see if there's any improvement.

Cheers,
    Zugvogel

Vodafone is crap down there - even for voice calls. Their mast is on the monaterevin side of Kildare town. Their 3g servcie just about gets to the forest on The Commons. The 3 service works a treat in Kildoon - tested it in Martin's carpark and got full service with over 1.2mb. - Told Paddy (in the bar) about it too! - Also works in Nurney - If you like I can show you the speed of service some evening

skeegan wrote:

Not the USB one.

Netgear & Linksys obviously have Linux drivers for the PCMCIA/PCcard version for their routers.

I'd say for anything no ton the box, you want a desktop Netgear or Linksys router that takes the Vodaphone PCMCIA/PCcard. Generally though these are similar to the DSL or Cable or Ethernet WAN versions, they cost more due to lower volume and the SW is customised for each operator. You probably need to get it from Vodaphone.

watty wrote:
    The latency on 3G etc is about 5 times dialup, so mousing on a remote/virtual desktop can be interesting...
    Actually, it varies wildly.
    I've had some very usable remote desktop sessions using NX.
    That said, I'm not a big mouse user.
    Don't let the virtual desktop software (vnc/NX/rdesktop whatever)
    imagine you've a broadband link.
    Tell it to act as if it's a 128k ISDN link,
    and your mileage may improve a lot.

NiallB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

watty wrote:
    Indeedy, I hope that is a mistake about the GPRS. That sounds VERY scary money. GPRS instead of 3G will be common enough.

It is a mistake I use the Vodafone connect card and have never been charged extra for using GPRS.

ditto.
    There's no charge for going to gprs.
    I wouldn't have gone near it if there was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 paulm1

Hi Mcaul & Vogel ........... today Mar 2nd actually had HSDPA signal from Vodafone in Kildoon was getting 1.8Mbs consistently for about 2 hours. Actually managed to download 1.3 gigs of stuff. Now that was from about 4:30 to 6:30 until you guys or someone esle came online!!! I didn't realise there were so many people in our area looking for BB. Is 3 as good as it sounds ? I have had vodafone tech support on to me every day for the last week asking how the service has been going. To be honest I thought is was a lot better till tonight but it sounds like they are trying ot something !!....... As one of the guys earlier it was working perfect till about November then bang!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

had a usb modem, appaling. slower than dial up speeds in the sticks of kerry.
    returned it and got billed a 17e line rental fee?
    coc* su*****.

got a 3 data card, connecting a hsdpa speeds now.

voda can fcunk off with themselves, all thier advertising, CL etc. and utterly crap treatment of custmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

ronoc wrote:

Ditto that I'm afraid.

Nothing but problems with the wireless connect PC cards in laptops. Worst I've had was dragging a brick of a laptop to Brussels only to find the vodafone card looking for reinstall at every startup. Blocked USB ports too so no memory key and no PowerPoint... Would be wary of trusting the system. Usually bring my mac now and find a wireless cafe.

Reckon a wait-and-see could be the best approach to this 'till the technology gets sorted or customer 'service' improves.

<lol- but of course legs11 above said it better....>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

legs11 wrote:
    had a usb modem, appaling. slower than dial up speeds in the sticks of kerry.
    returned it and got billed a 17e line rental fee?
    coc* su*****.

got a 3 data card, connecting a hsdpa speeds now.

voda can fcunk off with themselves, all thier advertising, CL etc. and utterly crap treatment of custmers.

Just wait until something with the Three card goes wrong ( i hope for your sake it doesnt) i have both vodas and Threes data cards and im telling you Vodafones customer service is 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000x better than that of Three.

• Advertisement

I dropped back a 3 card after two weeks cooling off period because it didn't work here.
    I got billed for €17 or so too - 2 weeks line rental.
    Seemed a bit of a swizz as there was only 1.6M transferred in the two weeks
    when I checked in Dublin to see if the card actually worked.
    Makes perfect sense though, and is fair enough considering you're being released from the contract. Interesting to hear Voda and 3 are taking the same approach.

NiallB

Advertisement