Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Getting started

Options
  • 17-01-2007 6:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

Right, I came across this forum and damn... this game sounds insanely good. I checked the official website and I'm just wondering ... do you need the 32mb graphics card or can you turn off lighting etc? I'd really like to play this on my laptop but I've no graphics card, putting it on the desktop might suck some of the random fun out of it I'd imagine.
    Also... is Eve widely available in game shops or has it disappeared with time?

I'm strangely excited at the prospect of sacrificing any social life for this game. That's so very wrong.... yet it strikes me as being so right! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

appears to work reasonably well on low spec machines. I have it installed on a
    Tablet PC
    and I can play the game. Not as good as my other machine but playable.

You can get a trial account for free and if you don't like it or doesn't work you can skip paying for it. Trial limits you on what ships/skills you can fly/buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

Also... is Eve widely available in game shops or has it disappeared with time?

I'm strangely excited at the prospect of sacrificing any social life for this game. That's so very wrong.... yet it strikes me as being so right! :D

The Eve client is available via download here I've being playing about three months now and its an excellent game, it can be a bit of a timesink sometimes, but great fun.

Join the irish channel when in game as thats where all the action is! :D hope to see you online soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

ive been playing for 2 years and in that time ive played
    city of villains...quit
    Everquest 2....quit
    World of warcraft....SO QUIT

When i get bored/tired/frustrated with eve i set a long skill (battleship 5 40+days) and take a break. then come back re-invigorated. Love this game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

jaggeh wrote:
    When i get bored/tired/frustrated with eve i set a long skill (battleship 5 40+days) and take a break. then come back re-invigorated. Love this game :)

That's possibly the best aspect of EvE. Characters aren't necessarily ordered according to how much playtime they get; in most MMORPGs your character is only as good as how much time you spend playing. Though, the flipside is that you'll never have as many skillpoints as an older character played by a sensible player. So it has it's disadvantages too.

There definitely is a role in the game for low skillpoint characters though, and this is again where it stands out. In most of the MMORPGs that I've played the only role of a 'low-level' character is to gain experience and become a higher level character, beyond that they don't really have a purpose in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Sp's mean nothing after a certain point assumeing you spec in 1 race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

If you specialize in the right areas you can easily beat an older player, age isn't everything :D

bizmark wrote:
    Sp's mean nothing after a certain point assumeing you spec in 1 race

Sure, but content will be added to cater for the older characters, you're not going to be flying titans with a 6 month old character and content will continually be added in such a way.

Though, tbh, I don't consider it a big deal personally. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

tbh I have never learned any skills for a ship bigger than a cruiser

I fly EW, ECM Frigs, Inty's, and have taken down cruisers easily with a decent setup, No BS yet though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

tba wrote:
    tbh I have never learned any skills for a ship bigger than a cruiser

I fly EW, ECM Frigs, Inty's, and have taken down cruisers easily with a decent setup, No BS yet though :(
    Meh ... BS's are a very good way to part with a lot of isk quickly .... If you are starting out in PvP, go for T1 BS's (alright, the scorp is not great ... may have to go for a raven if you are caldari) ... T1's arent great but they are great fun and you wont lose as much when you get popped .....

Personally, for PvP, I would go for the new BC's .... or manybe a nanophoon or nanodomi ....cheap(ish) and cheerful

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Drake for the mfuckin win! Tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

drakes are anti-fun bore-mobiles

try getting a cruiser up to inty speeds and mwd around with rockets

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

this is all flying over the newbies head. :) Join BIE corp we will sort you out with funds and resources to get your wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

jaggeh wrote:
    drakes are anti-fun bore-mobiles

try getting a cruiser up to inty speeds and mwd around with rockets

Drakes just happen to be a seriously good ship TBH, I'm still not sure what to make of the Rokh thou.

The Rokh needs a very decent amount of sp's in gunnery to be effective and if you run up against small frigates rails seem to be next to useless you may as well throw buns at them.

The Rokh needs a very decent amount of sp's in gunnery to be effective and if you run up against small frigates rails seem to be next to useless you may as well throw buns at them.

Which is the way it should be imho. You shouldn't be able to run around solo in a battleship and be able to deal with anything. Battleships should (imho) be gang ships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Downloading the client now... excitement! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

So where do you sign up for this 'free' 30-day trial account then?

All I see is "enter CD Key", or pay $19.95 to create an account with 30-days playtime.

?

Its a 14 day free trial

https://secure.eve-online.com/ft/?aid=100972&nogreet=1

Dowload the client first though

Right... so I'm set up and running in the world of Eve. Nice. Username is "Marshall Jackhammer" . Already chatted to some people on the Irish channel, very helpful and a nice "darkireland" gave me some precious isk.

Finished the tutorial, went into my second pirate hunting mission and got royally destroyed. Nasty. Currently waiting 59minutes until my first bantam is ready to fly. Hurrah.

So, where do I go from here? I was hoping to set up as a bit of an engineer/privateer... building a few ships, killing a few pirates... but jaggeh has already dashed that dream, so where do I go now to build my fortune? I'm Caldari, picked the engineering profession... just bought a bantam. Other then that I dunno what I'm up to. I've already wandered into some dodgey territory in search of a cheap Bantam, so now I'm all wary of all you big ship flying bastids! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Ah yes Marshall Jackhammer, you're already destined to become a legend of the Irish chat channel.

Oh now you have your Bantam you should fly to PNQY-Y and aggress on everything you see, Xelas fear the mighty Bantam. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

[R0ot's] Foot, Perfectly Strikes [Darc's] Ass Wreaking for a Sore Hole! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

R0ot wrote:
    [R0ot's] Foot, Perfectly Strikes [Darc's] Ass Wreaking for a Sore Hole! :D

Ok ok I'll give it a rest :D

Just couldn't resist.

So, where do I go from here? I'm Caldari, picked the engineering profession...

Just so you know, you didn't pick a profession, all that start up thing affects is your stats. Stats affect the speed that skills train. You haven't selected a profession, you have selected an aptitude. You can train any skill and be any profession, it may just take longer to train certain skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

tba wrote:
    Just so you know, you didn't pick a profession, all that start up thing affects is your stats. Stats affect the speed that skills train. You haven't selected a profession, you have selected an aptitude. You can train any skill and be any profession, it may just take longer to train certain skills.

There's also the matter of the 800,000 skill points and where they were spent...

Thats a mute point as those skills can still be trained at a later date.

Righteo, so it's off to this PNQY-Y to challenge this Xelas guy/girl. I might have to equip some weapons to the Bantam first, I have the feeling my twin mining lasers won't be very effective at range... though with some plucky flying, who knows?! Hurrah! The quest is afoot! :D

Advertisement