Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT5 or CAT6 new network + network card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Cat 6 is better than Cat 5 for speed, make sure you get Shielded Cable as well otherwise you will get interferance from other power sources

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

Just remember, if using CAT 6, then all the components (cable, patch cables, connectors) need to be certified for CAT 6, otherwise it'll run at the rate of the lowest standard used.

Wether to go shielded or not depends on the length of cable, whether there is electrical cables running alonside it or not etc.

Personally, I'd go for unshielded CAT 5e, you'll get decent gigabit ethernet from it.

What length will each cable segment be?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

If I had the chance again.

And you have the cash.

Go down the Fiber route.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

curious how much dearer is the fibre option?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Cheers for the info lads, how much better is CAT6 over CAT5? How much dearer? Which network card + would a switch be better than a hub.

The longest wire will be roughly around 35 to 45 feet (will be ran under carpets and down stairs).

Also would I be better just to run 1 wire downstairs to a hub, switch then connect the other wires there?

I don't think I could get the xbox connected with fibre unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If i was installing a new network, as you are, I would definately go with CAT6 for future-proofing. A switch is always better than a hub also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

beolight wrote:
    curious how much dearer is the fibre option?

Buying pre-terminated fibre, wouldn't cost to much, but the hardware costs would be fairly high. Your best bet is getting a used fibre switch on eBay, it's still going to cost a few hundred at least. Then there's the fibre network cards...

This would be ideal, both fibre and copper ports on it. You wouldn't need to put fibre cards into everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Cheers again lads will have a look around for some prices, will just go with the cheap network card from ebay cant see to much of a differance between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 adrianliang

Fiber Optic cable is the best choice~

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

uhmmm, you are 10 months late :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement