Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do people collect here?

• 17-01-2007 12:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Only discovered this forum tonight!!!

What kind of pieces do people on here collect or look for? Silver, jewellery, porcelains, coins, etc.?

Just curious.

David.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Welcome Fey!, this is the liveliest forum on boards! Surprised you didnt hear of it sooner (:p :p )

Anyway, what do I collect, well you can see by a couple of my threads here that I try to collect, and have some possesions from the 1798 period, both authentic and replica. As real flintlocks are on the expensive side I pick up the odd replica one, my latest piece being a Brown Bess.

Apart from that I have a small militaria collection from WWI and II, I used to be big into WWII years back, but went off it in recent years. As well as that militaria from that period is damn hard to find now in markets and such :(

And apart from that again, anything relating to local history really, newspapers, documents, pictures etc etc.

Or any old thing thats interesting and has a story :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

Out of interest, who would you recommend around the country for militia, medals and their ilk?

I will say now that I am a dealer, but not in militia - I know nothing about it, so I steer clear of it. The reason I ask is because I get a lot of customers looking for those types of pieces, and I'd like to be able to send them to someone good who can sort them out.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In the past(and the odd time now) I've collected antiquities, the odd bit of furniture(art deco/nouveau) and watches. Anything unusual really. The general antique stuff can leave me cold. Porcelain, Beswick(sp) figures and all that I could never see the gig with tbh. The Victorian stuff that makes up a lot of the dealer stock in Ireland doesn't really appeal. Prices can be a bit mad here to boot.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Fey! wrote:
    Out of interest, who would you recommend around the country for militia, medals and their ilk?

I will say now that I am a dealer, but not in militia - I know nothing about it, so I steer clear of it. The reason I ask is because I get a lot of customers looking for those types of pieces, and I'd like to be able to send them to someone good who can sort them out.

Thanks.

There's a regular militaria fair in the North Star Hotel in the north strand.I'm not sure of the bloke who organises it as i havnt been in ages.There's also a bloke in the powerscourt centre i think he's on the first floor,he's not cheap but he wont sell you any fakes.Also there's Yesteryear at the top of o'connel street(garden of remeberance end),he has a lot of military stuff ans well as costumes and props for hire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Fey! wrote:

Woops....forget to reply to that :o

Anyway, I used to pick up a lot of my stuff in a market in Kilkenny, CastleInch on the Callan road, used to be a good place, but in recent years there's been nothing there and I gave up going. Flea-Bay (E-Bay:D ) is where I get the most of my stuff now, or off internet dealers in general, some good stuff out there once you find it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭RaiseTheBlinds

i collect anything and everything that is odd or unusual,..... i have managed to gather Islamic art, rugs, antiquities, tibetan art , oriental porcelain, and african art.
    if its ethnic ,...i got to have it !!!

wibbs ,... where did you manage to find your antiquities in ireland ??
    its rare that they come up in irish auction houses.
    been thinking of taking a trip to london for a little spending spree some time soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea very rare for that stuff to show up here. London would be better and I would suggest the internet. there are some reputable sites not selling fakes. A lot do especially egyptian stuff. 90% of which are fake. This guy often has some interesting small pieces which are authentic. http://www.coins-and-artefacts.co.uk/ Stay away from places like the sadigh gallery. http://www.sadighgallery.net/shopping.php 99.9999% of his stuff is fake. In fact a browse through there is a good lesson in fakery. There are a very few ebay sellers that are genuine but they're in the minority. things to look for; money back guarantee, no hidden bidding. High feedback is ok but it often means means nada as too many people are clueless about this stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭RaiseTheBlinds

thanks Wibbs,...
    ive actually been checking out some reputable coin dealers which also offer relatively cheap antiquities !

have a browse thru vcoins.com , even spinks have a slot there.

buying on the net is risky though.......ebay is a big no-no.

have a large bronze age sword and some other interesting things.
    ill let you know what i get when i get them :)

thanks,
    R.T.blinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jim79

I am a complete novice when it comes to coinage. I am aware that from the earliest times counterfeiting has been a problem.

My question: is counterfeiting of irish coinage prevalent and if the buyer has a keen eye can they avoid the pit falls of buying fakes. i assume that in all currency the most vaueable is most likely to have fraudsters.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Jim79 wrote:
    I am a complete novice when it comes to coinage. I am aware that from the earliest times counterfeiting has been a problem.

My question: is counterfeiting of irish coinage prevalent and if the buyer has a keen eye can they avoid the pit falls of buying fakes. i assume that in all currency the most vaueable is most likely to have fraudsters.

Fortunately counterfeiting of Irish coinage isn't prevalent except on some of the really rare stuff. Indeed a keen eye will spot a fake a mile away, sometimes even just from an ebay picture, other times you need the coin in your hand. I think you're quite safe in this regard, if you're thinking of buying something particularly valuable in Irish and you're in doubt, just give me a shout. One word of advice however is that ebay is not always the cheapest place to buy Irish coins, so get your values right and don't get carried away bidding, especially against newbies.

Also bare in mind that early (contemporary) counterfeits of Irish coins are usually worth a lot more than official ones! You also have what are known as Evasive coinage which were basically intended to deceive but were very different to official coinage so that they couldn't be accused of counterfeiting and have their hands cut off. Theres a whole series of Irish ones of these and are quite collectable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Airline badges, like pilot pins and flight attendant wings. There are lots of neat ones out there from many, many airlines. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Beer mats & trainers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i collect coins, notes, bottle caps and stuff from places i have been (receipts, train tickets, etc..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Furniture and pottery from 1870 to 1950. i love antiques and am currently reupholstering 2 art deco arm chairs i picked up for E4 at a neighbours auction (no one else knew what they were!) I also collect farm implements with my uncle and display them at vintages.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bins

ashtrays:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭source

Police patches and badges from around the world, only starting this collection, but there's quite a lot out there.

Advertisement